St Crispins Day

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

St Crispins Day

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:08 am

Hi All

Just a reminder that today October 25 is St Crispin's Day.

A small quote:

But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

W.S.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Anna

#2 Post by Anna » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Geez, I hope there aren't any French people on the site. We'd start the hundred years war all over again :wink:

Archers ready!

buzz

#3 Post by buzz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:29 pm

pffft! bring it on! :lol:
I've already taunted a friend who went from being an MG car owner to most recently having a Renault. I suggested we should do penetration tests on a Renault door skin but he wasn't into it :lol: .

Despite the trend of revisionist historians to be diminishing the stories of yore, none have yet managed to get away from the basic fact that outnumbered British archers wiped out the finest the French had to offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Crispin%27s_Day

Mububban

#4 Post by Mububban » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 am

Just make sure all our friends don't go believing the crud on the Battlefield Detectives Agincourt "investigation." What a load of bunk that was. Long thin chain mail piercing bodkins used against plate steel, not actually fired from a bow - being an archer, and my girlfriend being a scientist, and both of us being somewhat into history in general, we were BOTH disgusted at the innaccuracies of the whole show.

But hooray for archers, just in general :)

And (supposedly) that one arrow at Hastings changed the whole course of European history as well. Archers may have been the oft-overlooked poor sods from peasant stock, but they sure had their part in changing world history.