Reasons for Crafting Custom Arrows

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

MaylandL

Reasons for Crafting Custom Arrows

#1 Post by MaylandL » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:43 pm

The thread showcasing arrows of other ozbowers got me thinking...

Apart from the technical aspects of having a matched set of correctly spined and weighted arrows, what makes people spend time of customising their arrows?

Why do we spend time to decorate them, make choices about fletch types, bind fletches, choose points/broadheads, make self nocks etc.

Initially, for me it was a case of necessity because the commercially avaliable wooden arrows weren't suitable for the bows I was shooting. Yeah I could have stuck with aluminiums but it didnt seem right for me to shoot aluminiums out of a horsebow or vintage recurves (I do have a set of easton legacy aluminium arrows that I shoot occasionally). Alternatively, I could have kept wood arrows very basic - lacquered shaft, three glued fletches, standard field point and a plastic nock.

The customisation of the arrows and the effort in putting together a wood arrow with horn self nocks, bound fletches etc is therapuetic for me. Its an escape from the job stresses. Plus its very satisfying to have a custom set of arrows that is clearly identified to you and is somehow a reflection of your personality. Its very satisfying to make something for yourself and others in the knowledge that its useful and looks good. For me half the fun of trad archery is making my own kit, whether its matched arrows or leather accessories.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:22 pm

To be quite honest, i loath making a custom set of arrows!
The amount of time that goes into them is something I don't have allot of and when I do get time to myself, there's heaps of other things I'd rather be doing.

Having said that, I hate shooting basic arrows that look like they came from the local disposals store. :? You see the problem? I have to have arrows that are as near to perfect as possible and beautiful to look at ( kinda makes up for the ugly mug shooting them :D ) but I don't like spending the time to make them, so for me, it's a necessary evil. I will put off making a new set as long as possible. :lol:

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:05 pm

I enjoy making my arras and it's another area that I can personalize my equipment. It's part of the whole Trad experience for me.

It is also a way of keeping the art of crafting wood arras alive!!!

Jeff
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hood

#4 Post by Hood » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 pm

I guess it comes back to personal preference as to what one wants to do with their arras.

I for one ahd a ball making mine and will do so again soon. But like Buford time is an issue.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

jaselpool

#5 Post by jaselpool » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:35 pm

I agree totally MaylandL. It's a time-out therapy induced thing for me as well. I find myself lost in making the best set of arrows I can and the more I make the more I enjoy it. I am generally a really busy person, career, family, house renovation, bass player in a band, running a music community website, but I seem to be able to find the time to make them somehow and devote the time required - I'm even taking orders for other people as well!!

It's a good job my other half is a trad archer as well otherwise I'd be in deep trouble :D

J
>>––––––>
New trad archery items now in stock! THE LONGBOW SHOP

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 pm

I really enjoy making arrows. There's something very pleasant about creating something useful with your hands and it's even more enjoyable if what you have created both works perfectly and looks agreeable.

Really, if you are a keen archer, there's no choice, you have to make your own arrows. Store bought arrows are plain and ugly and top shelf custom arrows are just too expensive to be practical. You need to be satisfied that your arrows are made from quality components, so making your own is the only way to go for most of us.

I find arrow making to be therapeutic as it forces me to concentrate and focus on the job at hand rather than my usual 101 worries that constantly plague all of us.

There's another reason why I like making arrows and I suppose it comes down to expressing my creativity. I often daydream and think about different arrow combinations of colours and components and there's only one way to tell for sure what the idea will look like "in the flesh" and perform in the field, that's to actually make them and test them. It's all a part of the rich and enjoyable tapestry of traditional archery. Often the ancillary aspects of archery turn out to be very enjoyable in their own right.

I'm even thinking of branching out into full colour arrows and stepping away from the security of my much loved wood stained/white crown dip with either white or grey barred fletching. It's a big step though and it will take some time and courage. :P :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

buzz

Re: Reasons for Crafting Custom Arrows

#7 Post by buzz » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:04 pm

MaylandL wrote:Why do we spend time to decorate them, make choices about fletch types, bind fletches, choose points/broadheads, make self nocks etc.
Because we can?

I mean.... in a way the whole idea of tradition is that it is doing as per what was done before, and we want to be the equal of our forebears or at least follow in the spirit of their footsteps doing as they did, honouring and recognising what they learnt and keeping alive an old world skill and knowledge.

Plus i get a kick out of seeing that I can do something.....

Mububban

#8 Post by Mububban » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:55 pm

It seems a logical connection between those of us who wish to do thigns the old fashioned way, and want to keep history's skills and practises alive.

Being in a historical group, we only allow wooden arrows for our 6 monthly competitions. So it's not much use practising with carbons or aluminiums AND have to master your woods as well.

I can't paint or draw for nuts, but I like expressing some creativity through photography, and making thigns from leather, and now arrows as well. I like the satisfaction of saying "I made that, and it ever works too!" :)

Thanks to this site, and seeing Mayland's gorgeous arrows in person, I've recently started cresting arrows, using barred feathers, using brass bullets as well as field points, and soon I'll experiment with splicing feathers and horn reinforced self nocks.

For me it's keeping "the old fashioned way" alive, and the satisfaction of making something with my own two hands, even though I'm not a nturally crafty person.

jcm

arrow making

#9 Post by jcm » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Being a mass producer of arrows- I do it for my work and the massive
glue hit I get. From alloy,carbon and wood shafts each one gets what is required in time,fletches,glue,nock and point.
So I doff my hat to those that craft their master pieces.
Keep handcrafting your arrows so I can admire the art.

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Steve started making arrows about 16 years ago, when we shot longbows and first moved to Queensland, because 5/16" shafts (for me) just were not available. So he started making Oregon shafts for both of us, and he hasn't looked back.
To say it is a passion to him would be an understatement. Although I am biased he does make a beautiful set of arrows, not just for me, for himself and now others as well, I mean who else can say they shoot a set of matched footed laminated 5/16" shafts, for a 22" draw.......
It is definately an art in itself.
So I guess it's all my fault really - oh well, what else is new, ......
sue

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:38 am

Mayland

More thoughts.

It is obvious from the posts here that many of us get a huge of amount of pleasure from decorating our arrows. However we don't seem to decorate out bows as much - if at all. That is strange given that there are a fair few bows being made and if you read the traditional bowyers bible there is a fair bit about decorated bows.

I now have the urge to go and carve small heads into the nocks of a couple of bows and perhaps decorate some others.

Does anyone decorate their bows??
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

MaylandL

#12 Post by MaylandL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:26 am

GrahameA wrote:...More thoughts.

... However we don't seem to decorate out bows as much - if at all. That is strange given that there are a fair few bows being made ....

Does anyone decorate their bows??
The bows I have arent decorated as such but I do like the natural finish and the leather wrapping. I have see carving on nocks and there are other adornments on bows. According to Stephen Selby on ATARN, horsebows were decorated. Grozer archery does make decorated turkish bows. Anysia would love to get one of decorated turkish bows.

Happy shooting all :)

Iceman

#13 Post by Iceman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:45 pm

I really enjoy setting up my own arrows with some form
of cresting and fletching.I shoot 5/16" shafts which are
not really easy to get here in New Zealand so when they
are available I buy at least 2 dozen.What I do is straighten
them then put a dozen aside with a lot of rubber bands
holding them together.The other 12 I stain up to 10" from
the end and then paint the nock end a colour to make the
fletching end stand out.My cresting is not super flash but
it is personal to me.I then do the seal coat etc.
I find that even though it is very time cinsuming it is great
to go up the club to shoot something different to other people.
I find it is very relaxing way of spending my spare time and my
family always comment if I have done a good job.One of the
other club members has started to do the same.It is great to
keep the traditional ways going in a very hectic world.
Ray

May Your Feathers Stay Dry and Your Aim True.

archangel

#14 Post by archangel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:15 pm

Good thread MaylandL. I liked the responses and especially support the comments made by Buzz;
I mean.... in a way the whole idea of tradition is that it is doing as per what was done before, and we want to be the equal of our forebears or at least follow in the spirit of their footsteps doing as they did, honouring and recognising what they learnt and keeping alive an old world skill and knowledge.
For me, revisiting the traditional skills I tried to learn as a young person is pure therapy. When I was growing up in NZ, two of the greatest bowyers were still practicing: Syd Mitchener and Jimmy Hincho. I regret that I could have learned so much from Syd, as I know he was keen to pass on his craft before he died. His arrows and bows were beautiful. By trying to make our arrows better and better honours those who have gone before.

IMHO, we have an obligation to pass on our skills - and maybe one day, some one will remember us on a forum just like this.

buzz

#15 Post by buzz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:02 pm

GrahameA wrote:Does anyone decorate their bows??
I for one like to see the beauty of the woods speaking for themselves. A short recurve bow or horse bow at full draw also has a beauty in itself. While a compound hunting bow with cam wheels, bow quiver and full sights has a harsh, sharp industrial/functional appearance and looks good in its own right, the simplicity and flowing curves of a recurve look good as well.

I have found that my quiver has more and more adornments hanging from it as time goes by. And a bracer I made features a celtic animal motif burned into it. Perhaps we just can't help ourselves from personalising the things we make for ourselves.

hellier

#16 Post by hellier » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:44 pm

gunna play devils advocate here...
in times gone by there was a fletcher..that was his job...the names are in the phone book...so was a bowyer...that was his job...hunter...him too....fisher...et all....me, my last name is mason... :shock: ..no hand shakes needed or required...but look at what you can do given the time to have a pass time.... :idea:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

buzz

#17 Post by buzz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:49 pm

hellier wrote:gunna play devils advocate here...
in times gone by there was a fletcher..that was his job...the names are in the phone book...so was a bowyer...that was his job...hunter...him too....fisher...et all....me, my last name is mason... :shock: ..no hand shakes needed or required...but look at what you can do given the time to have a pass time.... :idea:
Think yourself lucky.... my surname is Neal.... somewhere back in the mists of time a forebear got their knees very dirty.... :shock: :?

perry

#18 Post by perry » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:25 pm

Fella's it's a natural progression to make your arrows purty. I got hold of some genuine imitation snakeskin[actually its flanelette with a snake skin pattern for $2.99 a metre at spotlight] and have been decorating my selfbows for years with it
One day I suddenly realized that footing broken arrows was easy after I read an article by Glenn Newal in archery action.Soon after I started doing nock reinforcing and then I ended up with cresting , thats still one job I struggle with .
Can make presentable arrows when I get the time but I really admire some of the cresting many of you fella's do.When you tire of purty arrows the next step is not making any old quiver but one with full on embossing and carving- now thats time,like 26 hours on my last quiver and 6 or 7 on an armguard . Dont ask me to post photo's I struggle with this.
regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

jaselpool

#19 Post by jaselpool » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:02 am

perry wrote:Fella's it's a natural progression to make your arrows purty. I got hold of some genuine imitation snakeskin[actually its flanelette with a snake skin pattern for $2.99 a metre at spotlight] and have been decorating my selfbows for years with it
One day I suddenly realized that footing broken arrows was easy after I read an article by Glenn Newal in archery action.Soon after I started doing nock reinforcing and then I ended up with cresting , thats still one job I struggle with .
Can make presentable arrows when I get the time but I really admire some of the cresting many of you fella's do.When you tire of purty arrows the next step is not making any old quiver but one with full on embossing and carving- now thats time,like 26 hours on my last quiver and 6 or 7 on an armguard . Dont ask me to post photo's I struggle with this.
regards Perry
Sorry to come off track - I don't suppose anyone has a copy of that article by Glenn I could have a look at?

C'mon perry show us the pics I'd love to see your handiwork :)
>>––––––>
New trad archery items now in stock! THE LONGBOW SHOP

Al Kidner

#20 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:32 am

To me there is nothing better than a Trad bow with custom made arrows in a bow quiver or back quiver. I just had a fling with carbons...... never again. Took for ever to get flying right and when I did I found they were noisey!

So back to timbers I go.

al

MaylandL

#21 Post by MaylandL » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:33 am

Boomslang_Al wrote:...I just had a fling with carbons...... never again. Took for ever to get flying right and when I did I found they were noisey!...
G'day Al
I've never used carbons before. Been put off them when saw what can happen when they fail - they shred and can drive shards into your hand. Happened to a guy a that the club. Since I shoot off the back of the hand, I wasnt that keen.

For me wooden shafts lend themselves nicely as "ammo" for the horse bows that I shoot and I can personalise them in whatever way I choose.

Happy shooting :)

archangel

#22 Post by archangel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:54 pm

The great advantage about using woods ... there are infinite possibilities. As shown on this site, there are more and more new timbers (Aussie and exotic) being demonstrated on arrows. Steve's fine work featured in 'Traditional Tackle' showed this to perfection.
http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4197
well here is a photo of a couple of Steve's work - the smaller ones are 4 finger foot of Kwilla and lamination is Kwika, Quondong shaft 5/16" just for me and Steve's are 4 finger foot in Kwilla, with one having a lamination of Kwilla, Quondong shaft 23/64 breasted to 5/16 nock, the other is Rock Maple shaft laminated with Rosewood, with a Kwilla foot.

Had anyone else ever heard of kwilla or rock maple used for shafts? After reading this post, I decided to try out some rock maple footed with purpleheart. Totally different adventure from using a soft wood like oregon, with its different properties that required adapting previous techniques. True, there is still plenty you can do to customise carbons or alloy shafts, using the new vinyl wraps and cresting ... BUT you CAN'T craft the actual shaft from a block of raw material like you can with woods.

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Arch

Kwila Shafts. I have half a dozen or so. They were part of an experimental batch that were made by Keith Forrester.

They are incredibly tough arrows - these you do not break. On the negative side they appear to suffer from large amounts of warping when they are made. I am unsure if the cause is they way the timber is dried or the grain in the timber.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bleeroyb

#24 Post by bleeroyb » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:03 pm

I think that making your own wooden arrows is an expression of not only your craftsmanship and love of archery, but it is also doffing your hat to the arrow makers of yesteryear. I mean, with all the fancy bits and pieces that we can buy now (fast dry glues, cresting and fletching jigs, taper tools etc etc) I don't see how we could just make aethetically deficient arrows that fly straight and true. I think its a sign of pride, not only in your sport but your craft and yourself...I think we owe it to archery to make good arrows!! And I just love making them...I used to paint and now draw alot, and it is a great artistic outlet...for me its therapeutic aswell, you get lost in making them and it relaxes you.

I promise to post some photos of the arrows that I'm making soon...I have a couple dozen copperhead barrel shafts that I'm making up, I just have to wait until I get some feathers delivered and I can commence. And in case anyone asks, no I don't know where to get more copperheads, I have been looking but there seems to be a very short supply of them.

Cheers all,

Leeroy

PS I love seeing other peoples arrows, so cmon ppls...post all your arrow pics so you can inspire the rest of us to greater feats! :P
Last edited by bleeroyb on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Over the years we have used a number of woods including, Oregon, Slash Pine, Hoop Pine, Tassie Oak, Vic Ash, Spotted Gum, Gidyea, Red Iron Bark, Burdekin Plumb, Purple Heart, Rock Maple and Kwila that I can think of at the moment. Certainly not all were successsful but some were excellent.

Jeff