Anyone Interested in Having A Trad Shoot Tourney in WA

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

MaylandL

Anyone Interested in Having A Trad Shoot Tourney in WA

#1 Post by MaylandL » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:46 pm

G'day All

I had so much fun in Geelong that I've been talking to few people about having a trad shoot in WA late next year. I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in participating in a series of trad shoot events over a weekend.

I would like to get some indication if anyone (WA and interstate) posting here would be interested to attend so that I can take it to the powers that be (Archery Society of WA and the Club officials) to support the tourney.

It would be great to have an inagural trad archery tourney with participants from all over Australia.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

Chris

#2 Post by Chris » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:16 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAR

Chris
I don't support the wars of our politicians, but I do support our troops.

Lest we forget
.Image

Mububban

#3 Post by Mububban » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:50 am

Absolutely, being a Perthie of course I'd support this. Just make it after September otherwise i'll be overseas!

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:58 pm

Hey Wing
Steve and I would love to come to WA, and probably the gang too, as long as it doesn't clash with other shoots on this coast. Have a talk to Les too.
say g'day to Sandra.
sue

clinglish

#5 Post by clinglish » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Count me in Wing ,just let me know if I can help :D
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Good luck with it Mayland! :wink:

I would love to come over, but it will depend on lots of variables between now and then. I'll start by getting my wife used to the idea and checking out the cheap airfares.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Anna

#7 Post by Anna » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:24 pm

G'day MaylandL,

Sounds pretty good to me, we'd try to make the effort to come over. Got any thoughts on when?

Anna

MaylandL

#8 Post by MaylandL » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:15 pm

Anna wrote:...Sounds pretty good to me, we'd try to make the effort to come over. Got any thoughts on when?
G'day Anna
Still very early days and there a number of local people I need to speak to first. At this stage maybe late Sept/Early Oct 2007. Will also need to coordinate with other shoots around the country, cos I would like as many people to attend as possible.

Happy shooting and watch this space :)

MaylandL

An Update on Developments - Please indicate your interest

#9 Post by MaylandL » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:17 pm

Thank you for the responses to date. Its very much appreciated

I have been discussing the organisation of traditional archery event for WA with the people at Archery Society of WA. They are going to go to the tourney committee with the idea.

At this stage the event may happen in late 2007 (nov possibly) or early 2008 (maybe March). The tourney is probably going to be over two days with a variety of events, shooting clinics, market day, end of shoot bbq. There's a lot of details that will need to be worked out so we are in the early stages.

We are hoping to have attendances in excess of 100 with representation from all states and territories.

The help that I would like from ozbowers is to see if any people you know who are interested in coming over to the west coast during that time. The more feedback I can get about indicative numbers the better our case and the more that we can include in the tourney. I've got a couple of ideas that I would like to do that would make the tourney a little different and interesting for all. But all of that depends on how many people would be interested. Unfortunately I can't say what they are because nothing is finalised.

So I would like to ask ozbowers to help by seeing what sort of support they can muster and post here.

Happy shooting everyone and thanks for reading this :)
Last edited by MaylandL on Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archangel

#10 Post by archangel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:23 pm

Sounds excellent MaylandL. For those of us who haven't been able to make it over to eastern states events, this will be fantastic opportunity. I for one would like to see a special invitation (feature?category?) to horsebow archers.

adam

#11 Post by adam » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Ill do all in my power to get there
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Mububban

#12 Post by Mububban » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:41 pm

I'm not interstate but I'm sure I could interest at least half a dozen of my mates from my medieval club, we all shoot bare bows, recurves, horse bows, english longbows etc. No sights etc, and all wooden arrows.

I'm know 3-6 trad shooters from the Kalamunda Governor Stirling Archers who'd probably turn up too.

White Hawk

WA trad soot

#13 Post by White Hawk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 pm

Wing,

given the great support you and Anysia showed us here at Geelong by flying over from WA for the event, I would like to think we also could get over there for your event.
Whilst I can't speak for other Geelong members, I am sure, money permitting, we could get a crew together and visit your sunny shores for a comp next year. And if you need any advice and or wanna run some ideas past myself or Leigh we would only be too glad to assist. The shooting from a pommel horse as per our Asiatic shoot on the weekend (see Mick Smiths photos on Ozbow) is a must! all who attended LOVED it! and being a fellow horse bowyer I think you would too!
Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Gavin
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

MaylandL

Re: WA trad shoot

#14 Post by MaylandL » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:42 pm

White Hawk wrote:...Whilst I can't speak for other Geelong members, I am sure, money permitting, we could get a crew together and visit your sunny shores for a comp next year. And if you need any advice and or wanna run some ideas past myself or Leigh we would only be too glad to assist. The shooting from a pommel horse as per our Asiatic shoot on the weekend (see Mick Smiths photos on Ozbow) is a must! all who attended LOVED it! and being a fellow horse bowyer I think you would too!
G'day Gavin

Thanks for that. Anysia and I are wanting to come back in 2007 for the Geelong Shoot in October. I would really appreciate bouncing some ideas off you and Leigh later on. Right now we are still in the very early stages.

The horsebow event looked heaps of fun and Anysia pouted that she wasnt there :D For that matter me too :)

I'll be keeping people informed. Next step is for ASWA to events committee to consider this.

Happy shooting all :)

Nathan

#15 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:35 pm

Hey guys .
back in perth full time now....
would love to go to something like that Maylandl
count me in.

ole_silver

#16 Post by ole_silver » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi Wing..............

great pity for me it cant be mid next month.......

anyway, i will still be over there n will have my Mongolian soon that i can practice before i get there...............

will be in touch soon as i get the trip set..

cheers
Steve..