okay guys, help needed...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

okay guys, help needed...

#1 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:43 pm

I have been shooting the old longbow consistently over the last few days. I seem to be getting worse!

Whats the secret?

I could never work out that gap shooting method, so have always just looked at a spot and shot. When I do make a good one, it feels right from the word go. Trouble is, I can not pick what I am doing wrong.

I know that I may not be able to get help with htis 'online', but has anybody had similar issues?

I plan on shooting in an ABA thsi weekend with the longbow - could be embarrasing! :shock:

erron

#2 Post by erron » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:32 am

Guy,

if we do meet up, I'll loan you a book called "Instinctive Shooting 2", if you don't already have it. I also have a copy of the video I could loan you. Both are available through Whitings, I believe. The Book's about the best I've seen, and I think others here would agree?

Hard to say online anything that would help you by the weekend, and I'm far from expert in these things. The best you can do, is get a good shooter to watch you shoot, and pick up the flaws in your form.

Hope this helps, anyone else?

Erron

#3 Post by Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:10 am

Guy,
I think watching Fred Asbells video will help you but you also need to get some one to stand behind you and watch what you are doing and find where things are not working. I have found a few minutes with someone watching you can find a lot of technique faults or they can spot problems with your equipment that you can not see ie arrows waving good bye as you shoot.
good luck,
Daryl

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:28 pm

G'day Guy,

You have been given great advice so far. Just something else to consider. Sometimes you can go out and practise day after day only to find, like you, that your accuracy seems to get worse. Sometimes this is due to to much shooting - due to getting tired - especially if you haven't been shooting much. When your tired you tend to not draw fully, let your bow arm move sideways, throw your shooting arm etc. All these will effect accuracy.

You may find it is better to go out and only have say 12 shots one day, 18 the next and so on. Build up slowly. Just take your time and shoot a few arrows at a time (3 max). Quality of the shot rather than quantity.

I will often go out and after I have done a few stretches to loosen up this Ol' bod of mine, I will concentrate at the spot I want to hit, draw the bow, anchor, but not let go of the string - then just let down. Do this a couple of times before you actually start shooting. It seems to just bring things together for me.

Hope this may help and all the best with the shooting. Jeff

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:50 pm

Wow Jeff! What you just said actually made sense to me - I iwll give it a go! Thank you and thanks to all the others for the advise!