Look what I bought

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

memo

Look what I bought

#1 Post by memo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:01 pm

Yeah baby!
First edition. Should arrive in two weeks. Can't wait.
Haven't told the missus yet but who cares :lol:
Attachments
d5_1.jpg
d5_1.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 1943 times

jindydiver

Re: Look what I bought

#2 Post by jindydiver » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:25 pm

memo wrote: Haven't told the missus yet but who cares :lol:
tsk tsk :lol:
that's passion for you hey?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:38 pm

Congrats that is one GREAT book you have got yourself there Memo! One of the very best Bowhunting books ever IMO. I have a couple in my collection. Let us know what you think of it when you have had the chance to read it.

Tell the Missus it was necessary reading! :lol:

Do you mind saying what it cost you?

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:46 pm

Memo

You being a longbow man and all, you'll love it. :wink: Lets face it, what other book is going to tell you all about hunting the African "Big Five" successfully with a longbow. It has an excellent section relating to North American game, and yet another relating to equipment.

Some people have said that it's too amateurish and poorly written, but I don't think it is. In fact, I prefer the simple down to earth style.

I've owned my copy since 1970 and I've read it that many times it's starting to look tatty, but I won't be getting rid of it.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

memo

#5 Post by memo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:00 pm

Cost around $315 including postage and insurance. Pretty expensive but I wanted it pretty bad, and searches on the internet say thet they go for around US$300 so i'm happy.
Just boils down to how good a book it is and how valuable it is in terms of our traditional hunting heritage. When I look at it that way, the money doesn't matter.
But i'm still not telling the missus :twisted:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Memo,

Thanks. I think you got a good buy and I'm sure you will love it.
But i'm still not telling the missus
:lol:

By the way Mick, his leopard was taken with a Ben Pearson recurve and an arrow tipped with that old favourite of yours, the Deadhead.

Jeff
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:10 pm

Memo

It might have cost you a "pretty penny" but if you look at the purchase as an investment, I'm sure that if you ever decide to sell it, you'll get your money back with interest. This is what I'd tell the missus anyway. 8) It's better than money in the bank. It will appreciate in value more and it will be infinately more fun than a bank passbook. :wink:

I hope you enjoy it. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

trash boss

#8 Post by trash boss » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:13 pm

We've got a first edition here with us at the moment that our neighbour bought at a bookstore here in mount isa and he paid $1.50 for it :lol:

Jo

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:38 pm

Jo

That was nasty. :twisted: :lol:

Jeff

Yeah mate, I reckon they're one of the best broadheads ever. :wink: I think Bob Swinehart was paid to promote some Ben Pearson products while in Africa. I noticed he used the longest Pearson recurve he could lay his hands on. I don't think his heart was in it though. He much preferred his Hill longbows. The Deadheads did the job OK. :wink:

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Yeah, he used the Deadheads quite a bit and they did their job well. I think you are right, he preferred the longbow! :D

Jeff

memo

#11 Post by memo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 pm

Jo,
Tell him i'll give him $10 for it :lol: