SHIPPING BOWS FROM the US to OZ, E-BAY MESS, HELP!

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

JOURNEYMAN

SHIPPING BOWS FROM the US to OZ, E-BAY MESS, HELP!

#1 Post by JOURNEYMAN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:51 pm

G'day Guys,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to archery.

I've got myself in a bit of a bind regarding a bid I just won on E-Bay.

My wife Chris and I are getting back into archery and have decided to hang up our compounds for Traditional archery.

Anyway we thought we'd get a couple of older Recurves off US E-Bay and we finally managed to win a Bear Kodiak Special for Chris a couple of days ago.

The rub is the seller now tells us she can't ship through the US postal service to Oz because it is oversize (we contacted her prior to placing a bid and she assured us that she could ship this way no problem).

Anyway we've got the run-around the last couple of days and then this morning she sends an e-mail saying that the only way she can send it is via UPS or FEDEX ($315 USD, our winning bid on the bow is $132.50USD).

Is it possible to get the bow sent over via normal mail service ($315USD is just plain crazy)???

I hope someone can help us out with this one.

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

Crow's Nest Q.

Axe

#2 Post by Axe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:18 pm

Rob,

Don't know whether it can be sent via US Postal service, but I do know $315 US is rubbish, cost me $90 US, with UPS, for each of the last three bows I bought from B/Widow. Still pretty rich but far from the price you've been quoted

JOURNEYMAN

re:

#3 Post by JOURNEYMAN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Axe!

I've always bought my bows locally (compounds and a Longbow from Jeff), thought I'd try E-bay for once and run into this.....

....I don't know what this sellers angle is, all I can think of is that she wants to blow me off and re-sell to someone else for more money (there were some Germans interested in the bow going by the questions she had listed during the auction).

$90USD would be great, plus with UPS would be a sure thing regarding delivery.

I've been tearing my hair out all day trawling through the US postal service site, UPS and FedEx trying to work out what is what, man there is no way I'd ever do this to a buyer.

She seems to be claiming ignorance, but if I can show her proof that bows get sent over here to Oz regularly I'm hoping she'll play the game!

Thanks mate.

Best Wishes,

Rob.

Axe

#4 Post by Axe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:50 pm

Rob, if you wish I could fax you a copy of one of my bow confirmation orders or receipts, it has the shipping cost on it, let me know if you would like me to dig one up :D

stace

#5 Post by stace » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:25 pm

Good on you AXE

Journeyman
You may also try a PM to Mick Smith if he doesn't get to this post soon as he buys a few bows via Ebay and along with Axe would know the current "DECENT" charge

stace

JOURNEYMAN

re:

#6 Post by JOURNEYMAN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:40 pm

G'day Guys,

Axe, that would be great!

We don't have a fax at home but wife Chris's work fax number is:

(07) 46981769

She'll receive it no probs.

Stace thanks for that, I did PM Mick about it, I noticed his post in a Recurve wanted thread in the for sale section.....

Oh boy, you don't know how much reading I've been doing on the web trying to figure out what is the go with all of this! I just don't want to get shafted now ON PRINCIPLE :D

I really want to get that bow for Chris though, its a beauty!

Best Wishes,

Rob.

stace

#7 Post by stace » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:49 pm

Journeyman
Axe and hopefully Mick S will give you some ammo to give this yank a serve with anyway .

The postage problem /customs charges seem to come up often here so don't feel bad ,I myself have been hit as well over the years .

Just get that bow for Chris and join us happy campers here on Ozbow
cheers
stace

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Rob

I've sent you a PM.

The maximum length of a parcel by airmail from the US is 42 inches. In the past this rule hasn't been enforced much. It seems that this has changed.

There are some ways of getting around this ruling. Sort of bending the rules a little bit. The bow could be posted in a very large box of the maximum dimensions and placed inside the box on an angle from corner to corner. Imagine a square box 42'' x 42 '', it meets the criteria, but you can fit a much longer item inside the box if you angle it across on the diagonal. Of course there is a limit here. This principal worked just recently for me with a 52 inch AMO bow. It cost the same amount as usual, ie, under US$30.00 and that was insured.

From what I can tell, FED EX is the next cheapest at around US$70 or so.

I've had a few 58 inch bows airmailed from the US by post in the last year or so in normal rectangular boxes without the slightest problem. I think a lot depends on the counter officer at the post office where it's posted from, whether they're a stickler for the rules or not.

I think I will be a bit hesitant before buying a bow longer than 52 inches on international eBay in future. :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:05 pm

Oh, I forget to mention a couple of other tricks.

One is to actually string the bow and post it when strung. This reduces the length by about 4 inches. Leaving the bow strung for a week while it's in transit wouldn't hurt the bow.

If you're really desperate, you could even reduce the length further by stringing the bow with a short string. You could gain another 4 inches by doing this. It would be the same as holding your bow at full draw for a week. I don't think it would damage the bow.

Where there's a will there's a way generally. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Axe

#10 Post by Axe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:08 pm

Rob,
Paper work has been faxed :D

JOURNEYMAN

re:

#11 Post by JOURNEYMAN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:15 pm

G'day Guys,

Thanks Mick, just got it, I'll see how the seller goes. I'll shout you some scratchies if I can work it out (and free beers when I catch up with you regardless!)....

Stace, we'll be getting into traditional archery regardless, its something we've been meaning to do for ages.

We've had a layoff the last few years from archery but we did shoot a lot of ABA (Zone D) beforehand. It was all compound (fingers, no sights) and as mentioned I did have a dabble in Longbow with my Stickbow Traditions bow (even shot an IFFA tournament at Barambah Bowhunters with it!).

I love shooting traditional gear (the longbow and a second hand Border Super Mirage I picked up on Aussie E-bay awhile back), it just seems right for me.....

I'm sure Chris will go OK too, she's an instinctive shooter so she should be like a duck to water (me call the missus a duck, NEVER!).

The funny thing is I bought a new Mathews Conquest 3 Solo-cam at the start of this year (lovely bow, BUT.....), shot a 3DAAA shoot at Ravensbourne and it left me kind of cold. No disrespect on the gear, but to be honest I got more enjoyment out of watching the Longbow and Recurve shooters doing their thing (plus my effort with the new bow was LESS THAN STELLAR)....

So, yes, I'll be coming in to listen and learn (and ask a heap of Newbie questions no doubt), its a good atmosphere here on this forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Best Wishes,

Rob.

JOURNEYMAN

re:

#12 Post by JOURNEYMAN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:17 pm

Thanks Axe,

Chris will pick it up when she gets into work tomorrow.

Best Wishes,

Rob.

Mike-dy

international shipping for Bows

#13 Post by Mike-dy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:45 pm

Cost me US$30 to get my penebscot indian bow here and it was 72".
Can't remember how it was shipped But email this guy and ask him, info@WoodlandArchery.com I had no trouble at all.
Woodland archery offer a great service.
Cheers,
Mike

memo

#14 Post by memo » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:51 pm

Rob,
I got a longbow from the USA last year sent via US Postal service. Cost of Postage US$27.85. and its a 66 inch bow. If you want me to send a fax of the receipt just let me know

JOURNEYMAN

re:

#15 Post by JOURNEYMAN » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks for the info Mike,

Great site too by the way!

The seller is a very recalcitrant person (thank you for that nice word Mr. Keating)....

She is adamant that it will cost $315.00USD to ship over so Chris and I have decided to leave it, there isn't much to be done about the situation I'm afraid.

We will try later on to get a Bear recurve for her, but will choose a better seller to deal with next time.

Instead of worrying about it for now, we decided (well... she decided, I JUST NODDED MY HEAD IN AGREEMENT!) to order a Woomera longbow from AUSBOW for her.

We're looking forward to our return to archery and think Traditional will be great fun.......

Best Wishes,

Rob.

danceswithdingoes

#16 Post by danceswithdingoes » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:08 am

Is there any trad shooters in the US you could send it to, so that that you can get it from that fool woman? They could resend to you at a more reasonable rate.