Proposed Ozbow Code of Ethics for Bowhunting

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Proposed Ozbow Code of Ethics for Bowhunting

#1 Post by erron » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:14 am

A bit of a grandiose title perhaps, and I'm happy to admit I'm biting off more than I can chew here: I need your input and help. What prompted me to start this thread was Dennis La Varenne's excellent post in Glenn Newell's also excellent topic entitled "Our Responsibilty to the Game We Hunt?" I have taken excerpts from Dennis's post to form the basis of this one.

Dennis wrote:
We need to devise among ourselves some kind of ethical standards by which we judge hunting stories in print, video and websites like this one so that we are clearly seen to put an ethical concern and respect for the animals we hunt above all else in our hunting publications.
There is a set of guiding principles which set a standard of behaviour which compels me to act in a certain manner irrespective of whether others are present or not, or whether I am ever likely to be caught out or not.

These are:
1. That I will never take a shot at any animal where there is a reasonable possibility of wounding;

2. That I will never take a shot at any animal where the shot is a "challenge"

3. That the only morally defensible shot is one where a humane killing shot is probable;

4. That I will never take a shot where I do not have control over the outcome;

5. That the only morally defensible situation where a wounded animal occurs is when the circumstances were completely beyond my ability to predict the outcome;

6. That the animal I hunt is never entrapped or that escape is prevented.
With the above ethical principles in mind, when I was involved with the campaign to try to get legalised bowhunting for fallow deer in Tasmania, we proposed to the Tasmanian Government that there should be the legal adoption of the following -

"Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals in Bowhunting"

1. A bowhunter should have marksmanship skills good enough to be able to shoot an arrow/s into a circle of 25cm at a distance of 15 metres.

2. A bow of adequate draw weight together with arrows of adequate mass should be used which allow a high probability of lethal penetration into life sustaining organs such that unconsciousness or death will quickly result.

3. To facilitate lethal arrow penetration, only broadhead arrows should be used which have cutting edges sharp enough to shave body hair or cut through a taught rubber band with a single slice.

4. An animal should only be shot at when:

(a) It can be clearly seen and recognised;
(b) a clear and uninterrupted shot is presented;
(c) It is within the effective range of the bowhunter and his/her equipment, but in any case never more than 30 metres;
(d) A humane and lethal hit is probable.

5. To produce a quick and painless death a bowhunter should only shoot to hit the heart/lung area.

6. No shot should be taken at animals that are walking or running.

7. Shots should only be taken at animals that are relaxed and unaware of the presence of the hunter. Shooting at animals that are disturbed and moving should be avoided.

8. Shots should not be taken at animals that are facing or quartering towards the bowhunter.

9. Any animal which has been shot should be examined as soon as possible to ensure it is dead, and killed immediately if not.

10. If an animal is wounded every reasonable attempt must be made to locate it and kill it humanely. No further hunting should be undertaken until the wounded animal has been proven killed, lost or not seriously wounded. Other bowhunters in the vicinity should assist in the search for a wounded animal if requested to do so.

The rather generous allowance for the area of 25cm as a killing area in the first rule above is completely reasonable for the thoracic area of a fallow deer at 15m and was a minimum standard of marksmanship. Clearly smaller animals require better marksmanship, but none of this overrides the absolute responsibility of all hunters to forgo any shot where we have the slightest doubt about whether we can kill an animal humanely, ie without unnecessary or unreasonable suffering, irrespective of distance.

If the above set of 6 ethical principles is read in conjunction with the 10 rules of the Code above, it can be seen why they were devised. All of them are the result of the respect for the hunted animal, which commands us to ensure that we kill it humanely as a first principle. Everything else follows from that first principle.
I would like to use these principles as the basis for a discussion here, as to what Ozbow should adopt as a set of guidelines. Thes guidelines, when settled on, will be prominently displayed on, or linked from, the front page of Ozbow, letting all who visit and post know where we stand on the issue of Hunting Ethics in general, and Bowhunting Ethics in particular. Ozbow will also endeavour to promote these guidelines amongst the hunting and non-hunting communities at every opportunity.

Now over to you. What do you think?

Erron

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:20 am

I'll go first.

Dennis makes the point:
8. Shots should not be taken at animals that are facing or quartering towards the bowhunter.
But as I understand it, face on is a legitimate shot for Turkeys, for example, as there is a large target area of the opened chest, and less chance of the broadhead glancing off the comparatively well armoured (i.e. flight feathered) side view?

Does this principle need tweaking, then?

Erron

Jackrat

#3 Post by Jackrat » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:39 am

Erron,Good point but I think Dennis was probably speaking of fur rather than feather, and large animals.But yes I think it is a good idea to let others know were we stand on this issue.Sad but ture anyway.
As far as turkeys go they carry their vitals well forward an low,this leaves
a lot of turkey that is not a killing hit.I try to head shoot the things,as a result I don,t eat a lot of turkey but those that are hit stay that way.
Just as a matter of intrest,Ever tho, trad, shooters probably don,t use them I think exspanding heads should be totaly banned from the face of the earth.
Cheers,,Jack.

Cher

#4 Post by Cher » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:28 am

Erron,
I think Dennis - and for that matter our Association (ABA) is trying to make a general guideline for hunters since I've noticed many do not really take the time to learn all they can about the animal they intend to hunt. It would be wonderful if ALL bowhunters would take the time to learn as much about their quarry before ever pulling back an arrow.

Some of the best fun to be had is when you just learn to identify the tracks you wish to follow, then successfully follow them to the animal (or animals - I haven't learnt how to choose one animal from the other yet just by their prints.....but I'm working on it).

It's also just plain cool 8) simply watching the animals go about their day while you sneak in as close as possible.

The information is out there where one can learn the vital area is on the proposed game.
Next the hunters needs to KNOW just what your equipement (both the bow, the arrow and the broadheads) will - and will not - achieve.

And (very important) ......always be honest with yourself - know your limitations and don't take a shot that's dicey.

What with the above being so longwinded....perhaps it's best to generalise as Dennis did.
Don't know that we hunt too many turkeys here in Australia - but when it comes to the animals we do hunt....deer, pig etc.....that front on or qtr towards shot just isn't the most ethical is it.

Cher

erron

#5 Post by erron » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:57 pm

Cher,

here in victoria we have Turkeys in a couple of places, and I hope to get a chance at one, one of these days :) That's why I was curious, as the advice I'd heard about shot placement on them seemed at odds with the generalization in the guidelines above.

I wasn't meaning to be pedantic, but if we do put up guidelines, I want them to be as bulletproof as possible. Nothing's more annoying than having to field an endless stream of 'what if' questions after you think you've finished the work! :?
or animals - I haven't learnt how to choose one animal from the other yet just by their prints
- well, you need our soon to launch, book review section ... da da!!!! :lol:

The first book I'll be reviewing is called "Tracks, Scats and other Traces", a book on investigating Australian animals - native and non-native - by their 'Tracks, Scats and other Traces'. A ripper book, have you seen it?

cheers,

Erron

Cher

#6 Post by Cher » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:11 pm

not yet....but being a girl...

I WANT!! I WANT!!

So.....there's lots of turkeys down your way?? hehe :lol: :lol:
Oh...okay If I stop stirring you, what's the chance of an invite down south - Ed LOVES his Wild Turkey (I'll stick to the feathered kind please)

Cher

erron

#7 Post by erron » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:31 pm

there's lots of turkeys down your way??
yeah, not only in parliament!

:lol:

Don't know about 'lots', but there's definitely a place or two where they're considered nuisances, so I'm told. I'm conducting research, shall we say, :P

You and Ed are certainly welcome down here any time; just let us know when you can make it and I'm certain the Mexican hospitality can be made to shine! What about it, fellow Victorians?

Cheers,

Erron

Glenn Newell

#8 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:11 pm

I think that shot placement has a place more in bowhunter education rather than ethics. You could include shot placement in ethics when you are talking about a paticular animal or similar group of animals but you could never cover shot placement in a broad sweeping statement on all of the animals we hunt in Australia. I agree with Jack, ban all expandable heads, stick that one in our code of ethics of what not to do. You ought to see the collection of failed expandable broadheads at Billy Bakers that have failed. Just another item in the consumerisum of bowhunting...Glenn...

Butch Speer

#9 Post by Butch Speer » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:02 pm

I agree with Jackrat & Glenn. Mechanical broadheads are an abomination.
Butch

You can't run with the big dogs, if you pee like a puppy.

<http://butchspeer.150m.com/>

erron

#10 Post by erron » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:51 am

Showing my ignorance again, can someone descrie what a Mechanical broadheads is/does?

thanks,

Erron

Jackrat

#11 Post by Jackrat » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:26 pm

Erron,They are a head that the blades fold down on,then on impact the blades stand up.They are supposed to give better arrow flight,like a feild point.Just more junk nobody needs.They only sell because some people can,t tune their bows for correct broadhead flight.The blades are prone to
breaking an they don,t penatrate worth a darn.I belive Butch descibed
them well.
Cheers,,Jack.

erron

#12 Post by erron » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:46 pm

thanks Jack.

:)

Erron

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:59 pm

Erron,

The bit re not taking front quartering shots was taken from the ABA submission on allowing deer hunting using bows in Tasmania. It was part of a suggested Code of Practice, not a Code of Ethics.

The two quotes you have taken from my post are examples of each - the former is a code of ethics which is a general set of guiding principles governing behaviour and the second is a code of practice which sets out specific behaviours based upon ethical principles which bind a bowhunter to certain actions or avoidances.

Your turkey proposition is well covered in the code of ethics which should guide your actions when hunting turkeys. The quoted code of practice prohibits quartering frontal shots specifically on deer and other like animals.

A code of practice could be devised which spells out the kinds of shot which are humane on each kind of game specie encountered because they are based upon a set (or code) of ethical principles.

I hope this is not too abstruce.

Dennis La Varenne

erron

#14 Post by erron » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:13 am

Dennis,

thanks, I understand the distinction now.

I think that we could just go with the first set of six points relating to the ethical aspect, then?

Perhaps if I just post them as the 'where we stand' on ethical issues, and invite comment on that?

Erron

#15 Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:24 pm

Erron,

That would probably be the most appropriate way to deal with it I think.

Anyway, it is past 2200 hrs and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut, so I will go and put something into it.

Dennis

erron

#16 Post by erron » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:59 am

Will do Dennis.

Erron