Is the name 'Ozbow' right for this site?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Is the name 'Ozbow' right for this site?

#1 Post by erron » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:21 pm

Gilnockie, your recent post in the Traditional Tackle forum reminds me there is - I think - a junior archery organization in OZ that goes by the name of Ozbow? Maybe, to avoid confusion, we should change the name of this site?

Anyone have an opinion?

:?

Erron

adam

#2 Post by adam » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:32 pm

I think yo ushould stick to ozbow, I like it and it suits the site.

If you where going to change it.
ozbowman.
aussiebow.
something along the same lines.
But I like the one we have :D
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

stace

#3 Post by stace » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:34 pm

Erron
I personally can't see a problem with the title OZBOW as a matter of fact I like it
Are the junior organisation web based as OZBOW obviously is and have they complianed ?

Did a quick search and found mostly your OZBOW but did find this bow site had me confused for a minute ,I don't think his arrow speed will be all that high though www.ozbow.com/gallery.htm
For some reason this link won't come but they were violin bows believe it or not
cheers
stace

Sparra

#4 Post by Sparra » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:47 pm

Gaday Erron...I can't see the need for a name change unless there is a conflict of interest...OZBOW sounds fine to me...
Regards....Sparra

ps...good to see you still about Ad's...

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:03 pm

I like OZBOW, to change the name would be a bit like changing one of your children's names. It just doesn't seem right somehow.

If we (the majority) decide to go this way. So be it. Its not really a big deal. We'd still be the same site, same people and the same topics.

Come to think of it, the name OZBOW doesn't really describe what we're all about. For a new chum, the name isn't very descriptive of what our site focuses on.

If indeed we do change our name. It would be nice to have a name that reflects just what it is that makes us different.

Some names that come to mind (admittedly some are corney) are -

REALBOW
WOODBOW
OZTRAD
AUSTICK
STRINGNSTICK
TRADOZ
TRADARCHERY
OZSTICK
TRADAUST
TRADBOW
TRADARCH
BOWTRAD
TWANG
OZTWANG
LONGCURVE

Or maybe even some sort of acronym. You know one that makes a word thats associated with traditional archery.

The bottom line for me is, I'm easy. I'll just go with the flow. I'll be very interested in what others have to say on the subject.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

buzz

#6 Post by buzz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:00 pm

Well, who was around first? Always a fair question.

*If* you feel compelled to change, I'd agree that OZTRAD would be the pick. A quick google showed little and nothing particularly relevant out in that big wide world web thingummy.

***** added bit *****

Ozbow.net appears as a link in many websites: links from bowyers, enthusiasts, other Australian Archery forums and other Trad and hunting forums overseas. It is also printed in magazines. Unless you had a re-direct setup so people accessing the link were popped over to the newly named site then you will lose these people. And if someone was inadvertantly surfing in while looking for a violin, and they got redirected well then they can just click "back" and go to from whence they came. It seems more just to not inconvenience "our" people and make them go to a new name or link, than to make life easier for others who are not relevant, related, associated or interested.

Just a thought.
Last edited by buzz on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sssshhhh.... they are watching

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:47 am

don't go changin', you will have to get all your stationary reprinted! :P :lol:

seriously
"Ozbow" is great. I like it and don't think there would be too much confusion. besides, if you change it, any word of mouth work we have all done goes down the drain.......
Eg........
(hunter no.1)"hey mate what was that trad website Erron was talkin bout again? Ozbow dot sumthin?" (hunter no.2) " yeah, that was it." (No.1) "but i just done a search and all i can find is junior archery and violins!" :shock:

No offense intended but, I don't think we are well known enough to be changing names. kinda like when someone buys a business with the previous owners name attached, it's rare that the business name will change untill the new owners become known.

cheers
Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#8 Post by erron » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm

good feedback, thanks, and especially to those like Mick who came up with an armful of suggestions, you folks are creative :shock:

Yeah, guess I was just thinking out loud. And yes, Stace, i did know about ozbow.com :D

thanks, I think the consensus is to stay where we are for now...

Erron