shooting longbow or recurve with a mechanical release ...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

don w.

shooting longbow or recurve with a mechanical release ...

#1 Post by don w. » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:58 pm

do any of you folks use a mechanical release aid to shoot your longbows or recurves?
voluminous pontificator and stump shooter extraordinare ...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:54 pm

Don,

I don't know of anyone around my area that does.

Jeff

erron

#3 Post by erron » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:09 pm

not me either :?

Buford

#4 Post by Buford » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm

i tried once with my carter release on an old recurve just for the fun of it.
:shock:

damn near took my nose off!! not to mention efficiently removing 2 ounces of forearm flesh. :evil: :wink:

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

coach

#5 Post by coach » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:30 pm

do any of you folks use a mechanical release aid to shoot your longbows or recurves?
If you did you would be more consistent ,in the release department,,but it wouldn't be Trad. would it? 8)

Buford

#6 Post by Buford » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:34 pm

coach wrote:If you did you would be more consistent ,in the release department,,but it wouldn't be Trad. would it? 8)
you ever tried holding 62lbs of no let off longbow while waiting for your back tension to "explode" properly? :lol:

coach

#7 Post by coach » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:49 pm

you ever tried holding 62lbs of no let off longbow while waiting for your back tension to "explode" properly?
never said that,,,,just said you can use a release aid
:D

don w.

#8 Post by don w. » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:47 am

:D ... i wuz just wonderin' ... i occcasionally try it (using a mechanical release aid with a long bow or recurve)

it was popular at one time to use what was referred to as a "bowlock". i can recall seeing an old timer by the name of C.R. Learn use one. (he used to write articles for archery mags at one time and i don't know if he's 'still around' or not.)

anyway ...

i find that it's not too bad at all ... i use the wrist sling style with a rotating head type and it allows me to use the same anchor (directly below my right earlobe with my biggest forefinger knuckle instead of my thumb when i shoot with fingers) and i can still cant the bow at any desired angle ...

it affects my draw length little if any and my arrow nock set height is not affected either.

i have rather large knuckles and short large fingers that have a touch of 'arthur' in them and it helps relieve pressure on them when they bother me ...

accuracy and form do not seem to be affected and in fact i feel accuracy is enhanced somewhat due to having a 'consistant' release ...

i do not use sights and still shoot 'off the shelf' ...

but ... it surely does not seem to be "traditional" does it?

:roll: :D :D

coach

#9 Post by coach » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:28 am

Ahh ,,but it might be if you make the release aid from wood :wink: :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:11 pm

Don,

Good post mate.

I have never seen a ‘bowloc’k but would like to. As you probably know, it was invented by one of the most inventive bowyers of modern times, Frank Eicholtz. He sure was a very cleaver man and I guess one could say he was the forefather of the laminated bow. He was responsible for fibreglass being used in the construction of laminated bows.
On the surface I guess it may not seem like it but I think you should remember however that the type of equipment used – by itself - doesn’t make a Traditional Bowhunter/Archer. I know some compound shooters that are far more ‘traditional’ than some people shooting trad gear.

I’m the first person to admit that I have no interest in compounds – I dislike them and all the paraphernalia that goes along with them. I have been outspoken about this on more than one occasion by the way. I say this because there is no doubt that a lot of people shoot this type of equipment for one reason and one reason alone – to make sure they kill game as opposed to hunting game. Many people also shoot compounds because they simply will not take the time to learn to shoot trad gear effectively. I don’t believe these people are ‘Traditional Bowhunters’. I have been criticised many times for holding such opinions.

I’m also first to admit that there are those who shoot trad gear that think the same way as the group of compound shooters just mentioned. I don’t consider them as ‘Traditional Bowhunters’ either.

To me, being a ‘Traditional Bowhunter’ is more a way of thinking – a lifestyle perhaps. So to me there are those who shoot both trad and modern gear that are truly ‘Traditional Bowhunters’.

So with regards your mechanical release, I don’t see that you are any less traditional by using it. Isn’t it far better that you are out enjoying yourself flinging a few arras than having your bow hanging on the wall because you can’t stand the pain of drawing it back with your fingers? Of course it is. Don’t let anyone try and tell you differently!!!
Ahh ,,but it might be if you make the release aid from wood
I like that Coach. :D

Seriously though, the ‘bowlock’ was/is a non-mechanical release which simply hooked over the bow string and was held between the thumb and fingers, from best I can tell. I imagine it was just a matter of releasing pressure with the thumb and the lock would rotate in the fingers and let the string go. I’m not sure on that. Perhaps Don could describe it for us. Would you have a close up photo of a bowlock Don?

Jeff

coach

#11 Post by coach » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:14 pm

I have been outspoken about this on more than one occasion by the way.
Ah ,,another outspoken one and with the same name as me :D

On the point of compounds and why people use them ,, I think that some of the Trad hunters that I have seen in action should use them as well !
I have only come across a few that can actually hit anything with their bows,, or should I say "hit what they aim at"! Most cant even come to full draw and when asked why they say to me " this is how a longbow is shot" ,, what a load of crap!
Some of the Trad guys should not be allowed to hunt IMO!
We owe it to the game we hunt to at least be able to hit the spot to provide a quick ,clean kill. An old cliche ,but still true.

Thats just my outspoken opinion :wink:

Cheers Jeff :D

erron

#12 Post by erron » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:25 pm

Phew, 2 Jeffs, are we ready for this???

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D
We owe it to the game we hunt to at least be able to hit the spot to provide a quick ,clean kill.
- now there is surely common ground for all hunters. Cliche maybe, but it bears repeating; well said!

E.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:07 pm

On the point of compounds and why people use them ,, I think that some of the Trad hunters that I have seen in action should use them as well !
I don’t agree with that one Coach. Going to a compound won’t necessarily solve the problem. Some of these people would then just miss at longer distances. They simply need to learn to shoot their chosen equipment properly.
I have only come across a few that can actually hit anything with their bows,, or should I say "hit what they aim at"! Most cant even come to full draw and when asked why they say to me " this is how a longbow is shot" ,, what a load of crap!
Some of the Trad guys should not be allowed to hunt IMO!
While I agree with you in principle there can be a number of ways to look at this – computers remember – I don’t know exactly what you have seen.

If you have seen these people doing the above while out hunting than I agree fully with what you say. However if you have only seen this on the range than it may not be so bad. Let me try and explain.

A lot of people don’t really take shooting with trad gear seriously and just shoot it for fun on the field range. If they can’t shoot great under these circumstances then it is no big deal. Not many trad shooters can get close to a good compound shooter on the field range.

Now just because a person can’t shoot real well on the field range doesn’t mean they shouldn’t hunt. If they stay within the bounds of their own limitations and that of their equipment than there is no ethical reason why they shouldn’t hunt. This means if they are only accurate to 10 metres then they must only take shots at game out to that distance. It is when they go outside these limitations that they are doing the WRONG thing. There is absolutely NO excuse for live target practice.

The only ethical shot a hunter can take is one where it is probable that the shot will result in a quick humane kill not one where it is possible that it will.

Well I better stop there as I am going well away from the original intent of this thread.

Jeff

Lou

#14 Post by Lou » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:15 pm

Using the same argument some rifle hunters can say (and probably do so)that no bows should be used for hunting whatsoever.

Lou

don w.

bowlock

#15 Post by don w. » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:05 am

dang ... i don't have a foto and don't know of where one might see one. i haven't seen a bowlock in years! the last ones i saw was hanging on the wall in rube powells archery shop next to one of drakes foot bows ... and an "old timer" c.r. learn, using one at a shoot in lakeside, california ... that's been around 25 years ago.

they were normally handcarved from wood by the archer with a nail used as the 'hook' as it were or as stickbow hunter described, with a wooden lip formed by hand carving to catch the string. the archer made all the adjustments and refinements by 'trial and error' and by tweaking and fitting. once 'adjusted' they were very effective with some application and practice. if i'm not mistaken, today's 'back tension' releases are an advancement of the bowlock idea/design.

frank eicholtz was indeed amazing. he took every north american game animal up to elk with a 52# recurve.

i had the opportunity to purchase some of his bows from a widow whose deceased husband had left 5 of them in his estate when he passed, and like and idiot, i "passed" on it :roll: :?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:37 am

the last ones i saw was hanging on the wall in rube powells archery shop next to one of drakes foot bows
That must sure be an interesting place. I have seen it mentioned many times. There must be a lot of bowhunting history inside those walls.
i had the opportunity to purchase some of his bows from a widow whose deceased husband had left 5 of them in his estate when he passed, and like and idiot, i "passed" on it
If only hey?. :shock: :D

Thanks for sharing about the bowlock. Us Aussies never get to see a lot of bowhunting history stuff except from our own pioneers of course. I would love to see/hold the equipment used by Pope & Young, Bear, Hill and Swinehart etc. Oh well! :cry:

Jeff

don w.

#17 Post by don w. » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:57 am

i think you aussies are experiencing the last of the great frontiers left in the world of bowhunting.

tas you no doubt hear, there is another assault being launched against bowhunting in this country by the american humane society and the funds for animals. they've combined forces now and allegedly have a 97 million dollar 'war chest' of funds to use to have laws passed against hunting and bowhunting in particular

much of what is said in the media about the u.s. is from left wingers and much is left unsaid about many of the laws and proposed laws we have.

our right to own handguns is CONTINIOUSLY under attack even though our constitution says, and it's been recognized by the current administration, it gives the citizen the right to own a firearm. many cities and townships prohibit the ownership of handguns within their boundaries against that amendment.

my point here is that you aussies best defend your rights.

defend them anyway you can. you, as we here, have unscrupolous politicians who will trod on anybody and everybodies rights if they're not controled.

the current attitude in many places of legislation is: "pass the law, if we get away with it, fine. even though our own constitution prohibits it's passage we'll do it anyway ..."

Kiwikelvin

#18 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:31 am

If these "archers" can't hit anything with their bows suggest to them that its the arows that are supposed to do the hitting. Forgive the warped sense of humour but the subject has hit a nerve as I have contact with a very determined young woman who is keen to join the archery ranks. She has a few difficulties to contend with. OPPORTUNITY! Apart from difficulty walking like those more fortunate she has double joints in her fingers. This makes life a tad difficult when the pressure comes on during a draw. Simple answer use a compound with a release aid, fine but she wants to try a recurve. Need your input guys! this is one young woman with a heap of heart and that is someone I consider it a priviledge to help.
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

Buford

#19 Post by Buford » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:33 am

she has double joints in her fingers. This makes life a tad difficult when the pressure comes on during a draw.
i assume this means the hand that draws the string?
how bout using a thumb ring?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:09 pm

Kiwikelvin,

You may have to give us some more info about what this young lady is, and is not, able to do regarding drawing a bow.

I don't see the need for her to shoot a compound unless she wants to. Recurve would not be a lot different except she may have to use a lighter bow.

Why not use a release with the recurve - if she is able to control her draw and pull the triggering device of the release safely.

If she is unable to draw a bow with her arm there is another option - draw the string back with her teeth. Not easy but it is possible. Quite a number of years ago I helped a local fella who had one arm to get into shooting a bow.

He used a compound and drew back with his teeth. I served on a piece of seatbelt type webbing material onto the string at the nocking point. He was able to bite and grip onto the webbing material. He had to use his side teeth for better control and enable him to draw a heavier weight. He even went hunting and took game.

Some friends of his ended up getting a fella in the NT to make him up a special harness that strapped to him and had a special release type device that clipped onto the string. The weight of the bow was then on his shoulders and not his teeth. He simply bit together on a pair of tong like levers which released the string.

I got the original idea from a longbow shooter in USA named Biff Williams. Biff had lost most of the use of his drawing arm. He could draw and shoot accurately a 70# longbow by using his teeth.

If you can provide some more info we may be able to assist further.

Jeff

don w.

#21 Post by don w. » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:12 pm

remember, there are different styles of mechanical releases, too ... they may be used with compound, recurve or longbow ...

perhaps one with a "wrist loop" or "glove" style would be appropiate for one having difficulties with fingers. ( i selected these due to the arthitis (sp) in my fingers)

all one need do is trigger the device with finger or thumb (depending on model selected) while the strain of the draw is held by the wrist via the "loop" or "glove" .

go to www.cabelas.com, www.trufire.com or www.truball.com and check them out.

most of all, encourage her.

keep us posted.

:)

GrahameA

#22 Post by GrahameA » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:36 am

Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Grahame,

Thanks for that link. It was good to see such a detailed photo of one. Such a simple design.

Jeff

don w.

#24 Post by don w. » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:03 am

grahame,

thanks for posting that link of the bow-lock.

i was pleased to see the Killian release as well. i shot in the NFAA championships of 1985 with Joyce Killian. a very fine gentleman who loved his archery.

i don't believe there are any more Killian products on the market. they produced very high quality bow sights and vanes as well the releases.