Hunting Mobile

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hubris

Hunting Mobile

#1 Post by hubris » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:39 am

Gday guys,

I'm looking around at the moment for a second hand ute to use as my "hunting mobile". I know NOTHING about utes and very little about cars, makes, years etc.

I was originally looking at the Toyota Lancrusier (trayback) but I spoke to a bloke on the phone the other day who said that they were slow and wouldn't recommend them. He instead recommended either a Toyota Hilux or a 1985 Nissan 720.

Has anyone got any thoughts or advice on this? I'm looking to spend up to $4000.
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

south_oz_russ

utes

#2 Post by south_oz_russ » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:16 pm

hey mate.
i would say for 4000 you could get yourself a fairly decent car.
generally people regard toyota as the best and this may be correct as they are very reliable. and land cruisers run for ever.

some things to take into consideration when buying a car for off road are the approach angle the ramp over angle and the departure angle.
the approach angle is measure from the front most point of the car usually the botom of the front bumper bar then back to where the front tyre meets the ground. this will indicate the size of objects you can safley drive over.

the ramp over angle is measured from the back of the front wheel to the lowest point of the middle of the car then to the front of the back wheel. the lowest midway point of the car is usually the chassis or the bottom of the transfer case. this again is an indication of what you can safely drive over.

the departure angle is just the same as the approach angle but at the back of the car. this will tell you if the rock you are about to safley drive over at the front is going to rip your bumper off at the back.

hope that helped and didn't just add more confusion.
for $4000 i would suggest getting a subaru brumby ute. they are in that price range, they are only small witch means less petrol costs they are also fairly reliable
hope that helped
russ
Last edited by south_oz_russ on Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hubris

#3 Post by hubris » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:29 pm

Hey Russ,

Thanks for all that... very helpfull.

Re the subaru, I hadn't thought of them. The issue is that I also need it for carry lots of heavy stuff. I'm about to start building our buildroom building halfway down the block, and I want to build the below storey out of heavy stone - bluestone or something - as well as terracing the block with rock walls. So, part of the rational to my better half is that it'll be a "work mobile" primarily.. even though we know the truth :wink:

Thanks again... :)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

dawallace45

#4 Post by dawallace45 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:54 am

Hubris

For carting heavy rock in steep or difficult terrain the Landcruiser is the one you want , they are built like tanks and keep on going for years although I really don't know what sort of one you are going to get in that price range , also the fuel consumption is high and so are parts when bought new ,

But as a hunting vehicle they are great but again the fuel consumption is high , My brother-in-laws Landcruiser with petrol motor and wide sand tyres gave 12 MPG , so when ever we went hunting we took my Triton that gave 25 MPG , another hunting mate has a Diesel trayback Landcruiser and it gives 22 MPG on the highway , he used to have a Subaru and took it hunting every two weeks but now with the Landcruiser he can't afford to go that often as he has expenses like wife , children , house , car payments and such , so instead of going off by him self he has to wait until he can team up with a mate and his schedule , so now he goes hunting every three months , it's rather ironic but he bought the Landcruiser to be able to take more camping gear and his motor bike for getting around on the property and make hunting easier,

Personally I'll be trading down in size soon and getting rid of my Triton and getting a Suzuki Jimny like my wife has , it will tow my new trailer and canoes and kayaks just fine , it tows my 16' Jonsboat no problem and gets 52 MPG on the highway and only drops down to 45 MPG when towing my boat

If your not travelling long distances to hunt or the properties you hunt are small or you have a fair bit of disposable income then the Landcruiser is the Vehicle for you , as far as a strong reliable vehicle they can't be beat , they are tough as nails , the Nissan Patrol isn't too bad either , Not real fused on the Hilux but that is just personal preference

I travel 300 to 600 Km to get to the properties I hunt , they are big properties and hunting means driving around the property to check the dams and bores then stoping about a km out and walking in , with a week of hunting that can mean we do in excess of 400 km just around the property so with the mileage to and from the property that all adds up

David W

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:03 pm

Mate for absolutely zero practicality off road and bugger all load rating i will sell ya my S pack dunnydore! :lol: :lol:

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!