My New EV.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

My New EV.

#1 Post by greybeard » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:22 pm

Since the onset of osteoarthritis in both ankles walking any distance has become painful, especially when carrying two bags of groceries. The round trip to my local shopping center and back is just on one kilometer via a no through road and walkway into the center which provided some exercise three to four times per week.
The trike still provides me with some exercise as I only use the battery assist mode when going up longer or steeper gradients.

The rear basket is rated to 50kilos which is ample to handle my groceries.
Trikebike.jpg
Trikebike.jpg (166.43 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Using my car means a trip of slightly less than four kilometers. Tight parking spaces can also make it difficult to get in and out of the 86GTS.

Not having ridden a bicycle for over thirty years I thought the Trike would be a fairly simple matter, but I was wrong, it’s a whole new ball game when it comes to the handling characteristics over uneven terrain as the center of gravity with rider is quite high.

As I gain more riding skills I can take the trike further a field.

Daryl.

https://www.trike-bike.com.au/product/2 ... ke-silver/
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: My New EV.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:06 pm

Great it is able to make life easier for you Daryl. My concern is the charging of the lithium-ion batteries on these types of things. Just seems too many fires are being caused by them. Stay safe.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm

Jeff,

The trike comes with a smart charger which shuts down when the battery reaches the correct level.

Genuine Electric Trike Bike Charger

“When purchasing any battery charger, it is critical that you are buying the correct charger for the model and brand of battery on your e-mobility device.
Use of the Trike Bike chargers on other brands or incorrect models can be extremely dangerous, and may cause fire, explosion, serious injury or even death.
Using a third-party charger on your Trike Bike can be extremely dangerous, and may cause fire, explosion, serious injury or even death.
Don’t ever mix chargers and a battery of different types, just because the plugs look the same doesn’t mean the charger output or voltage is correct.”

It would appear that a lot of the battery fires occurring in scooters and the like are caused by people using inappropriate chargers i.e. buying a faster charger online to reduce charging times.

When overcharged, lithium ion batteries may overheat, explode and cause fires. Even slight overcharging reduces a cell's discharge capacity, leading to over discharging, which increases impedance and heat generation, and decreases cell lifetime.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:17 am

greybeard wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm Jeff,

The trike comes with a smart charger which shuts down when the battery reaches the correct level.

It would appear that a lot of the battery fires occurring in scooters and the like are caused by people using inappropriate chargers i.e. buying a faster charger online to reduce charging times.

When overcharged, lithium ion batteries may overheat, explode and cause fires. Even slight overcharging reduces a cell's discharge capacity, leading to over discharging, which increases impedance and heat generation, and decreases cell lifetime.

Daryl.
That's good to read but I still don't trust leaving the power on to chargers overnight etc. A cousin of mine was charging his battery drill with its dedicated charger and it burnt the shed down. Seems that happens quite regularly these days going by fire reports.

In saying that I'm sure you will be careful with yours and avoid any problems.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:11 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:17 am That's good to read but I still don't trust leaving the power on to chargers overnight etc. A cousin of mine was charging his battery drill with its dedicated charger and it burnt the shed down. Seems that happens quite regularly these days going by fire reports.
That’s because chargers, be they smart or otherwise should never be left on overnight or unsupervised. I believe many of these fires are caused by operator negligence rather than a product fault.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-02/ ... /103133178

I have been using and recharging battery powered tools for over 20 years and have never had an issue. Admittedly earlier batteries did not use lithium.

Following a strict procedure for recharging tools should eliminate a lot of these types of incidents.

Battery charging is done in my workshop whilst I am present, all of my batteries including the 56v 2.5Ah battery for the EGO mower can be charged in less than 1 hour. If I have to leave the workshop for more than ten minutes or so I will switch off the unit.

I never charge my phone overnight and prefer to use the USB port on my computer for a slower charge.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:22 am

Seems like you have your battery charging all sorted and hopefully will not have any problems. I have not had any problems either but, like you, I don't leave my batteries on the chargers unattended.

Interesting you mention your EGO battery powered mower; we have a couple of EGO tools as well. We have the blower and the 18" chainsaw. They really do a great job and the chainsaw would be every bit as good as the little petrol powered Stihl chainsaw we have. We bought it to carry with us when travelling with the caravan. I've used it quite a bit trimming trees etc here where we live also. Battery powered tools have come a long way in recent years.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Jeff,

I really like the range of EGO gardening equipment and I have replaced five petrol powered pieces of garden equipment with EGO products and have a 5 amp/h battery for the mower and a 2.5 amp/h battery for the smaller hand held implements.

Daryl.
[Ascham]