Woomera longbow by Ausbow Industries.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Woomera longbow by Ausbow Industries.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:41 am

I have a 50# r/h Woomera longbow made by Ausbow [not a kit bow] coming my way which will be for sale.
Never having shot one of these bows has anyone had any experiences with these bows that they would like to share? As I can’t draw a 50# bow I will not be able to form an opinion.
If in good condition any idea of pricing?

Daryl.

https://www.ausbow.com.au/longbows
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Woomera longbow by Ausbow Industries.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:21 pm

The maker wouldn't agree with me I'm sure but to me they were rather average. I'm relating to the bows made back in the 1980's and 1990's. They had horrible Australian made glass but that may have changed to Gordon's glass in the later 90's. They were chunky, flat laid with 18" risers and the fades were near non existent. Not the best performing bows. No idea on current value.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:59 am

Jeff,
From enquiries, the bow was made using Permex pultruded glass.
I have been house bound recovering from a nasty bug so another week or so before I pick up the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

shaftcaster

#4 Post by shaftcaster » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:23 am

I have owned a few of these over the years and would agree with Jeff's comments.
On the contrary they did represent good value and got a lot of us started here in West.
They kinda lent themselves to further improvements by owners but fundamentally the design "was what it was"
Permex was the Oz glass he was using with an oil finish and so on....

Kendaric

#5 Post by Kendaric » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:59 pm

From memory, they were about $675.00 give or take a bit. Really good value for money, and an honest shooting traditional longbow.

I have owned several through the years, in several different draw weights. I believe BO-TUFF fibreglass was used with mine. I have never had one fail. I never noticed any issue with the fades, and they seemed less aggressive than the Howard Hill Archery bows. They preformed much like other straight laid longbows I have shot.

Certainly the finish was not quite as refined as say a Norseman Bow, but if you wanted to spend some extra time yourself sanding all the corners rounder and using a Tru-Oil finish, instead of the supplied Scandinavian oil finish, you would probably get a very similar result. Part of what I liked about the Ausbow was the simplicity and clean lines. The Scandinavian oil finish I believe was deliberate, to keep maintenance and re-finishing easy.

I always opted for the 16" riser. An 18" riser has always felt too big to me on a longbow - but that is just a personal quirk.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm

The bow arrived and it appears to be in quite good condition. Right handed its draw weight is 45# not 50# as in my original post.

I will put it on the table down at the club with a $150.00 price tag along with six unused custom Wallace woods for $50.00.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:12 am

greybeard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm I will put it on the table down at the club with a $150.00 price tag along with six unused custom Wallace woods for $50.00.

Daryl.
I'm sure someone will grab it and enjoy shooting it. :biggrin:

Jeff