Cheap 68" Longbows

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Tradjectory

Cheap 68" Longbows

#1 Post by Tradjectory » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:31 pm

Getting back into archery and just wanted everyone's opinions on the cheaper 68" Longbows I see advertised. PSE Oryx, Ragim, Cartel etc.
Are any of them bang for buck or should be avoided?
I bought a Bear Patriot Reflex/Deflex longbow from the states in 2011 or so when the dollar was good and barely ever used it (still looks brand new). Now trying to make a serious go of it and feel like it's stacking. Haven't measured my exact draw length but it's a 64" bow and I'm 6'5" or 196cm tall.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Cheap 68" Longbows

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:23 pm

G'day Tradjectory,

I imagine you would have perhaps a 30" or more draw length so the longer the bow the better I would think. Bow design will really play a part when such long draw lengths come into play. If your draw length is 30 or more inches I would suggest a composite longbow of 70".

Your Bear Patriot is actually a semi-recurve (recurve riser and semi-recurve limbs) although I note a lot of people are pretending they are longbows these days. These bows have a deflex/reflex limb design so you could go a shorter bow length with one of them but I would stick to your mentioned 68" bows.

I can't help you with regards the quality of the bows you mention but whatever you choose I hope you have many hours of enjoyment shooting it.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 pm

If your draw length is around 30” and you want to shoot a longbow I agree with Jeff. A 70” n to n bow is probably the better option but your choices maybe limited with an ‘off the shelf’ bow.

To ascertain if and when your bow goes into stack build a jig as shown in the image.
String To Tip Angle.jpg
String To Tip Angle.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Using the AMO measure put some strong nails at 26” 27” and so on to 30”. Also have a square piece of cardboard to use as a template. As the string to limb tip approaches 90° the bow will start to go into ‘stack’ because there is no more leverage and you are trying to stretch the string.

If you find a bow you like research the internet for reviews etc. on the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Tradjectory

#4 Post by Tradjectory » Tue May 03, 2022 10:50 pm

Thanks guys. I'll do some more research