Cyclone Dust Collector.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Cyclone Dust Collector.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:55 pm

After watching several videos on making a dust collector with hit and miss results I thought paying $34.00 for a commercially made one a bargain.

My biggest challenge was finding a suitable flexible hose, rigid pvc pipe and fittings. I managed to find the bits and pieces at the local Bunning’s store.

The unit connected to my lamination belt grinder is amazingly efficient; I would rate it at least 99%.
I have done away with the two cloth bags and have a smaller plastic in place to catch any stray dust. Suction is improved as it does not have the cloth bags to impede air flow.
2 Cyclone.jpg
2 Cyclone.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
The collector connected to the Ozito works very well and when testing it I accidently blocked the nozzle and the vacuum collapsed the wall of bucket. Fitting cross braces in the bucket fixed the issue.
Mounting the unit on a $15.00 dolly makes it a lot easier to move it around in my workshop.
1 Cyclone.jpg
1 Cyclone.jpg (145.01 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
In hindsight I should have installed this type of system years ago and recommend them to anyone who has a dust extractor system, simply empty the bucket when necessary.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Cyclone Dust Collector.

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:55 pm

I connected the cyclone dust collector on the 20th. March this year and I had to empty the 20 litre collection bin on the 4th. June.

This unit has proved to be very efficient as only about a teaspoon of sanding dust was in the bag on the exhaust end of the dust extractor.

Daryl.
Sanding Dust From Lamination Grinder Sander.jpg
Sanding Dust From Lamination Grinder Sander.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Cyclone Dust Collector.

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:32 pm

Wow that system seems to work extremely well Daryl. I might have to look into one myself.

Jeff