TAA and string walking

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Kendaric

TAA and string walking

#1 Post by Kendaric » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:35 pm

I was having a look at the TAA equipment guidelines, and I noticed that Hybrid is the only division (para aside) that does not mention one finger touching the arrow or the use of one permanent nocking point which may be marked by one or two nock locators.

Was this deliberate, to allow string walkers and fixed crawlers a division to shoot in as well?

Ian Turner

Re: TAA and string walking

#2 Post by Ian Turner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Hopefully it was just a mistake and those words/paragraphs were meant to be included!
Cheers

clinglish

#3 Post by clinglish » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:44 pm

is there any safety issue with string walking, I dont do it but i am curious.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Kendaric

#4 Post by Kendaric » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:18 am

clinglish wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:44 pm is there any safety issue with string walking, I dont do it but i am curious.
I believe the biggest issue could be if an archer gun-barrels the arrow right up near the ear, and if a nock separates upon release, or the string breaks, then there is the possibility of damage to the eye. Probably a very rare occurrence, but why risk it.

Though not a safety issue so much, the other problem may be that string walking may also vary the bow tune when the release point is varied all the time, making for erratic arrow flight, which is why they will tend towards a bow on the long side. I think fixed crawl would be a better solution. String walking, fixed crawl and face walking are all legitimate methods of barebow aiming, though I don't subscribe to them myself, nor do I have an issue with it - assuming I am not directly competing against it. Some disciplines/divisions recognize it, and some don't. For those that don't I suspect that it is considered an advantage in some circumstances.

I note that TAA has never excluded facewalking per-say, in so much that it is not mentioned. Facewalking is akin to stringwalking, and I have seen it done at a trad shoot.

The only problem I do see with this shooting method (walking) is that most archers still use a high anchor, and to align the string with the arrow and target, requires that the nose is often in the string path - requiring some sort of band aid on the nose to protect it from continued chaffing. Not my idea of fun. It is one of the reason why sighted target recurver's use an anchor that is below the chin and touching the front of the nose, and have a large sight window on their risers. Others I note may also short draw to more the front of the mouth, instead of the corner, to reduce nose contact on release.
Last edited by Kendaric on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

clinglish

#5 Post by clinglish » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:35 pm

Thank for that, I have never seen anyone perform this method in person so my knowledge was limited.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"