Sneak round

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

wal

Sneak round

#1 Post by wal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 am

What is a "sneak round" and how are they set up, would anyone be able to give me an idea of guidelines, format etc ?

Cheers

shaftcaster

Re: Sneak round

#2 Post by shaftcaster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 pm

How I did it once [and prepared to be corrected] was that the Bow Hunting Coach had a collection of 3Ds hidden and blended in a pre determined small course and personally accompanied the participant around and on his command the shooter would stop ,survey and take the shot usually within a certain time period.
Like I said this may /may not be the correct format but that was how it was conducted back then [long time ago]

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm

The way the one at Lakeside Bowmen is run you place (or hide) a selection of 3D targets in the scrub, whether it be along a path of just plonked somewhere out of "sight" - the archer is timed, told to start and is is accompanied, not to advised when to stop, but you are not allowed to go "back" at all, so the person with you is just to keep you honest. They do not assist at all, just make sure you keep moving forward, and then of course, they point out the ones you missed along the way, and score at the same time. It is also good when the rest of the group cannot see where you go so retreive arrows.

The one held at Coff Coast Archers Trad shoot is: targets are placed in a "gully" area and each archer has 2 minutes (I think it is) to run through the course find and shoot at each target. It does get a little easier for the later archers as the arrows are left in the target until the end for each group. Having said that, if one archer misses a target, then those that follow will too.
It's like a hunt round, with no targets in site.
Some I have heard also have a mark on the ground, that once you reach, you've missed sighting said target, so you keep moving through.
Hope this makes sense.

cheers
sue :)

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 pm

If my memory serves me right, I shot a couple of these at the ABA Nationals at Orange many years ago.
And it was using 3D targets all hidden along a gully and you were timed with the scorer walking just behind you.
and some of the targets were set up on tracks and driven by electric motors that were started by the shooter
breaking a beam sensor.

I have fond memories of it because one of the setups was a cat that chased a rabbit that the shooter triggered
and me with my longbow hurled an arrow at the running cat and managed to plug dead center the
battery that powered the running rabbit set up that was sitting directly behind the cats track.

There was a bit head scratching and oh shitz we didn't think of that when we put the battery there. :roll: :?:

The targets were semi hidden to simulate hunting, so you had to look for them. And if you got to close you
triggered the beam which made the animal run, shot chance gone.!! supposedly but not for a longbower :lol:

Matt