Reversed Tapered Lamination In A Longbow Core.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Reversed Tapered Lamination In A Longbow Core.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:03 pm

I have never used a tapered lamination reversed in a core layup.

I can’t see the necessity for such a configuration in a core unless the laminations have excessive tapers and the reversed tapered lamination reduces the overall taper rate to minimise the possibility of a whip ended bow.

I have read / heard of the perceived benefits of doing this but there appears to be no statistical data to back up this perception.

Any thoughts and data on the above would be appreciated.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

Re: Reversed Tapered Lamination In A Longbow Core.

#2 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:57 am

To my thinking using a full length reverse taper is just like using a parallel, in place of the taper.Cant see the logic. However I have incorporated a reverse tip taper of some 8'' in length to facilitate a longer draw of some 30'' + in my 68'' longbows. Just allows the tips a little more resistance in the longer draw, and works well.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Bob,

My old 1980s 70# Martin ML10 longbow had stiffened tips and it was a ‘dog’ of a bow. It was probably due to it being a badly designed bow.

I put a thin tapered wedge in the tips of some of my recurve bows to help load up the mid limb section and to handle draws to 30 inches plus.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#4 Post by perry » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Hill style American Flatbows definitely benefited from a short reverse tapered wedge in the limb tips, absolute pigs of things without this to be honest.

Glenn Newell used a reverse Lamination it his heavily deflex reflexed Defiant Flatbows. It improved the shooting qualities of them quite remarkably. He arrived at the reverse taper in his layout by accident, laying them in backwards in a moment of inattention :lol: It simply held the already very narrow and thin tips a little stiffer and loaded the mid limb a little more. I am not sure I would bother using a reverse taper in a high stacked relatively narrow Bow. I think the reverse taper also serves better with a long wide at the fadeout pyramid shaped limb, especially a deflex reflex

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:39 pm

I could never see that there was benefit in a full reverse taper in a narrow limb deep cored longbow so I have never tried it.
perry wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm Hill style American Flatbows definitely benefited from a short reverse tapered wedge in the limb tips, absolute pigs of things without this to be honest
I have never found this to be the case Perry; the thing I found that made the most difference in shooting qualities with this style of bow was the limb profile. For example one with set back limbs would kick like a mule yet one with reflexed limbs was fine to shoot.

Jeff