Amazing new bow material...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Amazing new bow material...

#1 Post by kimall » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm

So the wife and I went to the Abbey Medieval festival and despite a case of food poisoning it was a good day.
It is amazing to see how in character both the stall holders and the visitors get with costumes everywhere.
I stopped at any of the tents making/selling bows and had a bit of a look and stopped at one very interesting
tent with about 30-40 recurve bows very elf looking with wooden sighs(SP) like the horse bows.
I asked what wood was used for the bows and was told miranti ends and the main part of the bow was a special
Australian made polymer with secret foam core which gave them incredible cast. he went on to say he even
melted the wax himself to put on the special strings he weaves from material you can only get directly from
the US. Apparently the bows are so fast he only makes them in lower poundage now....They sell for $240
I do have to give credit where due the paint job he has done on the PVC plumbing pipe he used for the bows did
look like wood from a distance (sort of) . :clap: Its great to see people keeping old ways going but some the
items that people tried to sell as being bows was really disappointing.
Next year I will go again because on the whole it was very well done and I was too sick to see everything but
I wont be keeping so quiet with this guy if he gets there next year.
Cheers KIM

perry

Re: Amazing new bow material...

#2 Post by perry » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 pm

G/Day Kim, should have called into the Archery Range, I was there chipping away making a Bow, Hemp Strings and hand planing Arrow Shafts. Snoppy's a mate of mine and I reckon full points to him for making these PVC Bows. They actually are very durable and shoot pretty well for what they are. If People want to pay that sort of money for a Bamboo Board Bow or a PVC Bow, well it's their money.

Did you get across to see the Fella with the Yew Warbows ? Thats Hunterguy1991, I reckon you would have been suitably impressed

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi Perry I didnt get around properly because I was so sick with food poisoning but was looking out for you.
I am not against anyone that fosters archery and makes their own gear but be honest and tell me what it
is and dont try to impress me with a material called " HI Tech Australian made polymer" when it is pvc
plumbing pipe. Hi tech imported string material "Dacron". I would have been a lot more impressed
if he just said yer its pvc pipe they come up good hey.
Cheers KIM

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:14 pm

kimall wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm ......interesting tent with about 30-40 recurve bows very elf looking with wooden sighs(SP) like the horse bows.
I asked what wood was used for the bows and was told miranti ends and the main part of the bow was a special
Australian made polymer with secret foam core which gave them incredible cast. he went on to say he even
melted the wax himself to put on the special strings he weaves from material you can only get directly from
the US. Apparently the bows are so fast he only makes them in lower poundage now.......but I wont be keeping so quiet with this guy if he gets there next year.
Perry,

If the above sales pitch is what your ‘mate’ uses to impress prospective customers then it is a gross misrepresentation of a bit of plastic pipe and he should be hauled over the coals for such statements.

During the week I heard that he has been banned from at least one similar event down south.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Too be honest other than on this Forum I have not had anyone approach me, overheard or had Snoopy or Glenn tell or talk to me and try too miss represent anything other than their Bows are made from thick walled PVC Pipe so what you are saying is news to me but I do not doubt you. I am 100% unaware of any complaints from Medieval Event Organisers or of them being banned from a Event. I am aware that donations of their Bows as Prizes for the Archery Competition and displays are no longer accepted because they are not period correct.

To be fair, very, very, few of the Retailers at these Medieval Fairs are selling Period correct items or merchandise and the majority of it is utter Crap ! They are taking retail advantage of the Reenactors who work very hard to present as authentic a display as they can. Its a fact that Retail is all about making money and that Bullsh*^ Baffles Brains. The old adage, let the Buyer beware is apt !

Now regardless of the fact I call these Gents my Friend or not if they are "guilding the Lilly" re their Bows they should be pulled into line - end of story ! Personally I am more concerned about another Archery Retailer that frequents these Medieval Fairs that I regard as the "Crazy Clarks" of Traditional Archery Shops. Like it or not as far as the general Public is concerned a lot of them want something that is cheap ???? looks the Part and shoots and both these retailers satisfy this dubious want ! Only a small % have any real interest in becoming an Archer, they play Warcraft or LARP so want a Bow and thats it

The best way to combat a Retailer who's business model offends us is to Educate the Public and put forward a "correct business model" and to honestly and without favour sell the truth. Over the years I have advised a lot of People who have smelt a Rat or have been burnt buying Archery Gear from Medieval Fairs that have approached me and I have offered advice too, repaired their Gear, made them a String, steered them to a Archery Club etc simply because it is my duty as a Traditional Archer.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin