Is it time to move on from Facebook??

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

temudjin

Is it time to move on from Facebook??

#1 Post by temudjin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am

Given the recent news of Facebook selling their user data without permission as well as scraping phone and text data from Android phones, again without permission, is it time we all reconsidered our use of Facebook as a replacement for OzBow?

I joined OzBow some years ago as a way of connecting with the trad community and staying up to date on shoot information. Then as the TAA Facebook page became more popular I "got" Facebook to stay up to date. And as a result I use OzBow less and less. It seems to me that based on the number of posts and comments on OzBow that perhaps I am not the only one?

I am no tech expert, but it seems to me that OzBow has never been guilty of the sort of behaviour we see from Facebook regularly. . .

* Pushing advertising for all sorts of unwanted stuff.

* Selling their members data without user permission.

* Scraping and using call and text message data from their users phones or computers.

So. . . why have we deserted our trad home online, owned by trad archers, run by and for trad archers and moved to Facebook which clearly places our privacy at risk by selling user data to governments and companies who only want to manipulate us?

I'd really like to see the trad family discuss this openly and respectfully.

Are there good reasons to use Facebook instead of OzBow?

Or should we all revert to our original home of trad archery online before our data is sold to be used by third parties without our permission by Facebook?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Is it time to move on from Facebook??

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am

I wouldn't touch Facebook or similar sites with a forty foot barge pole.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

temudjin

#3 Post by temudjin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm

I hear you Greybeard.

Have you noticed a "slowing" of posts and comments on OzBow as more people have begun to use Facebook?

I hope to get to chat with you about this over the coming weekend shoot at NAFA - see you there.
Last edited by temudjin on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#4 Post by Outbackdad » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

This is one reason I have not joined TAA Facebook or any other clubs Facebook.
I have Ozbow and it is all I need.

Eddie

Hope to see you Saturday Tom.

temudjin

#5 Post by temudjin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey Eddie,

I look forward to catching up Saturday too - see you there. It would also be good to chat about this issue as I think it is serious.

best regards,

Tom

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:05 pm

temudjin wrote:........Have you noticed a "slowing" of posts and comments on OzBow as more people have begun to use Facebook?....... .
Hi Tom,

Not necessarily, although the rate of my writing and posting articles etc on Ozbow has slowed down over the last twelve months or so I do not visit or post on other forums or gossip sites. I visit Ozbow every day but only log on when posting items or replies.

Over the years I have submitted numerous posts [with pictures] covering the wide variety/styles of bows that I make and experiments that I carry out. Additionally I have done posts on my bows i.e. f/d graphs, stored energy, arrow mass vs. performance etc.

You may have also noticed that many of the craftsmen/women and artisans do not post as regularly as the used to.

To continue posting articles on my bow making would be reiterating previous posts. If I do happen to come up with something unique in my bow making I will certainly post a story.

The above may also apply to other crafts people who have previously posted on several occasions.
Outbackdad wrote:This is one reason I have not joined TAA Facebook or any other clubs Facebook.
I have Ozbow and it is all I need.......
Hi Eddie,

Ozbow also covers my needs in archery.

Facebook probably suits a lot of clubs because they can’t get reliable members [volunteers] to successfully run and maintain their website over the long term.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi,
I also only use facebook when absolutely necessary: much prefer this forum and the Australian Bowhunting Forum and Archery Forum.org.
Cheers

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:24 am

Hello,

same response as on Facebook - limit personal info anywhere, and I will always post the shoot information where any archer will find it. I place here on ozbow for those not on FB, I place it on Travellin' Round the Trads on FB for those not on the TAA Closed site. Shoot calendar and flyers are available in many areas on FB and not.
In regard to the conversations, they come and go on all sites and forums. You get "bullies" on forums and they are generally either weeded out by natural attrition or given a little shove as required.
Sometimes the conversation doesn't quite go in a direction that is pleasing to some, or in fact any, one must be mindful of what one posts when in an emotional state.
Two things that cannot be retrieved, a harsh word and a spent arrow.. the difference is a the harsh words can be deleted from a post, however if someone has already seen them, it is too late.
Would someone please kick this crate out from under me..... it's too early in the morning. ;)

cheers
sue

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Interesting,

I use Facebook and will continue to do so.

Facebook is great because I use it exactly how I want to use it. I post what I want to post and that is visible to my friends and family and various acquaintances.

It is a tool I use for communication and have some fun but I am not a slave to it.

It is a tool that helps me stay in touch with like minded groups and individuals.

Sure there is some ******** but there is plenty of good information out there. Like YouTube, a tool. There is millions of hours of garbage on YouTube but still more hours of really great stuff than I will ever be able to watch. Last night I watched 4 different clips on making bowstrings...impossible 10 years ago.

Now, as for OzBow going to Facebook, I see that as just an added dimension and those that don't want you use Facebook won't be missing out on much and those that do won't be gaining much.

What Facebook does not do that forums such as this do well. Is that they hold a history of conversations that can be re-examined, re-ignited and bought back to life all under searchable and convenient Categories and Topics. THAT is what makes forums invaluable over the long term and Facebook does well in the real time or lighter topics.

Place for both, but if it were a choice then FB will not accommodate what this forum has traditionally delivered.

Regards
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Ian Turner

#10 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Another advantage of this forum and Aust Bowhunting Forum and ArcheryForum.org is that you get to know the people and can buy and sell from the forum folk being pretty comfortable that the person you are dealing with is Ok Aust Bowhunting Forum has a classifieds feedback section and you soon know if someone is NBG.
I wont buy from anyone on FB that i dont know either personally or through the forums; too many dodgeys on FB.
Cheers