PVC bows

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Chase N. Nocks

PVC bows

#1 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Hey all,

I was hesitant to put this under the traditional craft section.

Has anyone had any luck or experience making PVC bows in Oz.

Schedule 40 seems to be the standard product mentioned but I don't think we have that spec system in Oz.

Any clues or advise? I was a little surprised having done a search nothing came up. I thought surely someone has had a go.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

cmoore

Re: PVC bows

#2 Post by cmoore » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Hey Troy

Have made one with Aussie PVC, still works nice, but poundages aren't anywhere as good, aussie stuff has a wall thickness of 2mm at best where as the U.S schedule 40 has a 5mm? wall thickness
Set Happens

Chase N. Nocks

#3 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks mate.

That is what I was finding but thought I was not looking in the right places.

I thought surely hydrolic requirements would be pretty universal..

Wonder what the cost to get some over would be?

I did find a clear pvc from local supplier that claims schedule 40 specs but I suspect they were talking about pressure rating rather than dimensions.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

perry

#4 Post by perry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:52 pm

you want the thick walled Orange PVC Pipe Troy, I cant remember what it's called in this Country. The White stuff is no good for anything but little Kids Bows. Schedule 40 is an American rating. I have only played at making them, have not got fair dinkum. I know 3 Blokes that make very nice PVC Bows, 2 of them sell them commercially, the 3rd I have lost contact with. He used to post regularly on here and I cant remember his user name. I have seen draw weights of above 60#. The lads slide smaller Diameter Pipe inside the thick walled Orange Pipe to build heavier Bows and often fit Timber Siyah's when they make Asiatic style Bows. They have got very good at painting these PVC Bows to resemble Snake Patterns or even Timber. I have the phone details of one Fella in South Australia who sells them. He often comes up and sells his wares with the other Fella at the Medieval Fair's.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Chase N. Nocks

#5 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Hey thanks mate.

I was wondering about this - If I recall the Backyard Bowyer specifically warns away from the orange stuff for the US product but none of this seems to apply to the Aussie stuff - so good to know.

Hunting weight bows (if there is such a thing) hold little interest for me now as shooting anything over 40-45lb is just not enjoyable. I bought a 25 inch riser so I could keep using my TradTech Carbon limbs and even they coming in around 42-43 is upper limit really.

So looking at making 20-45 pound bows for me and the kids and friends. Be interested possibly in buying in the meantime as well if you send me contact details at your convenience that would be cool.

Probably the thing that intrigues me most is string durability and even well shaped nocks seem to be sharper than wood so am wondering about a thin leather pad or sleeve as a string protector. Maybe it is just me though as I have heard no one mention it as an issue.

Cheers mate
Troy

BTW how do I find the grain? And which side of the pipe can the heartwood be found?
"Shooting the Stickbow"

RobHunter

#6 Post by RobHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Dunno if this helps

thickest wall pvc pipe at bunnies

Holman 15mm x 3m Press Class 18 PVC Pipe

class 18 is equiv to sched 80 - ( i think)
class 12 is equiv to sched 40

is white not orange

Rgds rob

RobHunter

#7 Post by RobHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am

Hey thanks Rob.

That is definitely a help. Give me a great starting point to get some more information.

Will get down to the local plumbing supplies and see what they have.

Any extra information I'll throw on here.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"