Membership Qs

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

knoath

Membership Qs

#1 Post by knoath » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 am

Hi all, I have a temp membership with my local club, Bacchus Marsh Bowmen (VIC)
I'm finding the whole membership web confusing... I've a friend who's joind up with DVA in Melbourne, they cover target, indoor and 3D, I believe they are Archery Aus, Archery Vic affiliated.
From what I can gather, BMB are under the ABA banner, so if I take out an ABA membership am I recognised by Archery Australia and Victoria to be covered by the relevant insurances?
Then there's the 3DAAA!!!???
There seems to be so many branches and sub branches I don't know where to go!!!

I mainly want to start competing at my club to improve and learn about 3D shooting. From there I will look further afield.
Can someone please steer me in the right direction?

Cheers.
Dick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Membership Qs

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 am

Dick, We have three main archery bodies and they are Australian Bowhunters Association, Archery Australia and 3DAAA. There is also Traditional Archery Australia who are not a governing body as such but their aim is to promote and preserve Traditional Archery and they do have guide lines for Traditional Archery shoots that clubs can follow if they wish.

If you are a member of one of these organisations you may then attend and participate at shoots held buy any of the others. So being a member of Bacchus Marsh Bowmen you would also have to be a member of ABA I presume. If this is the case you may then attend shoots run by ABA, AA, 3DAAA and TAA. There may be restrictions on shooting in State or national titles I am not sure.

I think what I have said is how things operate now days but I am not 100% sure so hopefully some others might chime in if I have things wrong.

Jeff

knoath

#3 Post by knoath » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks Jeff, yes that does clear it up some.
Thank you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

There are a couple of Trad shoots in Vic - all at ABA clubs currently, except Dunolly, so you'll be ok in that respect. I'll be checking with each club prior to putting up the Trad shoot flyers.
cheers
sue

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Susie, Jeff, you guys have helped clear things up for me toooooo!!!
Thought i was going to have to join ABA, 3DAAA as well as AA: THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A FINANCIAL ISSUE!!
Cheers

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Nah Ian you're right to participate being part of AA.
Plus you have the independent clubs where you can belong to whoever you like including the Bowls and Tennis club, and it makes no difference as they have their own insurance covering their grounds so all "independent" archers are welcome, eg HVTA, Twin City Bowmen at Albury, Chevallan Archery Park in Qld, and any ANAA club welcomes non-members too, eg Coffs Habour. All these clubs also happen to hold really good Trad shoots.

cheers
sue

knoath

#7 Post by knoath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 am

So Sue, does that mean if I hold a full membership at my local club, I don't need to be a member of AA, ABA etc. if I only shoot at my local club as the membership will cover me for insurance at that club?
:think:

knoath

#8 Post by knoath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:06 am

Just read this on the Archery Australia website...

Archery Australia some years ago established a category of membership called "Temporary Member". This was done to overcome insurance concerns and to allow more people to experience the sport.
OPERATING RULES
Everyone shooting at your club/RGB must be current financial affiliate (members) of Archery Australia as either an Affiliate or Temporary Member, if not they do not comply with the Archery Australia Constitution and conditions of the insurance policy and the club/RGB may be at risk.
Temporary Membership is firstly intended for NON MEMBERS of Archery Australia who are taking part in an instruction course or Archery Come N Try.
Temporary Membership is also intended for visitors. These could be visitors or Archery Alliance members who are NOT currently registered with Archery Australia but wish to shoot at your club/RGB or enter an Cross Participation event.

By making visitors Temporary Members both the non member and your club/RGB is covered for insurance, but again, Temporary membership does NOT replace Full Membership.

Temporary Membership provides no rights or privileges other than Public Liability insurance coverage.
IMPORTANT POINTS
All NON MEMBERS taking part in an instruction activity, irrespective of the duration of the course, must take out Temporary Membership.
Your club/RGB may wish to invite Archery Alliance members (ABA or 3DAAA) to engage in Cross Participation tournament or club activity; in this case Temporary Membership forms should be used. Temporary membership does not replace any restriction placed on an individual by an Archery Alliance member. Allowance of Alliance Members to compete in an Cross Participation activity is at the sole discretion of the organising committee or host club/RGB.
For people undertaking instruction there is a maximum of 12 visits permitted. These 12 visits do not need to be consecutive but can be split over a longer period.
Temporary membership is not Associate membership.
A visitor or Archery Alliance member can attend a maximum of 4 times in a year. If a visitor wishes to visit more than 4 times in a year they should consider joining the club.
At all times Temporary Membership for the purpose of instruction or as a visitor/cross participation are two separate activities and can not be combined .
It is recommended that clubs/RGBs charge a fee for Temporary Membership which is retained by the club/RGB and hopefully used to develop coaching and member's facilities at the club/RGB.

So I guess Sue doesn't have to answer me... ;)

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

knoath, Sue would like to answer the question ;)

- the chapter you have posted relates to Archery Australia (AA) Rulings - your club Baccus Marsh Bowmen is an Australian Bowhunters Assoc (ABA) club and unless VIC is different to QLD and NSW, I think you will find you have joined ABA to become a full member of Baccus Marsh Bowmen.

all as clear as mud really :)

cheers
sue

knoath

#10 Post by knoath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:17 am

Thanks Sue...

Roadie

#11 Post by Roadie » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Some clubs offer you a temporary membership for a 3 month, just to make sure you are committed and a fit and proper person that they wish to have around.. Backkus Marsh as far as i know is ABA, as I have shot there and have had no issues. Shooting there. Hope this Helps. Cheers Roadie.

knoath

#12 Post by knoath » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

That sounds right Roadie.
Sue, as I only have a 3 month membership, I don't have a full ABA membership... I think it only covers me while on BMB's property.
I will be buying full memberships for myself and my son when it expires, at least I know who I'll be covered by now, so thanks again.