TAA

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

nuts1

TAA

#1 Post by nuts1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Traditional Archery Australia is not a governing body. We are here to promote Traditional Archery in all forms, Target, Field, and Bowhunting.
We also promote Australian Trad Archers, Australian Bowyers, Australian Fletchers and Australian leather workmanship. We have also created the Traditional Archery Australia Medal to recognise their achievements.

TAA has no input or do we get involved in the running or the politics of any club that caters for Traditional events.
There has be many rumours, stories and untruths going around about an incident that occurred at a club in Queensland, the club I have been a member of for 25 years and immediate past Vice President.

Regardless of how well known or how popular some Traditional Archers are, we all have to act responsibly and obey the rules as well as the clubs committee, whether it's the club we belong to or a club we are visiting.
Here is a report by the club secretary who investigated the incident:

• An area was roped off. It was thought that any reasonable person would not park in a roped off area. e.g., If a shopping centre car park was roped off would a reasonable person park there?
• On Wednesday 24 May, 2 members arrived and with total disregard parked within the roped off area. The president asked them to move. They refused, became belligerent and abusive arguing that the president had no right. (In fact the president and committee have authority under the Associations and Incorporations Act 1981).
• At this time no other vans were on site.
• The member then unhooked his van and they left not returning until Friday 26 May.
• The president not wanting to escalate the situation asked Keith Speight to be with him when he again spoke with the Members. The member refused to move and his wife started yelling at the president. They were advised that if they did not comply they would have to leave. The member said that he would not move or leave. He was advised that the police may be called. Not heeding this advise he challenged the president stating “Go on call the police, go on call the police, if they tell me to move I will, but I won't move for you”
• On Friday evening in an attempt to resolve the issue the president called a committee meeting. At the suggestion of the president, in an attempt not to escalate the situation, Keith Speight was delegated to talk with the Members.
• Keith spoke with them on Saturday 27 May. He received the same response. A decision was taken to involve the police and the Members were instructed to leave.

Graeme Hanisch JP

Secretary

There are rumours that I refused to move my camp to allow the members to move when asked to do so by the police, this is untrue, the moment I was asked to move I did so immediately.
This is a club issue nothing to do with Traditional Archery Australia or anyone else.

Some questions I have been asked recently.

Why are we holding a National Muster?
At our last AGM the committee was instructed to hold a National Shoot with Australian Championships. Which we are holding on October 7th and 8th this year.

By having a National Muster and Australian Champions as well as keeping records will help us to protect our sport by showing not only our Governing Associations but also state and national governments that we have the numbers and are organised.

Why do we have Insurance?
We were also instructed to create and purchase insurance coverage witch we have also achieved. The same coverage as all 3 Governing Associations. That covers our members for all archery activities including hunting.
Hopefully our Muster will produce enough to purchase next years insurance taking the pressure off to raise membership fees.

We have achieved quite a lot in the last couple of years and all at the request of our members.
Traditional Archery Australia is here to stay we have over 500 members and 5 affiliated clubs and growing.
We will continue to promote and protect Traditional Archery and its members

Keith Speight
National President
Traditional Archery Australia

sage

Re: TAA

#2 Post by sage » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Well said Keith. Lets come together for the better meant of traditional archery.

Ian Turner

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi to all on the TAA committee and the leadership the national muster or national comp is a great idea: keep up the good work to you all: i must renew my membership meant to this weekend at WF but couldnt go.
Cheers

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

This incident should not have happened, I was there, I know what I saw first hand and I left on Saturday arvo disgusted in support of Jim and Naryle. A long winded response here but it's something I am passionate about.

To drag Traditional Archery Australia into a local club incident they had nothing to do with organising and then bad mouth TAA from one end of the Country to the other because one Man who is the President of the organisation and a long standing member of the Club involved is DRAWING A VERY LONG BOW to coin a phrase.

I have said in private conversations with plenty of People, if you don't agree any person should hold what ever position or agree with the direction what ever organisation is travelling have the balls to lobby through the right channels or run against them, nominate yourself or a willing Person you feel will fill the role and get yourself or them elected. Basically contribute, put up or shut up

Do you reckon any of us can pass Muster now days, we hold people to impossible standards and seem to run from one moment of outrage to the next. From what I hear now Keith has become as an easy target to whinge about when to my mind other People who played a more SIGNIFICANT role have been forgotten.

Without Traditional Archery Australia's support there is no way I could have set up and run the successful Selfbow Workshops that I have this year and will into the future. Traditional Archery has had it's cause advanced with the governing bodies through the efforts of Traditional Archery Australia.Traditional Archer's are not well understood by the Governing bodies and TAA has made great strides towards bridging that divide

I am really looking forward to attending the Traditional Archery Australia Muster because I believe in TAA's charter, I want to see old Trad Mates and make new ones and see what everyone is up too in the Trad World.

Whats more important is we take the lessons to be learned here on board and move on, I am not interested in taking sides or tearing down something that a lot of People have put a lot of effort into just because of long standing personnel beefs complicating an already cloudy affair, please lets all forgive and move on.

Finally I have long held a vision for a Week long celebration of Traditional Archery, where People from far and wide come to a gathering of like minded Archers and we conduct Workshops to preserve and pass on knowledge of making and Shooting Trad Gear, Accouterments's and other associated skills, go out on Ranges and shoot Socially through the week with your new gear and on the final 2 days conduct a Tournament.

Some People will have a different vision and that's fine but tell me how do we align our visions of Traditional Archery in Australia without supporting a Organisation such as Traditional Archery Australia, surely an ideal such as this is better than tearing it down with divisive bickering and bitching.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin