article on Dallas Conway.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

article on Dallas Conway.

#1 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 am

stickbow's Leatherwall has a scanned article on Dallas Conway , one of our early bowhunters of repute. He was a gifted author, poet, artist and musician as well For those who like Aussie bow history it is worth reading as he takes the then Australian record goat.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

Re: article on Dallas Conway.

#2 Post by perry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:38 am

A mate of mine Glenn Hines knew Dallas Conway well, Hunted with him and has told us many Stories of Dallas as we shared a Bottle of Port around a Camp Fire. I started my life in Archery hearing stories about and reading Articles by Dallas Conway but never got to meet him. He left a legacy to be admired. Thanks for the heads up Bob

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm

One of our earlier bowhunters and a great promotor of Bowhunting. His book is well worth a read also.

Jeff

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 am

Cant remember reading his book but remember his articles, cartoons and poems in Hunting mags of the times.Passed away far too young.
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 pm

bigbob wrote:Cant remember reading his book but remember his articles, cartoons and poems in Hunting mags of the times.
We are away travelling at present Bob so can't give you the actual name of the book but I think it was in the Murray's series of books; Murray's guide to Archery or something like that.

Jeff

curve

#6 Post by curve » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Grew up reading about Dallas - I think it was Outdoors magazine - reading all about his 55lb recurve - shooting POC shafts and Davies delta broadheads - smashing the pigs in the Macquarie Marshes. His exploits inspired me to get my first recurve.

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

thanks Jeff, will have a look into it.curve you might be right there. Along with Vic Mc Crystal and his fishing and hunting stories [rifle] I do believe Dallas wrote some articles for the early Outdoors mag. which was almost my 'bible' in those days.
razorbows.com

Kendaric

#8 Post by Kendaric » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 pm

My first archery book as a kid was Murray's Guide to Archery by Dallas Conway. I cut my teeth on that book and still have it.

He had the weirdest shooting style and many of his statements in the book were somewhat incorrect, but I have fond memories of it. Still read it on occasions for a bit of nostalgia.

perry

#9 Post by perry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 pm

I think the Magazine you Folks are referring too was called Australian Outdoor's, lots of Bowhunting greats wrote stories that where published in it. It was last published in the early to mid 80's fro memory.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin