The better I can aim the more humane

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GorillaSuitGhost

The better I can aim the more humane

#1 Post by GorillaSuitGhost » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:52 pm

I am learning to shoot so as to hunt my with my sons in my local area. I rather use a recurve bow but a compound bow offers me more power and time to aim... My main concern is I would want a humane shot. Which bow to buy? Thanks in advance.

perry

Re: The better I can aim the more humane

#2 Post by perry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 am

It is best if you could get down to a local Field Archery/ Bowhunting Club, give us a general idea of the district you live in and we should be able to advise you which Club is closest and best suited. Here you will be exposed to experienced Archer's who could guide you personally with Coaching and the best equipment for you. I am sure a selection of Trad Bows would be presented for you to try before you buy

It is difficult to recommend a Bow other than in general terms without more information such as your Height, physical capabilities etc. Having said that I think that a Recurve Bow such as a Samick Sage would be ideal. They are priced very competitively, are well made and come in Draw Weight's from under 40 # to 60#. The Limbs are available separately and you could step up in Draw Weight as you gain experience. I would also look about for a second hand Bow.

While I would strongly recommend you learn to make and shoot your own Wood Arrows often a beginner is better off visiting an Archery Dealer and buying some cheaper Fibreglass or Carbon Arrows until they achieve some consistent Form. The synthetic Arrows are more durable and less of a hit to the hip Pocket than buying more fragile Wooden Arrows in the long run. Once you have some degree of repeatable Form learn about Wood Arrows then

Please think about getting to a Club or at least looking in the Traditional Events section of this Forum so you can come along for a look and try at a Trad Shoot.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Firstly welcome to Ozbow. Regardless of the equipment you use there is one VERY important thing you should remember when you are bowhunting and that is this.

Know the limitations of yourself and your equipment; only take shots where a humane killing shot is probable rather than possible.
GorillaSuitGhost wrote: I rather use a recurve bow but a compound bow offers me more power and time to aim... My main concern is I would want a humane shot.
If you wish to shoot a recurve then shoot a recurve as I fail to see that a compound bow can in anyway be said to be a more humane way to hunt. What makes your choice of bow a humane way to hunt is not it's power or how long you can hold it at full draw, it is knowing the limitations of your chosen equipment and that of yourself and ONLY using it within those limitations.

If when using your chosen equipment you find you are only accurate out to fifteen metres than when hunting you must limit yourself to only taking shots at fifteen metres or less. You will find you will have to improve your bush skills to enable you to stalk in that close to the game you are hunting.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that hunting with a traditional bow is less humane than shooting a compound bow, there are those who will, as it just isn't true.

Jeff

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Perry and Jeff have pretty well covered it. Firstly you need to make up your own mind as to which bow you would like to shoot.
Then you need to gain confidence in your own shooting with your chosen equipment, which will only come with time, patience and a lot of shooting your bow, with matched arrows of course.
It is not the bow on its own, that is inhumane, it is the archers lack of skill, confidence, experience that makes the shot placement inhumane.

cheers
sue

GorillaSuitGhost

#5 Post by GorillaSuitGhost » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks heaps, I'll get a bow and keep practising. I'm east of melbourne and practice in Don VAlley. Maybe I'll chase up the Lilydale Bow club. Thanks again.

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:58 pm

I am sure a few Victorian Trad Archers will be along to help with considered advice and direction's to you're closest Club very soon, good luck and welcome to Traditional Archery. There are no shortcuts, just dedication and determination.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

RobHunter

#7 Post by RobHunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 pm

G'day

Just a note -avoid the cheap ragim matrix bow - they are not well made, I bought one for my son, 3 years ago and the limbs kept twisting (a common and ongoing issue) causing the string to come off when drawing (scary)- the store eventually exchanged it for a more expensive model, the impala at no extra cost, but took a few trips back and forth b4 that happened. My nephew has a Samick sage
and that is a great buy, but I'd recommend that you get a decent string made (a few people on here make them) as his unraveled after a few months.

rgds Rob

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Lilydale Bowmen has quite a few Traditional archers and would be more than happy to help you with your new journey.

cheers
sue

GorillaSuitGhost

#9 Post by GorillaSuitGhost » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks heaps everyone, Samick sage it is. Pick it up next week and I can't wait; thanks again.