Sourcing Black Wattle in Victoria

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Muz1970

Sourcing Black Wattle in Victoria

#1 Post by Muz1970 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi Peoples, I'm driving over to Victoria in June for a hunting trip and was hoping to track down some timbers to bring back with me for future bow building.

In particular I'm interested in getting hold of some Black Wattle.

Any ideas?

Cheers Muz

flyonline

Re: Sourcing Black Wattle in Victoria

#2 Post by flyonline » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:43 pm

How much are you after and where are you travelling?

I possibly might have some to harvest (which I was going to do anyway) so I'll check it out when I'm there next. If you do get some, make sure you treat it for borers. I've got some poles of it that they moved into almost as soon as it was horizontal, much quicker than anything else I've got laying around and every piece has them.

Might have some other bits and pieces for you too :wink:

Steve

Muz1970

#3 Post by Muz1970 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Steve, We're doing a 3 week trip driving over to the King Valley region to chase Sambar. Will be catching up with a mate in Castlemaine on the way through.
Hoping to pick enough timber to make veneers and a some riser blocks for a couple of bows. Just chasing some variety to the WA timbers I've been using.

Always interested in bits and pieces, can never have to many..

Also have to go into Melbourne at some stage to visit the Taxidermist.

Any help appreciated, cheers Muz

flyonline

#4 Post by flyonline » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:58 am

The king valley is only a short hop from me, so should be no problems getting it to you.

Riser blocks I can give you in a couple of different timbers, probably in black wattle as well but veneers/stock may be more difficult as I'm not really able to cut them myself but leave it with me.

Let me know a rough size for both riser and veneer stock so you're not carting extra weight/space around and what dates you'll be here.

Steve

cadet

#5 Post by cadet » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:10 am

Are you looking for sawn timber or a tree to cut? I know of a few stands of particularly straight saplings with 3-4" diameters on the side of a main road.

Muz1970

#6 Post by Muz1970 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi Cadet, chasing sawn timber if possible, thanks anyway.

Hi Steve, we're leaving Bunbury on Saturday 10th June and should be there by the Monday morning the 12th. We plan on leaving to head back home on Friday morning the 30th at the latest.

If possible riser blocks would be minimum of 650mm long x 50mm wide x 75mm deep to suit my recurves or 550mm long for my longbows.
Veneers would be minimum of 50mm wide by 1800mm long with a depth of 12-15mm. Could also be 900mm long, prefer one piece.

Anything greater in measurements would be awesome. Anything smaller can still be used also.
Where abouts are you? Be more than happy to collect.

Its not the end of the world if I can't source any timbers but thought it would be a great opportunity to try.

Lets me know what your chasing for your efforts. Give me a call or text if you prefer.

Thanks heaps - Muz 0448 974 519