Why Not EL?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Why Not EL?

#1 Post by greybeard » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm

It would appear that about 99% of the time the description is written as an ‘English longbow’, occasionally 'long bow' or 'long-bow.'

Should the abbreviation be EL and not ELB?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

Re: Why Not EL?

#2 Post by GrahameA » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:27 am

Morning.
greybeard wrote:... Should the abbreviation be EL and not ELB?
That shouldbe a question for the eytmoligists and lexicographers.

What is an appropriate abbreviation for Longbow/long bow/etc.? That decision would effectively determine what be appropriate for English Longbow/whatever.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:55 am

Thankyou for the opportunity to use the Dictionary Grahame. I cant really contribute anything more to any intellectual topic other than to say I used to be able to lift heavy things and my head hurts after trying to pronouce those Words. To further stretch myself I typed English Long Bow to see what the Spell check [ American anyway ] would come up with - English Longbow - Longbow was one word that is assuming I did not add it to my Spell Check's Dictionary so lets make a rule of Ozbow to be trendsetter's and abbreviate to EL. Repeat something often enough and it will become truth, our Politicians taught us that, ELB roll's of the Tongue better though :biggrin: sorta like having a Flat White and not a White Coffee

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:16 am

Morning Perry

We know historically that originally they were called bows. Then the adjective, long, was added to differentiate them from 'cross bows'. Refer Paxton letters. (Do a search on this forum for tge newcomers.) Then e(E)nglish was added to differentiate the bow that was used by the English during the medieval era that was different to the bows that were used by other countries/geographic regions.

e.g. Burgundian bows compared to Saracen bows compared to ....

Then during the Victorian/Edwardian era competitive archery made a bit of a comeback and the 'style' of that was used in England was different to those used in some other places. Thus the term English Long Bow got another boost. The 1904 Olympics were in St Louis and the style of bow many used was in the style of those popular in England which was different to the 'indigenous' style of long bow .. and then along came Hickman.

Note; The Oxford considers itself a recorder of standard/use not a setter of standards.

On that basis I would go with ELB.

p.s. You get extra Brownie points for thinking about it.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

DavidM

#5 Post by DavidM » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:53 pm

How about ALB "Angelcynn Lang Boga" Old English (500-1100) Translation, I think :) pity its the wrong time period :(

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 pm

From researching some books from 1500's the bow was simply referred to as a 'bow'.

In 1859 Horace Ford made reference to the 'English Long Bow".
English Long Bow.jpg
English Long Bow.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
I shall start using the term 'long bow'.

As far as the A F B is concerned I have been guilty of writing it as 'flatbow' and not 'flat bow'.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....