Riser Repair

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

toby

Riser Repair

#1 Post by toby » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi guys does any one do riser repairs? This is a bow I sold a few months ago & has in the last few days developed a check or crack in the riser.
Any help would be appreciated by the owner.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.58 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.7 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Lyonel

gazza

Re: Riser Repair

#2 Post by gazza » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:07 pm

hey mate i,m in d bay you should bring your riser around and we,, see what can be done ,gazza.
The older i get the better i was

toby

#3 Post by toby » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Sorry Gazza the riser is near Katherine in the Territory, l sold it to a guy a few months ago with no crack & just noticed it in the last week. He contacted me not knowing what to do so I'm trying to help him.
Lyonel

toby

#4 Post by toby » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Looks to be an unusual place to crack? Not sure if it's the timber drying out and checking in the dryer climate in Katherine or if it's stress related?
Lyonel

kimall

#5 Post by kimall » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:09 pm

I had a brand new Robertson do the same when it came from the USA. The bowyer told me to send it back and he would repair it so I did. Months later it came back with super glue run into the crack to repair. If finished correctly this method can work just fine.It seems most common just there on the shelf on the bows I have seen that have cracked the riser.
Cheers KIM
PS Looking at it again that looks like bocoty(SP) which is very oily so odd that it should have a drying crack. :oops:

perry

#6 Post by perry » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:41 am

That does not look like a drying check to me. Maybe a series of Photo's 360 degree's around the Riser might shed more light ? As the Riser is laminated I don't think the Riser would fail. Only way I can think of to repair it is is use a very thin Superglue and try to dribble it so it flows into the Crack. If done right you would not need to refinish the Riser as Superglue would dry into it's own barrier to the elements. What a Bugger !

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Flatliner

#7 Post by Flatliner » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:00 am

Hi Toby, That is a very common place for a riser to crack, it does seem to happen when there is a dramatic drop in humidity along with a rise in temperature, I think that, combined with a little stress from drawing the bow can be the straw that does the damage.
But here is how to fix it. You will need some seriously strong epoxy glue such as Techniglue or Smooth-on (don't use an inferior glue or the problem will become unfix-able), string the bow and using a piece of timber about 15- 20 inches long to hold it partially drawn to open up the crack a bit. Put a little of the well mixed glue on your index finger and kind of punch it into the crack repetitively on top of the arrow shelf only until the glue comes out the crack on the underside of the arrow shelf. When you are sure the crack is full of glue wipe off the excess glue and remove the stick that is holding it drawn, then wipe off the excess glue again, then un-string the bow and remove the excess glue again. let it dry for a couple of days before you use it.
I have repaired several bows, two of which were my own, using this method and they are all still holding up well.

Hope this helps,
cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au