First ABA comp

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Bago

First ABA comp

#1 Post by Bago » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:01 am

Hey guys i got my first ABA comp on this morning, cant sleep! Can't wait! I'll be shooting my Bear Montana 35# longbow with 500spine traditional eastons. Wish me luck! ☺☺

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: First ABA comp

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Paper or 3D? :Bow
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Bago

#3 Post by Bago » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:55 pm

greybeard wrote:Paper or 3D? :Bow
First time paper animal shaped paper targets I scored 140/400 in the first round and 146/400 in the second round.

My first shoot at 3D was a couple of weeks ago and went better with 196/400 first round and 151/400 second round.

After finishing today i went to the practise range and shot till my fingers were num lol and managed to shoot about a 100mm group at ten metres consistantly and about 300mm groups at twenty metres so im happy with that today!! I was trying a few different things to like trying a split finger hook or three fingers under and found i was more consistant with three fingers under so i might stick with that from now on. Also i found locking my thumb under my jaw was better instead of squishing it against my cheek. I found buy putting my thumb under my jaw i reduced slapping my forearm with the string thus arrows flying much better too :mrgreen:

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi Bago
A tip to stop slapping your arm, roll your wrist inwards as you draw so you keep the back of your wrist almost parallel with the outside of your forearm. I have shot trad bows for twenty years and I do not wear a wrist guard when shooting targets with either a longbow or recurve and I only wear one hunting to stop the leaf suit tangling in the string.
cheers
Matt

Kendaric

#5 Post by Kendaric » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 am

Bago wrote:I'll be shooting my Bear Montana 35# longbow with 500spine traditional eastons.
Bago wrote:I found buy putting my thumb under my jaw i reduced slapping my forearm with the string thus arrows flying much better too
One of the reasons you may be getting this slapping and poor arrow flight is that your arrows are way way overspined for this bow at this poundage.

Kendaric

#6 Post by Kendaric » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:47 am

matt61 wrote:roll your wrist inwards as you draw so you keep the back of your wrist almost parallel with the outside of your forearm.
Which wrist are you taking about, bow-arm wrist or draw-arm wrist?

matt61

#7 Post by matt61 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Bow arm , hold up your bow without pulling back on the string but with a little bit of tension on it and roll your wrist, left and right and you will see what I mean. With the back of your wrist almost parallel to the outside of your forearm a longbow string should stop almost an inch away from the inside of your forearm.
Matt