G'day from a newbie

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Forester

G'day from a newbie

#1 Post by Forester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi guys - just joined the site and thought I would say g’day and introduce myself.

I am pretty new to archery and love it all - actually shooting a bow and making my own gear. After reading the TBB books and finding some of the American forums like paleoplanet, it is great to find a like-minded group of people in Australia with local experience. I have already learned a lot from just reading through the posts and looking at the photos. My main interest is self bows and I have had a crack at making a couple - one out of an Ash sapling in Germany a few years ago and now I have nearly finished another sapling bow from Broad-leaved Privet. We have lots of it on our place in Brisbane and it grows really straight, so hopefully I can make a decent bow out of it. In the meantime I am shooting a Samick fibreglass recurve, but want to start using my own bows soon. I would love to eventually go hunting with my own gear, but my groups need to get a lot tighter and more consistent before then :smile:. I have also just finished my first quiver out of an old leather bag and I have some bamboo drying to see if they will make ok arrows one day …. So many things to do and so little time… especially with three young kids around!
Cheers,
Tim

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: G'day from a newbie

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Ozbow.

Hopefully you will find some useful information when browsing the various topics.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#3 Post by Outbackdad » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Tim

Welcome to Ozbow.
Hope you enjoy your time on Ozbow. Yes there is a lot of information on the site, from a lot of good people.
Best of luck with your bow building.

Eddie

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Welcome to Ozbow

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Big hello there!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Ronster

#6 Post by Ronster » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:49 pm

Welcome to ozbow Tim, hope to meet you at the Trad shoots. :Bow

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

perry

#7 Post by perry » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Welcome Tim, lots to learn on this Forum and more importantly lots of Folks happy to share their knowledge. I recommend you get to the Trad Shoots and put Faces to names, most of the Faces are really Ugly though

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Forester

#8 Post by Forester » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone! I agree, it would be great to get to one of the trad shoots - they sound like a lot of fun. One would probably learn more in an afternoon watching and talking than in a month of looking online and reading books...

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Welcome to the ozbow family.
Woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:02 pm

G'day Tim.

clinglish

#11 Post by clinglish » Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Howdy Tim, you will find a vast array of very knowledgeable and experienced individuals on this forum.
Welcome to the fold
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"