Archery Fact / Fiction Books - your Recommendations

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Archery Fact / Fiction Books - your Recommendations

#1 Post by perry » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:16 pm

G/Day Folks

I've recently found myself with a bit of spare time on my Hands, I've been Stood Down on Full Pay due to my Back Injury. I've been keeping myself reasonably busy but find myself looking for a bit of Mental Stimulation.

Today I went to the Shops with my Mrs [ that in itself is a Warning :? ] and walked around for 4 Hours trying to keep myself Moving and stopped by QBD and had a Browse. I found a Copy of Bernard Cornwell's Book Azincourt reduced from $34.95 to $9.99. I have a vague memory that Roadie recommended this Book last I saw him. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I figure a good way to keep myself occupied / moving is too go for a Walk, plant myself on a Park Bench and Read a Chapter or 3. Any good Reads you good Folks can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

regards Perry
Last edited by perry on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

Re: Archery Fact / Fiction Books - your Recommendations

#2 Post by Roadie » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Ay Perry get in touch, how many books do you want. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:06 pm

" grey goose wing' or something like that if you haven't read it.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#4 Post by perry » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Afternoon Fella's, keep the Titles coming, gives me something to look for.

Bob, "The Grey Goose Wing", I have not read that, in fact I have only seen one Copy in my Life and it was a special order from the States - that would be a find !

Grant, only looking to have / read one Book at a time Mate. You have given me an idea. With the commonly available Books we could Read them and return to the Person we borrowed off or pass it on at the next Trad Shoot, a circulating Library. I'll be in Touch.

Was looking around the Net and found this Article http://thornews.com/2013/11/10/the-breh ... w-1300-bc/ more Interesting Reading here.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Shrek

#5 Post by Shrek » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Hey Sir Perry of Portalot.This stand down is probably a good thing it will give you time to mend,and you get paid.The grail series by Bernard Cornwell is great reading and I would loan you the whole set but it is on loan to a young archer at the club,but any of his books are great reading and because you don't mind black powder and flint locks he does the Sharps series about the Napoleonic wars and the American civil war enough in just his work to keep that off beat brain of yours bubbling.Stay away from the shops mate unless there are Hubby seats every 100mtrs or so or you will want to top yaself..What do they do there all day? Get well Gaspard and I will catch you up soon "BIGMON"

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi Perry.

Join the local council library - that will reduce you costs significantly.

Bernard Cornwell any of his series just read them in order.

Patrick OBrian - the Aubrey-Maturin series, once again read in order.

CS Forester - Hornblower series, again read in order.

That lot shoukd keep you busy for a year or so.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:06 pm

I read that book 'The grey goose wing' probably 30 years or more ago which is why the memory was a bit sketchy. It imprinted itself on my mind nevertheless. Also Traditional bowyers Bibles as well as any of Paul Comstock's to mention couple more.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#8 Post by perry » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Great suggestions Folks, I'm awake to some of Bernard Cornwall, thanks for the recommendations I did not know about. Lifeline Bookfest must be due again soon. Might have to go along again. I picked up some brilliant out of print Leathercraft Books a couple of years ago.

Top suggestion on joining the local library , why didn't I think of that :]

Shrek I hear you on the Hubby Seats, Mandy's been great and I like spending time with Her but there is a limit!!!!

I only wish I was Stood Down for my benefit and to Heal. I won't be Healing and my Job as it stands now after some changes where made to accommodate me is perfect to keep me Mobile and gives me a sense of purpose. My employer is only concerned for the perceived liability they are afraid I am. Enough of this rubbish, wont be mentioning it again.

Thanks again Folks

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

BowmanBjorn

#9 Post by BowmanBjorn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 am

John Flanagan's Rangers Apprentice series is a great archers easy reading series. i think it was more pitched at teenagers but its been a fun read none the less. it quite a big series of books that need to be read in order. i'm on book five and its an easy ready with a lot of archery and woodsman skills,knives etc.

so keep an eye out for those too.

it may be worth you getting a kindle to read from. very compact and books are cheap some are free most i pay around $3-8 for and you have them on your library for for life. i travel a lot so its been a godsend to have all my reading material in one place. i end up storing any interesting documents i come across on it as well for future reference.

enjoy the down time and get better!
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Afternoon.

If you are interested in the American Civil War.

In order...

Gods and Generals - Jeff Sharra
The Killer Angels - Michael Sharra
The Last Full Measure - Jeff Sharra

"Gods and Generals" and "Gettysburg" films (both excellent films), are based on 'Gods and Generals' and 'The Killer Angels'.

Jeff Sharra has other great titles/books
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

#11 Post by perry » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks again Fella's. I have started reading Azincourt - had me from the first Paragraph. Very hard Book to put down

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

bstan86

#12 Post by bstan86 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:33 am

Gday mate.

Bloody awful this rough trot you've been going through - I really feel for you mate.

I have numerous books here that you would absolutely love - some really fantastic reads.

Tom Cole, Syd Kyle Little, Carl Warburton are great authors from the old Aussie buff hunting days.

I have plenty of other random stuff as well.

You're welcome to any of it mate - any time. :handgestures-thumbup:

perry

#13 Post by perry » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:06 am

Morning Brian, hows things Champ ? Will take you up on your offer. Must come out and show and tell the Flintlock and the Howa. Got nothing but time right now :biggrin:

I have "Death in the Long Grass" and "Death in the Dark Continent" by Peter Hathaway Capstick. They are great reads Brian, there was some controversy around them with some questioning his experience but I reckon it was just Tall Poppy Syndrome. He had some terrific Adventures as a PH in Africa.

Any of you Folks read any of Capstick's Books ?

Yesterday Troy [Chasin Nocks] and I went and saw "The Revenant", top Movie really enjoyed it but it was not quite what I was expecting. Basically a Mountain Scout had a really Bad Month or so after White Men Killed his Pawnee Wife and disfigured his Son a few Years beforehand. There was a Jumble of actual Historic events that where in the Film but Hollywood put a spin on it and changed the names, events and people. I thought Tom Hardy played a better Role than DiCaprio did. Most definitely be getting it when it comes out on DVD. Nice way to spend nearly 3 hours.

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned the Lifeline Bookfest. Turns out it started this Weekend and is running until the 26th of January. I'll be making the trip.

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

bstan86

#14 Post by bstan86 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:49 am

Gday perry.

I've been keen to read Capstick for some time now.

I am also very keen to watch the Revenant too.

Those lifeline book fests are a bloody great way to expand your library and I've always found interesting books I never even knew about at them.

I'll be away splatting bunnies down south this coming weekend but anytime after that I'll likely be free mate. Don't forget you're more than welcome to come during the week and do whatever you like while we're at work - doesn't have to be just weekends. :handgestures-thumbup:

perry

#15 Post by perry » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Today I wandered down to the local Lifeline Store. They had a 25% off Books Sale and only spent $9 for 4 Books. I got 3 Bernard Cornwall books

Heretic
The Burning Land
The Lords of the North

I'll have a look and see if they need to be read in any order.

and a Copy of Charles Frazier "Cold Mountain" The Movie was on SBS early last Week or late the Week before and I quite enjoyed it. On Sunday Troy loaned me some Books so now I have enough reading for several Months, thanks for the suggestions Folks

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

#16 Post by Roadie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Ay Perry. You need to read, Harlequin,first followed by Vagabond, then Heretic last, I also have the Starbuck Chronicles, Waterloo, Stonhenge and the Last Kingdom series as well as the Sharpe series of the Napoleon Wars in DVD. Give us a yell if interested in any. Cheers Roadie.

bstan86

#17 Post by bstan86 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 am

Hey perry I just remembered I have Ed Ashbies new book here too if you are keen. :Bow

Scrub Bull

#18 Post by Scrub Bull » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Hey Perry here is a link to a bunch of old archery books online
https://archive.org/details/americana?&and[]=Archery
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

Nezwin

#19 Post by Nezwin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:56 am

I've been a huge Cornwall fan for years now. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Winter King books - the author himself has said these are his best works, and he's not wrong.

The Winter King, then Enemy of God, then Excalibur. I would've read them a few times now, they're superb.

rodlonq

#20 Post by rodlonq » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 pm

I enjoyed reading "the Doorway Buck" for a bit of light fiction. I can send it to you if you want to have a look.

Chase N. Nocks

#21 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon May 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Nezwin wrote:I've been a huge Cornwall fan for years now. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Winter King books - the author himself has said these are his best works, and he's not wrong.

The Winter King, then Enemy of God, then Excalibur. I would've read them a few times now, they're superb.
Yes Perry I have mentioned these to you as well and can definitely second Nezwin's recommendation...very interesting spin on the legend - Arthur is a bit of a frustrating twit though.

Some great fantasy (sort of steampunk more than fantastical animals and races) would be Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora - fantastic story telling - (he and Robin Hobb are my choices to finish the Game of Thrones series of George kicks it) the series has not been finished being written yet but there are 3(?) books out there so far.

Started reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series - so far pretty good. And the Jack Reacher novels are a good read - nothing too taxing for the thought processes but usually have a cool twist or two thrown in and good pacing.

Joe Abercrombe's The Blade Itself: The First Law: another fantasy/medieval series as well as Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle.

Anything by Bill Bryson (observational non fiction mostly) and his book Short History of Nearly Everything - well researched and hilarious. (I find he has an almost Australian sense of humour)

Les Miserables if you haven't read it (truly beautiful writing) I know you are well read so not sure how many of the classics you have read but even so so many are worth revisiting. (Not all but many)

Shakespeare. everything that is a play can't get into the sonnets etc though.

And get a kindle or a tablet just for you - there are a jillion books on amazon that are free or $1-$2 on everything from the Crusades to the American frontier to Ancient History and Philosophy, the classics from Aesop to Chaucer to Twain. Kit Carson's own autobiography I think was about a $1..mate there is enough free and dirt cheap books to see you to the grave.

You know I love my library and it took me a long time to convert to Kindle (no completely mind) but now I can go on holiday with 300-400 books in my pocket and can read anywhere with or without light...treat yourself.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

rodlonq

#22 Post by rodlonq » Wed May 18, 2016 10:45 am

G'day Perry,

There is a lot of reading available for download such as https://archive.org/details/8hbow . You might need a laptop or iPad so you can read it laying down if you are not up to sitting at the computer for long periods.

Hope you get the pain under control soon.

Cheers... Rod

clinglish

#23 Post by clinglish » Wed May 18, 2016 5:41 pm

If you haven't read it already , Born To The Bow by the late Bill Baker is an enjoyable read
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

perry

#24 Post by perry » Sat May 21, 2016 11:31 am

Surprised this old thread is still active.

I have read more Books of late than I have read in the last 5 Years . Just finishing Bernard Cornwell's Death of Kings, I have been engrossed in every Book in this series just as I was in his Grail Quest Series. I would put these 2 Series down as the best I have ever Read.

I will be starting the Sharpe's series of Books as soon as I track down a Book Exchange / Op Shop copy of the first book in the series Sharpes Tiger. I'm determined to read them in chronological order.

- Charles Darwin

flyonline

#25 Post by flyonline » Sat May 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Check your library on the Sharpe series, all my locals over the years have had quite a few.

Tim Severin is another nautical writer, both fact and fiction. He's a naval historian/designer and has built and completed a number of historical voyages using traditional materials and methods (think Heyerdahl and Kontiki but MUCH better). His Brendan voyage of sailing across the atlantic in a leather boat is still one of my favourite books of all time.