My first letter to a MP

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

perry

My first letter to a MP

#1 Post by perry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Thought this worth posting here Folks as Bowhunting is not safe, this is the same Minister that had a Crack a Banning Compounds last Year - just keeping everyone up to Date with whats happening and how little Politicians care for the Shooting Sports

To the Hon Mark Ryan
My name is Perry Jackson and I live in your Electorate “Morayfield”. It is with great concern that I write to you today.

Like many other People in this Electorate I am a licensed Firearms owner. I am registered with the Rocksberg Q 61 SSAA Branch and I am continuing a proud Tradition in my Family of Hunting to put Meat on my Table to share with Family and Friends. I assist Western Landowners in controlling Feral Animals. I take great pride in passing on Traditional and Outdoor Skills my Father and others have taught me over the Years to interested young People. I Shoot Targets Socially at SSAA Ranges and compete in APRA Firearms Competition in which I share the comradeship of my fellow Competitors.

You may be aware the National Firearms Agreement Review is underway federally. It has been bought to my attention that the Minister for Police Jo-Anne Miller had refused to meet with the Ministerial Firearms Advisory Panel on the matter of the NFA review.

The Advisory Panel was set up by the Newman Government so Licensed Firearms Owners like me would have a voice in how Firearms Laws are formed and implemented in Queensland. You may be aware that on the 5th of November 2015 Minster Miller will be meeting with the other Police Ministers to decide which recommendations to agree to.

Minister Miller will be making decisions that will affect lawful Firearms owners in Queensland yet she has not consulted the Advisory Panel to find out what the implications of these proposals will be. She has gone to the Media and via a Statement from Her Office said she sees no reason to meet with the Panel because the NFA Review is almost over.

A few Days ago I was informed that Minister Miller had “at last” meet with some members of the Advisory Panel. This meeting was bought about by pressure from the 2 KAP Members. As you are aware Labor needed the support of the KAP to form Government.

I have been told the Meeting was not Productive. The Panel found Minister Miller defensive and condescending. She would not give a straight answer to simple questions. The Minister also said the advice given to her by the Queensland Police Service represents the views of Licensed Firearms Owners. I was also told the Minister Answered of why she did not reconvene the Advisory Panel by stating – Quote - “I’m not doing that because it was an LNP idea”

It seems to me that Minister Miller has forgotten she was elected to represent the People of Queensland and took an Oath to do so. Back in July the Abbot Government placed a 6 month Restriction on the Import of a legal under current Firearms Legislation Adler 7 Shot Lever Action Shotgun. This type of Shotgun has been in use for over 130 Years in this Country and most certainly cannot be considered “new Technology” as the Abbot Government has indicated. Subsequently the 5 Shot Adler Lever Action Shotguns has been allowed to be imported and sold.

+Late last Week Robert Borsak of the Shooters and Fishers Party released a Video Statement that the Federal Government is wants to reclassify all Lever Action Shotguns from Category A to Category C/D. He said that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull plans to hold the Police Ministers to Task to get his way. As the Federal Government wishes with this reclassification there will be no compensation. Further to this I have been made aware there are plans afoot to extend this to Lever Action Rifles.
I have a significant investment in my Lever Action Firearms. They are used to Hunt, Shoot Socially and Compete with. With a reclassification I would be required to apply for a Cat C/D License and if unsuccessful surrender them with no compensation. As soon as it is passed into Law all Lever Action Firearms value would plummet. Organized Lever Action Competition would end in this Country. Hundreds of thousands of Shooters, a great many of them Queenslanders would lose their previously Valuable Investment, totally without justification. As I don’t believe I could satisfy the requirements for a Cat C/D Firearm as they stand I would lose thousands! Lever Action Firearms are perfectly legal and legitimate under the current Firearms Legislation. They are not favoured by Criminals, they are favoured by Law Abiding Firearms Owners for Competition, Hunting and Collecting.

In recent weeks the Media has been publishing inflammatory, emotive and factually incorrect reports when talking of so called Rapid Fire Lever Action Firearms, even referring to them as Semi-Automatic which is plainly nonsense. Lever Action Firearms where developed in the mid-19th Century and the Mechanism is little changed since the late 19th Century This puts a mockery to the Government and Media claims of new Technology.

A popular Tactic with the Anti Firearms Lobby and many of today’s Politicians is to paint Lawful Firearms Owners as Rednecks, Criminals and Terrorists in waiting. We are all too often linked to the American Gun Culture, plainly ridiculous as we are a different Country with a different Culture, History and Laws. Some pathetic reports have attempted to link Hanan Monis horrific Actions at the Lindt Café Siege to Law Abiding Firearms Owners; this is offensive in the extreme! Law Abiding Firearms Owners are most likely the best behaved of Australia’s Citizens as we must pass Police Checks and keep our noses clean in order to be Licensed.

The proposal to reclassify Lever Action Firearms to Category C/D without compensation unnecessarily punishes Law Abiding Firearms Owners for the actions of Criminals. It is an over the top knee jerk reaction designed to look as though Politicians are doing something to make Society Safer by getting tough on Guns. I repeat it is punishing Law Abiding Firearms Owners for the Action of Criminals.

To Date I have been appalled by Police Minister Jo- Anne Millers conduct and the secretive actions of Prime Minister Malcom Turnbul. As the son of a strong Union Man I have never voted for the LNP and previously have voted Labor. In recent years my faith has been shaken and I cannot see Labor winning my Vote again if the Lever Action Reclassification is passed

Yours Perry Bruce Jackson
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

ron300wm

Re: My first letter to a MP

#2 Post by ron300wm » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:28 pm

That is a good strong letter . Keep the buggers honest :twisted:

MarkG

#3 Post by MarkG » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Hope it actually gets read by the minister and not by one of his staff who then just bins it.

DavidM

#4 Post by DavidM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:06 am

Excellent letter Perry!

perry

#5 Post by perry » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:55 am

thanks Folks, funny how you spot errors in the letter or think of a better phrase after it's done and dusted and not before you post it despite hours of preparation :roll:

I suspect it wont get past the Staffers but what else can we do. I wait with baited breath for a response, better not be a Form Letter, will Post it when/if it arrives As Hunters we are Vilified and Demonised in the Media and even Socially at every opportunity. I for one am so over the discrimination, lies and lack of respect for our Culture and Tradition constantly handed out by the Anti's.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

clinton miller

#6 Post by clinton miller » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:38 pm

well done perry.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string