JUST AS A

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Roadie

JUST AS A

#1 Post by Roadie » Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Matter of interest HOW many TRAD SHOOTS Held in QLD, NSW, and Vic /SA, Have a No DOG Policy, in All of the Shoots that I have attended From the NT across the Eastern Sea board, it has always been NO Dogs. Yes I know some people TRY and Push the boundries and I have seen some ugly incidents at some shoots regarding the dog issue. But how many actually allow the Dogs. I know ABA says no to Dogs, I have shot at AA venue's and seen no Dogs and the 3D AAA venues I have seen no Dogs. So apart of ABA, what are the Policies of the other said Organisations. Cheers Roadie.

excelpoint

Re: JUST AS A

#2 Post by excelpoint » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 am

Not sure about archery clubs but all the Clay Target clubs I used to shoot at allowed dogs ON LEAD. Could also have them in the stand with us. Was great way to get younger dogs steady to shot.

Scrub Bull

#3 Post by Scrub Bull » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 am

GLADSTONE BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED BY-LAWS

9.All domestic animals are prohibited on leased ground as directed by the G.A.W.A.B. The native habitat is to be protected at all times.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by kerry » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Scrub Bull wrote:GLADSTONE BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED BY-LAWS

9.All domestic animals are prohibited on leased ground as directed by the G.A.W.A.B. The native habitat is to be protected at all times.
Yeah, i'm with you there Scrubbie those pesky domestic chooks :animals-chickencatch: spoil it for everyone.
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

The Hunt

#5 Post by The Hunt » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

I accept the right for clubs to make the choice re a dog policy, I disagree with associations applying a blanket policy. My u der standing is the no dog policies only apply to,sanctioned events not special events such as Trad shoots.

We are considerate dog owners and follow whatever rules are there. If it on lead we do that if they say no access to communal areas such as food area that's what we follow. We exercise our dogs appropriately and our dogs are obedience trained. I know there will always be some that spoil it for others. Some people have small dogs that barely leave their vans other than for a wee. On that note we pick up after our dogs.

When I have taken dog/s I have always pre written/contacted to the club and sought permission. This weekend I was at a private property and the owner had dogs and encouraged us to let ours run freely with her dogs. Quite different and a treat may not have suited everyone but the land owners prerogative especially as she had 2 dogs. This doesn't mean you can just take your eye of the ball either. If that wasn't the case our dogs are rigorously exercised and then appropriately restrained.
I guess my point is some people will do the right thing and others may not maybe the policies should be about how to manage your dog and if they can't follow then not welcome???

like I said I object to the policy being enforced by associations, for example when I contacted 3DAAA questioning the associations policy on smoking It's got told that's up to individual clubs (BTW many sporting associations have smoking policies in place) if that is up to clubs why isn't the dog position.
To be honest I think the reckless regard for others with smoking at comps is a far bigger issue, especially in enclosed and communal spaces.

Anyway our situation is we would miss out on a lot of comps without being able to take them. We work hard with our dogs and communicate with clubs to get clear on the expectation up front. this year Barambah said no to dogs I know at least 4 other couple who did not go as a result, I thought outside the box and had permission from the neighbour to stay on their property and have proven to be responsible and have been invited back. Why punish all for the few that don't do the right thing. Have rules on how to manage the dogs in the grounds and ban those who can't follow the rules.