You know you're getting old and stupid when this happens ...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

You know you're getting old and stupid when this happens ...

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:50 pm

The other day I was checking out fleabay. It's something I often do when I'm a bit bored and can't think of anything I'd rather do. Anyway, I was checking out quivers. It can be interesting to see some of the more 'out there' designs. Usually they come from US based sellers, who might be trying to sell something a little different. It can be a good way to get some ideas for your own designs. As I was going through the different quivers I came across some nifty bow quivers called Thunderhorn Boa Small Fry. These are a 4 arrow job which would be nice and lightweight and having one on my bow would make carrying it a pleasant experience, or so I thought. It was AU$104 plus postage. Without a second thought I hit the 'buy now' button, as I've been focussing on improving my quivers lately. I can be very impulsive at times.

The next day I had this funny feeling of deja vu about the whole thing. I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I decided to go though all of my archery gear to see if I already had something like this quiver. Sure enough, there, in a box was a brand new Thunderhorn Boa Small Fry that I have never used. I'd forgotten all about it. It's exactly the same as the one I had just bought on fleabay. I suppose it stands to reason that if I like it years ago when I must have bought it, I would probably still like the design today. Now I've got two of 'em. :shock:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

matt61

Re: You know you're getting old and stupid when this happens

#2 Post by matt61 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:01 pm

One Thunderhorn Boa small fry quiver FOR SALE :biggrin:
Matt

Scrub Bull

#3 Post by Scrub Bull » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm

:text-blondmoment:
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 am

I'll be able to use the two bow quivers. These quivers are better suited for use with recurves, as the rubber mounting bracket is shaped to fit the thinner profile of a recurve limb. I read on the box, that the quiver is packed in, that you can cut off one side of where the bracket fits against the bow's limb to make it more suitable to use on longbows. So, I'll have one set up to use on my recurves and the other set up to use on my longbows. :idea:

I'm still kicking myself though. :oops:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Today I had a bright idea. I thought rather than just flinging arrows at the club's range for practice, I should actually score myself doing the 20 animal target course using ABA rules. By doing this, I thought I could monitor my progress, or lack of progress with my accuracy.

I found a blank piece of A4 paper and a short pencil, stuck them into my pocket, grabbed my archery gear and it was off to the range with a renewed vigour.

It was a beautiful day. I walked up to the first target, a deer at about 25 metres. I drew back and concentrated on the 'spot' and scored an okay 18. I wrote my score down and moved off to the second target, which was another deer at about 29 metres. My release wasn't the best and I managed only a 16. So, it was out with my piece of paper to write down my score, but where oh where was my pencil? I'd somehow lost it between the first and the second targets. I looked and looked, but I don't know where it went. So much for my great idea. :biggrin:

It was still a good day. A whole lot better than working, I can tell you. I lost track of my score completely, as I knew I would without it being written down. Next time, I'll take 2 pencils. :idea:

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:24 am

That is hilarious Mick.

I have done the very same thing. Not with quivers but with books .... has happened more than once.

Luckily most of my mates are readers with similar tastes so they usually get parked on the shelf for birthday presents.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"