Who bare shaft tunes their arrows?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Bare shaft tuning, yes or no???

I always bare tune my shafts. It crucial to good performance.
31%
I've dabbled a bit with it, but generally I don't bother.
28%
I don't know enough about it to even try doing it.
7%
If my arrows fly well enough, why bother with bare shaft turning?
34%

Total votes: 29

bstan86

Re: Who bare shaft tunes their arrows?

#61 Post by bstan86 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:04 pm

memo wrote:Hey Mick, how's things?
Mate, I've always been a "Whack some feathers on and she'll be right" type of shooter. Granted always used spined arrows near enough to what I thought I needed. Now I got a couple of new strings, and bought a new batch of the dreaded carbons, and proceeded to bare shaft them.
Now I have always put it in the "Too hard" basket, but I can honestly say that the results are very impressive. My groups are tighter and the arrows fly like darts. Safe to say, I'll be doing it from now on.
Give it a whirl, you've got nothing to lose except for a few hours,
Cheers.
Memo

A good example of someone who has eventually ended up trying it and realising it's worth and effectiveness Memo. :handgestures-thumbup:

Kendaric

#62 Post by Kendaric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

bstan86 wrote:
memo wrote:Hey Mick, how's things?
Mate, I've always been a "Whack some feathers on and she'll be right" type of shooter. Granted always used spined arrows near enough to what I thought I needed. Now I got a couple of new strings, and bought a new batch of the dreaded carbons, and proceeded to bare shaft them.
Now I have always put it in the "Too hard" basket, but I can honestly say that the results are very impressive. My groups are tighter and the arrows fly like darts. Safe to say, I'll be doing it from now on.
Give it a whirl, you've got nothing to lose except for a few hours,
Cheers.
Memo

A good example of someone who has eventually ended up trying it and realising it's worth and effectiveness Memo. :handgestures-thumbup:
That was because something was quite wrong in the first place. If the results were very impressive, then something was definitely very wrong in the first place, because an un-tuned setup (avoiding extremes here) is intrinsically as accurate as a tuned setup.

Over decades I have seen many a top end competition shooter turning their heads inside out trying to gain a few magical end points by continually mucking around with tune to little avail. They were striving for that little bit of extra forgiveness to give them an edge, also to little avail. They forget that it does not make your set-up more accurate, it only improves forgiveness, but if you are a top end shooter then you shouldn't really need it. What in reality they were doing was de-tuning the bow set-up some, to suit their minor error in form. There was a fad some 15 years or more back, where people where charging quite a fee to do this for others. Some of the end results were ridiculous. If you are an average shooter, this ultra tune forgiveness isn't going to help much either, because you are not consistant enough shooter to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I have tried it off and on for over 30 years, but the end result was no different, as I was still just as accurate, with clean arrow flight, and I was within ball-park of the charts. Using fletches is real world conditions.

But if it works for you, go for it. It is good for your confidence, and allows you to put certain concerns to rest. For some I would imagine, this is a practical hands on solution, and more real to them.

The Stu Miller spine calculator on 3Rivers website is a real beaut. But you have to be honest with yourself with regards your actual draw length and actual bows weight (not just what is printed on the limb). With any calculations, garbage in, garbage out.

bstan86

#63 Post by bstan86 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Kendaric wrote: Don't get me wrong, I have tried it off and on for over 30 years, but the end result was no different, as I was still just as accurate, with clean arrow flight, and I was within ball-park of the charts, and using fletches is real world conditions.

But if it works for you, go for it. It is good for your confidence, and allows you to put certain concerns to rest.
It seems quite likely that over the decades of your experience, you've gotten very good at choosing the correct spine through shear experience. Makes sense. :handgestures-thumbup:

And absolutely - confidence is so important in archery - both for our tackle and ability. Bareshafting helps add to mine and as you say - puts my concern for arrow setup to rest. Definately helps me focus more on the shooting side of things - a valuable supplement to the whole thing for me. :handgestures-thumbup:

Kendaric

#64 Post by Kendaric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:10 pm

I was actual going to delete that post, and the previous, as I realised I had repeated myself from months ago. But you beat me to the last posting lol.

GrahameA

#65 Post by GrahameA » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 am

Morning.
Kendaric wrote:... forgiveness ...
IMO People talk about 'forgiveness'. The 'tech' in me immediately asks the question what is 'forgiveness' and how do you measure it?

WRT Changes, Tuning, etc. If you are tuning a Bow/Arrow combination how many arrows do you need to shoot to confirm that the change is either better or worse? It becomes an exercise in Statistics.

In a more ideal world testing would be done by a machine to minimise variations induced by the archer. However most people only have access to an archer for testing do they do the best they can.

IMO None of this stuff is as simple as it seems and the biggest variable is the archer.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Parrbd

#66 Post by Parrbd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Here is an interesting youtube with slow mo demonstrating how technique may affect spine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDn7bb-OBPY