Traditional Archery Australia

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Traditional Archery Australia

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:36 pm

I know we have a few active members of TAA here on Ozbow. I'm a financial member of TAA myself.

I've just been looking at the TAA website, as well as the TAA Facebook page and I'm a little puzzled about exactly what TAA is all about. On the website it says, "Promoting Traditional Archery in Australia", but it doesn't say much else about what the TAA has in store for it's members in the future. Perhaps I missed that page or something.

I haven't bothered with trying to use TAA's Facebook page, as anything said there ends up stuck over in the left hand margins of the page in small print and then magically (conveniently?) disappears after 3 or so posts. It just doesn't seem to work as it should, IMO.

I realise that TAA have made some significant gains in having traditional archery recognised as a legitimate branch of archery by the other mainstream national archery organisations.

Does TAA have a detailed agenda and/or long term goals? If so, would it be possible to share it with all of the TAA members? I know the membership is only a lousy $5 and I don't expect a lot, but it would be nice to have some answers.

I'm not trying to bag TAA here. I'm genuinely curious. :smile:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

Re: Traditional Archery Australia

#2 Post by little arrows » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Mick,

As the website says TAA is to Promote Traditional Archery. I use the site to update the Events calendar to provide information to all Trad archers as the where and when events are on - also on Ozbow, and my own site.
As far as the Facebook page - I have only just been advised I will be getting control of it and will have to learn very quickly even how to use it - so if you could be a little patient I would appreciate that.
TAA gives us a voice when changes are being/to be made to Rulings or even Legislation - some were keyed to set in place with the "possible legislation change/licencing to compounds" which came about middle of last year.
Is there something in particular are you after? I believe $5 is a good investment to give Traditional Archery a voice with the archery associations.

cheers
sue
PR for TAA

spelling corrected with edit

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Sue.

Thanks for the response. I suppose my OP all boils down to the fact that I haven't heard much about what TAA was up to. It's good to hear that TAA was involved in the proposed/possible change of legislation regarding compound bows in Queensland. Was TAA worried that the proposal might extend to traditional bows as well?

I'm fully aware and I also fully appreciate what you do personally to promote trad shoots. I just didn't realise that you did this as a part of your official position within TAA. You do a great job and we should all be thankful for it. You have promoted traditional archery and you have done for many years, even before this latest version of TAA was formed.

I thought there must be something very wrong with that Facebook page. Hopefully you will get to the bottom of it and get it fixed up.

You asked me, ''what in particular am I after". I was hoping to get some sort of a running report on how TAA is going and what has been happening recently. It's good to communicate with members, IMO. To say TAA is about promoting traditional archery is fine, but it doesn't really mean anything unless we're told how it's being implemented.

Seeing as how the TAA website and Facebook page seem a bit limiting when it comes to the transferring of information to its members, I was thinking that perhaps a forum could be provided to TAA for their exclusive use, here on Ozbow. Many Ozbow members don't go onto Facebook. I didn't until very recently myself.

I realise it's probably not intentional, but TAA seems to be shrouded in secrecy to most of its members. Very little in the way of information has been forthcoming, as far as I can see. It shouldn't be that way if the association intends to be a force in traditional archery into the future. I believe the members want more.

I might sound a bit harsh on TAA, but that's not my intention at all. I want to see it succeed and I want it to go from strength to strength. I just think TAA's lack of communication to its membership is cause for concern.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Mick,

I guess I just do what I do to promote Trad and have done, as you say, for many years, and TAA is just another source for the promotion of the sport. I have sent a copy of this post to the other committee members, so perhaps they will comment on here as well. There often isn't a terrible lot, however we all keep ourselves informed, as most people do, of possible changes that are happening.
I have had a look at the TAA website and am not able to locate any forum type options, perhaps just a TAA update thread here on ozbow would suffice so if changes are a foot it could be mentioned, I do not believe it would be a problem, however when the new owners are announced, I shall see if that is an option we (TAA) can take.
Members can also contact their state reps if they would like something added to a meeting agenda. The next meeting will be at the Wisemans Ferry Trad shoot - I guess that sort of information would at least be helpful.

cheers
sue

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#5 Post by Outbackdad » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 am

I would also like to see more information.

Eddie

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks Sue.

I was talking to a few people, as you do, at the Ballarat shoot recently. From what I could tell, the general consensus of opinion was that there didn't seem to be any activity from TAA at all. The subject wasn't started by me, as I recall, but it got me thinking that perhaps there was activity, but the feedback to the membership regarding that activity just wasn't happening.

I know the membership is just $5 per annum and we don't really expect a lot for that, but the committee of TAA have put themselves in a situation where they will represent traditional archers and most members feel that we should get some feedback from time to time, otherwise membership seems pointless.

A monthly newsletter would cost too much, but a regular post on a forum site such as Ozbow would be free. All it would take would be the commitment to make it happen. I think feedback such as this, would go a long way towards stopping the negativity that's currently generating in the rank and file membership of TAA.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:35 am

x.jpg
x.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Ay Greybeard, love your input, it says it All, we think a like. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#9 Post by perry » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:40 pm

The Dodo was Hunted to extinction, the World would be richer if it had not have been !

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Mick,

I am not a member of TAA so consequently some may be upset because I dare to make comment.

Read their mission statement; “Developing the Profile of Traditional Archery in all Forms” Who We Are!

Does anyone know what TAA achievements [Developing the Profile] big or small were in 2013/2014?

In all seriousness what can TAA offer in addition to the benefits offered by the existing associations?

We already have established clubs that work together to promote and hold excellent traditional shoots throughout the year.

Have they or are they considering drafting a set of uniform ‘Traditional’ guidelines for shoots and equipment or are they going to leave it up to the individual clubs to use various existing rules?

Perhaps TAA need to focus on raising their profile.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:46 pm

perry wrote:The Dodo was Hunted to extinction, the World would be richer if it had not have been !

regards Jacko
Lets not forget the introduced species [predators] to the island.

http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/ext_dodobird.htm

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Roadie

#12 Post by Roadie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:07 pm

For me TAA is a group of Like Minded People who enjoy shooting Trad Archery, as stated we are not a Controlling Body like ABA Etc, just Archers with the same Ideals. Information is passed on and shared to people who are interested in our pursuits. If people are not happy with TAA, they have several options open to them. And you don't have to be a Brain Surgeon to work out what they are.
I am more than Happy to stand aside and let someone else take over and then they can show me where I have failed in the promotion of TAA. Yours in Trad Archery. Cheers Roadie.

little arrows

#13 Post by little arrows » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 pm

We are all looking forward to the 3 new Traditional Only (2 ABA clubs, 1 3DAAA club) events that are on the calendar for 2015. There is also 2 Private shoots coming up in 2015 which I am currently assisting with.
I have templates for the shoot score cards which were used by 3 of the existing clubs holding the shoots last year, and without the shoots all becoming "the same", plus I have a programme to assist in the scoring of these shoots, for those clubs that are starting out afresh in the Trad tournaments, which they are all finding very helpful.
There are event ideas as well, so when new clubs contact me for possible shoot dates I am able to assist them with the ideas, the scorecard and scoring etc (which of course isn't required by the clubs that are already currently holding Trad shoots successfully).
It should also be noted there are quite a few people who are members of TAA who were "independents" and not with the other associations, so that is good thing.
As a member of TAA you are more than welcome of make suggestions to the TAA representative to be mentioned to the committee or even tabled as a meeting agenda. There is a list of the committee members on the TAA home page.

cheers
sue

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:18 pm

If only the rest of the TAA team were as committed and as active as you are Sue (and to a lesser extent what Grant is), then maybe they wouldn't be experiencing the growing discontent that's obviously so prevalent within the membership. Maybe the discontent isn't as widespread as I think, but nearly everyone I have spoken to, says the same sorts of things, "What are they actually doing?", or "What are their goals?", or even worse, "Do they still exist?"

I believe that if things just keep going they way they have been, TAA will just fizzle out again and I don't want to see that happen.

Roadie

#15 Post by Roadie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Just What do you Want the TAA to do. It is not a governing Body, just a group of Like minded people involved in Trad Archery. I speak to a lot of Folks as I travel around to Archery Comps and Festivals, we are just one Big Family. Last May when I needed Help when Heather shattered her hip, the TRAD Archers of the Nanango and Toowwomba Clubs, most of them members of TAA (100 %) were there to Help. Members in NSW also offered help to us if it was needed.
Mick if you are not Happy with TAA, you have several options open to you. Why don't you get yourself onto the committee, New Blood is always welcome. Then some of Us can take a back seat and relax. The next meeting is at Wiseman Ferry Shoot in March. Come and Put your hand Up. Cheers Roadie.

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Grant, I don't expect a lot from TAA. I've said that from the start. The fact of the matter is this, TAA charge for membership, as well as making a profit from selling items. I know it doesn't add up to a lot of money, but where does it go? It is probably spent very well, but members don't know because they don't get any information back from TAA. I don't know how to present my thoughts and conclusions on this matter any clearer. I don't want to go on the committee, as I suspect it would drive me to drink trying to make something happen at TAA.

I know the trad shooters of Australia are like a big family. They were like that before TAA and they will still be like that after TAA has ceased to exist. If TAA doesn't have a detailed agenda, or goals, then what actually is the point of it? Just saying it's for promoting traditional archery just doesn't cut it for me.

I fully believe that if TAA continues down its current path, it will quickly become completely irrelevant to the vast majority of trad shooters in this country. You may believe TAA is doing everything 100% correctly. If that's the case, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and you're right.

nuts1

#17 Post by nuts1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Traditional Archery Australia, was first set up in 2005 by a group of dedicated archers. Their goal was to set up a network of communication between Trad Archers, after somewhat achieving this TAA seemed to slowly peter out.
From the records the membership had reached 97.
Late in 2013 a small group of Archers, Field Archers and Bowhunters got together and decided to try and rekindle TAA. Early 2014 we formed a committee of well known Traditional Archers, we adopted the original preamble of Developing the profile of traditional archery, which we later changed to “Promoting the profile of Traditional Archery”.
Our aims have changed a little from the original goals to that of promotion and recognition, not only of the sport and lifestyle we all love but also the promotion of our own, Archers, Bowyers, Fletchers, Leather workers, Broadhead makers and Target makers who are as good as any in the world.
Our achievements in the first 12 months of the rekindled TAA are the creation of a national committee, with state reps in all of our states.
We are now an incorporated body, which means we are governed by our members.
In 2014 we put 3 of our well known Trad archers in to receive the national medal at the Australian Archery Hall of Fame. We also hope to have 1or 2 inducted into the next Hall of Fame intake.
We applied for recognition in the form of a seat on the Archery Alliance of Australia and we now have that seat and also recognition with our badge now on the front cover of Archery Action magazine.
We have a good working relationship with all 3 governing bodies.
The committee has been and are still working for our members with unseen projects.
Our membership has now passed 300 and still growing.
The next meeting will be our AGM. At Wisemans Ferry in March this year where all positions will become vacant.

Keith Speight
President TAA

Mick Smith

#18 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks for that Keith.

little arrows

#19 Post by little arrows » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 pm

I will also be putting meeting minutes in bullet point form, plus other notes of interest as it becomes available on the TAA and other websites, to keep people informed.

cheers
sue

Roadie

#20 Post by Roadie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 pm

See so now you All know. Roadie

stickshooter

#21 Post by stickshooter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:23 pm

as an outsider looking in it seems that TAA are starting to do good things & as we all know that communication is as always the key

Ian Turner

#22 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Achieving a seat with Archery Alliance along side ABA and 3DAAA is a big step in having trad archery and trad archers considered when the main bodies are setting up their comps, shoots etc so when they are setting up their comps and ranges hopefully they are thinking AH YES we had better include trad pegs in our comp as those people do exist!
Australia and the archery movement need to know there are those other than compound shooters and olympic target shooters involved in the sport and to that end TAA is indeed an important body.
Trad archery is a great way for people to enter the sport particularly for those that cant afford the aformentioned compounds and olmpic recurves and the expense that comes with all the necessary do dads and expensive arrows.
Promoting of our Australia crafts people ie bowyers etc is also a very necessary and important function.
My opinion anyway.
Cheers
Ian

BowmanBjorn

#23 Post by BowmanBjorn » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 pm

As a young and new trad shooter, I was searching for a body to be a part of and I stumbled across TAA.
(I may add it was by a chance and nearly impossible to find)

I met up with my local area rep in FNQ and signed up. Not really knowing what TAA was or what they did but wanting to help be a part of something. (And what the hell $5 it's less than a beer!)

I then joined ABA so that I could shoot at the local events thought FNQ and met a fantastic group of archers and a unique and close group of trad archers.

Unfortunatly amongst 90% of these people TAA was either unknown or shrugged off as a failure (most of these older shooters having been members of the original TAA)

So I can understand the concerns being raised in this thread and like wise the defencive nature of the members that are working within TAA. I guess the weekness is the lack of communication to the members ( a quick monthly email update or better yet a section here on Ozbow would be a fantastic and cheap fix to this)

If the web page could have clearer aims for TAA and how people could get involved to work with TAA that would be great.

Regards

Bjorn
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"