Bugger no. 2

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

Bugger no. 2

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:04 pm

was going to call into Lazarides to get timber while I was down this way,checked their web site just before I left my Mums in Caboolture to go there and see they have downsized and only sell big packs of timber,no small amounts,The site says carbitec had bought timber off them so I went there and they didn't have any timber there worth getting........... :roll: :cry:

bigbob

Re: Bugger no. 2

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:24 am

I am a bit concerned myself Rod as to where to obtain timber stocks now. I know Trend timbers in NSW has exotics etc, but who wants to buy timber sight unseen.I always hand picked my pieces form Lazarides.I do have quite a bit of stock in some timber but very little in say, Wenge or Bubinga etc.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

The Ranger

#3 Post by The Ranger » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:51 am

It is hard to find a good timber stockist in your area. Bugger about yours downsizing Rod. I'm lucky enough to have Monaro Timbers only about 1 hour away from where I live.
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Carbatec,said to try Watts wood in Salisbury,so i went and had a look and the swines were shut,i'll have to ring first next time :roll:

dan76

#5 Post by dan76 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Bugger alright, i don't really want to get all my timber from the US, did they say why?

Dan

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:47 pm

I think the boss fella was retiring and they must have decided to simplify their operations so got rid of all the cabinet timbers. Most of their stock was supposed to go to Bootles in townsville. their might be some options in Brisbane, but i have yet to check them out.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#7 Post by little arrows » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm

then fellas I can only suggest - the annual pilgrimage to the Wisemans Ferry Trad shoot, get there a couple of days before spend a day over at Trend (which is less than an 1 hour from Robs, no traffic, loverly scenic drive) and the bonus of lots of pretty good exotic timber galore at the other end, just like we do. :biggrin: Ask Mr K next time you see him.

cheers
sue

hunterguy1991

#8 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey Rod,

Watts Woods have a ton of excellent timbers!! Check their internet site for a list of everything they have in stock. I picked up some from there recently and his prices are really good from what I've seen.

Will be heading back soon to get some more. They open again on the 5th if I remember correctly...

What was it that you're wanting to get?

Colin

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks Colin,i wasnt chasing anything in paticular,if i see something i like i get it ......i'll have a look on thier site now... :wink:....do they have a big supply of timber for me to dribble over?

hunterguy1991

#10 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:01 am

Hey Rod,

They have some good stuff for the English style longbows and Warbows I'm making at the moment (cherry, American ash, hickory, maple) but a lot of the wood they have could be used in risers on glass lam bows. There is some stuff in the list I've never heard of before...

Definitely worth a look on the site to see if they have something that spikes your interest.

Colin

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks. :wink: