Removing arrows from trees???

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Removing arrows from trees???

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm

I have noticed that it's quite common for other people to end up with an arrow or two imbedded into trees during the course of a trad shoot. I have also noticed that a lot of trad shooters carry a very nice sheath knife while they shoot. I have also noticed that many shooters are reluctant to use their beautiful knives to dig their arrow out of the tree, fearing they may damage it.

What's the solution? What do you do? What is the best implement to use for this purpose?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Gringa Bows

Re: Removing arrows from trees???

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:51 pm

i just dont put arras in trees Mick :mrgreen:

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Me neither Rod, this thread is for the people who do. :roll:

If by chance one of my arrows mysteriously did manage to connect with a tree, I might use my knife to dig it out, but I've been thinking there might be better tools for the job. A tool that's nice and light to carry and one that can't easily be damaged. It might be handy to be able to offer this tool to the other unfortunate shooters in their time of need.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Understood mate,i have seen other blokes dig theyre arrows out with their pocket knives on the odd occasion tho :lol:

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:33 pm

I've heard that some very inept people carry one of these ....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gardening-To ... 2a3e398eb9

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Or, I'd like to own one of these. They would do the job, but of course, I would use mine for the sorts of jobs for which they're intended.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hultafors-Cl ... 1432585913

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:53 pm

If you were an extremely poor shot and had lots of money, you might buy one of these ...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boker-Plus-C ... 3cd4424322

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:07 pm

or you could use the pliers on a Leatherman knife - if per chance a sapling just happened to cross the arrows path on the way to the target :biggrin: lovely shot that. :smile:

cheers
sue

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Don't know about others but I have been known to use an axe to retrieve some recalcitrant arrows at times. Chastised those arrows severely and they promised to stay on the straight and narrow.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Like Sue said, I always carry a leatherman, can't go wrong, also a small Axe, a chain saw also if shooting in Rain forests, Iv'e never had to use one , BUT have shot with folks that needed one. Cheers Roadie.

Axefanatic

#11 Post by Axefanatic » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 pm

I'm open about hitting the odd trunk, branch, whatever whilst out on the field course.

I carry a decent lock blade folder and a multitool for the occasion.

However, since I switched to wood shafting, they seem to just require some reassembly after the fact. :lol:

Reminds me, I need to make a few footed shafts. My arras seem to have shrunk a little on what used to be the pointy end!
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

perry

#12 Post by perry » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:15 am

Simple as, use the Saw from your Mulitool to put a cut above and below the Arrow, out it comes. Truth is shooting a 45# Selfbow and with my Arrows having relatively blunt Points that I've recycled from other Archers throw away Arrows [ I'm tight = note don't leave your Fletching behind either ] from numerous Rock Impacts they generally bounce right on back to me and I get another shot :biggrin:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Jim

#13 Post by Jim » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:50 am

Mick Smith wrote:I have also noticed that many shooters are reluctant to use their beautiful knives to dig their arrow out of the tree, fearing they may damage it.
That's a bit like not wanting to shoot your beautiful new arrows in case they get damaged...

I have found a little folding knife or multi-tool to be perfectly up to the task though. The trick, like others have said is to cut the wood around the head, rather than try and dig it out like a splinter out of your hand.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am

I usually carry one of these around. They're not a particularly expensive knife, but they're well made and most importantly, they're strong. The blade shape makes for a strong tip, which is ideal for prizing out pieces of wood from around the imbedded point. It has solid stainless steel bolsters which adds to its strength. It holds a very good edge too.

http://www.buckknives.com/product/duke-knife/0500RWS-B/

Muz1970

#15 Post by Muz1970 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:31 am

Just a word of caution when retrieving your arrows, in particular your razor sharp hunting arrows.

Back in 1999 I shot a Billy with my 80lb compound and the arrow went straight through him and into a tree. I used my leatherman saw and cut away off to one side of the broadhead. With one hand grasping the branch and the other one working the arrow I managed to get it out. When it did let go it sliced right across my thumb between the two knuckles cutting to the bone. In doing so I had managed to cut cleanly through two tendons and ended up in Royal Perth Hospital that night under general anaesthetic getting micro surgery. I was off work for a month while I regained mobility.

These days if my broadhead ends up in a tree and its stuck firm, it can stay there.

Dragged this photo from my album

Muz

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 am

the nock end bites too,i was pulling an arrow out of my pailing fence ,it was stuck there pretty hard but when it let go i ripped it back into my leg,it went in on an angle it went in past the nock, vains and all wierd thing is there was no pain but still scarey :biggrin:

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

I can agree with that Rod, my lower legs are covered in scars from nock ends. Something about old dogs and new tricks I suppose.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Ian Turner

#18 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Sue,
A lot of French Tapestries going on here!
Cheers
IAN