SURGERY AGAIN

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Roadie

SURGERY AGAIN

#1 Post by Roadie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Well here we Go again, as quite a Few of you know I had quite a Large Melanoma removed a couple of weeks ago, which gave me a bit of trouble, mainly because I didn't listen to the Dr. family and Friends. Last Friday I was given the All clear with this one. BUT
Tomorrow I have an oppointment with the Surgeon, this time I will lose my Middle Finger ( Amputated) and possibly the top of my Ring Finger on my Right Hand. The reason for this is the middle finger is so distorted and diseased by Arthritis it's not funny, am in constant pain, the little finger is Bad, bends violently to the right, but is OK, the middle finger is swollen and goes right at first knuckle then turns left at second knuckle, the ring finger is also over the place and they may be able to scrape and straighten it, if not they will have to take it of at the Top Knuckle.
So hopefully All goes well. So now I will have to try and find a new way of shooting or a Medieval Release Aid, If there is such a Beast, or learn to shoot the ELB with a thumb Ring. Or learn to shoot one and a half fingers under. Cheers All, Roadie.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: SURGERY AGAIN

#2 Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi Grant,

I hope all goes well for you with the surgery and you have a successful recovery.

Perhaps you may have to become a leftie with the bow and arrow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 pm

All the best with the surgery Grant. We hope you have a speedy recovery and please do what the doctors say this time. :biggrin:

Jeff & Jude

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Hope all goes well my friend,they cant keep a good man down ,so you'll get around it somehow :wink:

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Good luck mate and all the best!
Cheers

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Roadie my thoughts are with you and sure hope all goes well. A week or so ago I shot at a comp. in Toowoomba and a young guy in my group only had one hand but he shot a longbow very well. His bow hand had no fingers and his arm guard actually wrapped around the riser and clipped back on its self effectively strapping the riser to his arm. As i mentioned unless one noticed one would not have even suspected his disability. Hope for you yet.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery Grant.

The only medieval release aid that I know of is a thumb ring. They were used more with Asian 'horsebows', but there's no reason why you couldn't use one with a longbow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Roadie,

Glad to hear your back is on the mend, and I'll keep my fingers crossed ( :biggrin: sorry, someone had to say it :smile: ) all goes well for you Grant.
There are heaps of options for down the track, you can, as suggested go left handed, a thumb ring, a much lighter poundage which wouldn't punish the rest of your bod with 1 and a half fingers under. You shall endure and adapt, as the surgery is definitely for the best.

For Goodness Sake - would you PLEASE take someone's advise this time around. :smile:

Our thoughts are with you both.

sue and steve

temudjin

#9 Post by temudjin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:24 am

Hey Roadie,

sorry to hear you are in pain and need surgery - hopefully all goes well and you'll be on the mend soon.

As a number of people here have said there are options and you can't keep a good man down so I'm sure you'll find a solution that works for you.

I hope to see you at many trad shoots yet even if you have to throw the arrows at the target :lol: - I'm sure you'll find a way.

very best regards to you and Heather and have a great Chrissie.

Tom

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have just had a phone call from Roadie. The surgery went well, they only took his middle finger, and left the ring finger in tact, and he is now on his way home. He may be able to put a post on here later, I thought I would let you all know, just in case his typing isn't quite legible. :smile:

Take care and heal well Roadie.

cheers
sue

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 pm

I hope you're not a touch typer Roadie. Get well soon cobber!!! You've got lots of trad shoots to get to and one to organise. :smile:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bigbob

#12 Post by bigbob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Very glad to hear they left you something to work with Grant. Best news I've had in a while.
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Glad all went as well as it could mate. Heal well!!!

Jeff

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:47 am

Morning All, Thanks for that Sue, Was feeling great when I spoke to you, still High on the anaesthetic they had put into me. 12hrs later not so great, every thing is wearing off. What a learning curve this morning, trying to clean teeth, and drink coffee, with a missing middle finger and a heavily bandaged hand. Pain is bad, so must go in and take some more pain medication. Thanks to all for your Kind words & thoughts, and Yes I am doing as am told, because of the Medication I can't drive for a while, will be annoying Heather to take me here and there. Cheers Roadie.

AndyF

#15 Post by AndyF » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Roadie,

Sorry to hear about your surgery, but glad to see you're back out and on the mend mate. Been in the wars a little myself just recently, but still have all my digits.

Look forward to seeing you at Wiseman's with any luck. Rather than trying out some medieval trigger release or thumb ring, why not switch to left handed? Theoretically, it's fairly straightforward with and ELB. And all you'll need is a new tab. Technically, I'm right handed, but I learned to shoot left handed when I started so that's what I've always shot and it seems normal.

Talk soon.

Andy

rodlonq

#16 Post by rodlonq » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:33 am

I hope your recovery is going well Grant and you are getting the pain under control.

Your's is the perfect case for a good reason to use a mechanical release wrist strap thingy. I hope you feel we'll enough to get back to your bows soon mate.

Cheers... Rod

stickshooter

#17 Post by stickshooter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:03 am

hi Roadie hope your recovery all goes well mate

Roadie

#18 Post by Roadie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Saw the Surgeon this morning, Had the plaster cast and bandages removed and wound redressed. The stiches will be taken out next Tuesday, All is OK and looking great. Out in the Shed experimenting with Silicone and ballistic gell, a rubber glove making up some fingers to use with a leather glove. So when I fit the glove to my hand it will feel like I have 3 fingers. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#19 Post by bigbob » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:39 pm

I am sure you will find a way to make the best of your lot Roadie. Hard to keep a good man down :wink:
razorbows.com