John Strunk Longbow.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

John Strunk Longbow.

#1 Post by greybeard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:58 pm

I have been asked to make a replacement string for a John Strunk ‘The Spirit’ longbow but unfortunately the owner does not have the original string for the bow.

Searching the internet for the recommended brace height did not yield any results.

Details of the bow are as follows; 65 5/8’ n to n and 63# @ 28”. Limb markings include 7 - 86 – 1 LB

The core is made up of four tapered laminations which appear to be yew and are under black glass.

It has a deep limb cross section and is heavily trapezoid to the belly. Additionally the bow appears to be whip tillered.

As a rule with laminated bows I run a brace height around 10% to 11% of the n to n length.

Any suggestions so that hopefully I get it right first time around.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: John Strunk Longbow.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:50 pm

I would go for approx 6 1/8" for that style bow Daryl.

Jeff

Ronster

#3 Post by Ronster » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Myself, I would go higher brace height to start and lower until the harmonics sing.

Sounds daft, but the string will be quieter at correct brace height, and be sweet like a well tuned guitar string.

It may well be different slightly, even for bows that are the same.

Try it and see,

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Jeff and Ron,

Thank you for your replies.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....