Third week, third question

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

littlejohn59

Third week, third question

#1 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:29 am

Do you shoot Mediterranean or three fingers Under and Why?

Do you shoot with a glove,tab or bare fingers and why?

stickshooter

Re: Third week, third question

#2 Post by stickshooter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:04 am

I shoot 3 under as it brings the arrow closer to my eye & feels more natural.
It works well out to 35 yards which is my point on.
As I'm a hunter & don't do long distance target shooting so this works fine for me.
I did have a go at going back to Split finger but after a couple of weeks could not get it back to feeling as natural as 3 under.
I also use leather tabs that I cut out myself.
Shooting gloves I don't like as they bind my fingers(i don't use a armguard either for the same reason).
I do shoot recurves mostly.

CraigH

#3 Post by CraigH » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:39 am

If I know I will be hunting in thicker scrub, I generally take the longbow and shoot split and a glove. This allows me for a relatively quicker shot with the glove at closer ranges.

For field shooting, 3D, I prefer 3 under with the recurve and a tab. I think the tab gives me a slightly cleaner release. The 3 under is handy for gap shooting and helps me for longer distance targets.

I do swap and change a bit though.

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:35 am

Started shooting split fingers about 40 years ago and can't seem to deal with anything else :roll:. I have tried 3 under to see if it improved my accuracy but I am too impatient to make it work. Also I feel split fingers gives more control over the arrow. Every time I draw with 3 under I worry do much about the nock falling off the string, the rest of the shot goes south.

I use a glove when at club events or practice, but I feel the glove exaggerates plucking the string when it happens. I never use a glove when hunting. The bare fingers release always feels cleaner. I alway add a few practice shots without a glove to make sure it's not foreign when the time comes.

Good question LittleJohn, looking forward to reading the rest of the crew have to say.

Cheers.... Rod

Kendaric

#5 Post by Kendaric » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:52 am

Last edited by Kendaric on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Split finger and tab for me.

I learned to shoot with split fingers around 45 years ago and I've been shooting that way pretty much ever since. I did experiment with using 3 under fairly recently and I found that I could shoot some very tight groups at 20 metres, however I find that I can achieve more consistent results at various distances with a split finger release, so I reverted back to it. It just feels more natural.

Likewise with using a tab. I've been using them for many years. I have owned gloves, but I have always preferred using tabs and the reason is simple. I can feel the nock between my bare fingers with a tab, whereas I can't with a glove. In comparison to a tab, using a glove feels like I have an unnecessary insulating layer on my fingers. Tabs are also cooler to wear on hot days.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

DavidM

#7 Post by DavidM » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Three under for me Ian

I use to shoot split but when shooting gap we were talking about a maximum gap in yards not inches, with the arrow not even in the secondary vision. When I changed it brought my point on from something like 60 yards down to 45. Three under is a definite advantage with gapping for me.

And now as a string walker three under is mandatory :wink:

BowmanBjorn

#8 Post by BowmanBjorn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 am

3 under and glove

Tried shooting split first when I was a kid.
Tried 3 under 6months ago and it felt much more natural and the arrow appears to follow my eye better .

Glove over tab feels more secure to me, but I agree it does make plucking more severe.

Any body tried a thumb release with a longbow or recurve?
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:34 am

started out 35 plus years ago shooting 3 under and 'gun barreling' ie looking straight down the shaft with an anchor point at the base of the nose. In them days shot with bare fingers only. even shot an 80# longbow bare fingers ---- left me with numb fingers tips for 3 months! Lucky to avoid permanent damage. These days shoot split, and 2 layer tab. Any more layers in the tab and I cant get the right 'feel' to the string.Thought I was purely 'instinctive' read Controversy!!! --- but guess I practice some sort of intuitive 'gap' shooting.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Mediterranean release as it gives me better control especially when bowhunting.

I use a Deer skin glove as again I find it gives a better feel and control in hunting situations.

Jeff

woodie

#11 Post by woodie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Mostly 3 under, if I am shooting my long bows and recurves but selfbows and my horse bow I will shoot split fingered. That is how I learnt to shoot.
I use a glove as I all was have done.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

AndyF

#12 Post by AndyF » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 am

Split finger and tab. Mainly because I started in target and the rules used to require split finger. I use a tab because that's what I started with and feel most comfortable with - and I like the heavy KSL Gold brass tabs with a finger spacer and a palm plate these days. I try to use a glove on the novelty rounds etc as it seems it would logically be quicker on the speed stuff, but with fumbling performances to date, I'm not sure it is. Gloves generally feel clumsy to me for some reason, which is ironic considering the chunky, restrictive nature of the tab I like. Everyone to their own.

littlejohn59

#13 Post by littlejohn59 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 pm

I shoot Mediterranean (split fingers) as that is how i began and shooting 3 fingers under feels uncomfortable to me.
I shoot with a deer skin glove otherwise my fingers hurt :oops: (53 pound bow). The glove needs to be thick enough to protect my fingers but still thin enough so as to feel the string.

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:15 am

Hi Andy.
AndyF wrote:... and I like the heavy KSL Gold brass tabs with a finger spacer and a palm plate these days. ...
Now there is an interesting response/answer.

It would an interesting exercise to see the percentage of people who have used/inspected the KSL tabs or some of the other none-mainstream/different tabs that are around.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

AndyF

#15 Post by AndyF » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:21 am

I used the Soma Saker tabs for a while too. Same principle as the KSL Gold tabs but lighter. They also come with an additional 'pinky hook' for your little finger which I tried for a while. Rod Jenkins uses one in Masters of the Barebow 3 I think.

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:27 am

Hi Andy.
AndyF wrote:I used the Soma Saker tabs for a while too. Same principle as the KSL Gold tabs but lighter. They also come with an additional 'pinky hook' for your little finger which I tried for a while. Rod Jenkins uses one in Masters of the Barebow 3 I think.
I use a Soma and have removed the little finger hook. My tab of choice, at the moment, for target.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Kendaric

#17 Post by Kendaric » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Tab and Mediterranean (split finger). I tend to think that Mediterranean is also safer.

littlejohn59

#18 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:08 pm

You were right rodlong, there were some interesting answers amongst the replies.

What i found of interest was how some archers change their style of shooting( Fingers, glove tab,3 under) depending whether hunting or competing.

It would appear people have their own personal preferences to shooting and that revolves more around to how comfortable they feel.

Thanks for those contributing.

The Hunt

#19 Post by The Hunt » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:09 pm

From the first time I turned up to the club for a come and try day I have shot 3 under . I tried spit but it felt too awkward. 3 fingers felt natural to me so I went with it. I did shoot with a tab just your simple rubber style, I tried calf blah blah but didn't like anything then 12 months ago I tried a glove and haven't looked back I left it at home one day and had to shoot with a tab but it felt all wrong. Now I need to buy a second glove to start to break in as a back up.