Thoughtful article on firearms

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

ozlongbow

Thoughtful article on firearms

#1 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:07 am

Hey all
Just read what I thought was a well written and reasoned article by an American journalist/researcher on firearms and how the media deals with them. As a journalist I was really impressed with it and as someone who isn't afraid of guns - even tho I don't own any - I agree with her sentiments. I've found a similar attitude to hunting in this country. Hope you all get something out of it too. Go to the site so you can take the lil quiz ...
address is:

http://poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=71171

Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Al Kidner

#2 Post by Al Kidner » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:36 pm

Yes a good read indeed.

Alan.

hubris

#3 Post by hubris » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:28 am

Yes it is interesting. I've personally never owned a gun, but I used to shoot my father's guns (at rabbits and empty beer cans) out on farms for fun as a kid.

While I think there is at present a huge difference between Australia and the US when it comes to gun deaths, ownership, and laws, I think it might be a case against the norm of media advertising where all advertising is good advertising. I think most people, especially outside of the country areas, simply don't want to be reminded of guns.

It's bad enough telling someone (in a city) that you traditional bowhunt, and mentioning an object (bow) that in reality can only be associated with one final purpose for which it was intended. To kill.

I think city people (especially) hate the thought of killing, fullstop, period, no matter the reason. They hate being reminded that their food, shoes, belts etc were all once a living breathing animal that was killed. They even don't want to be reminded that there are people in society who kill the animals for them away out of site;

I recently had dinner with some friends, and while talking about the lamb roast we were eating, one said "Yes, I know it happens, but I just don't want to be reminded about it. Some other unfortunate soul will have to deal with that messy business."

Seeing or reading about objects such as guns, swords, and even a bow fills them with a fear at the reality of what human life was mostly about, and depended upon, for much of our history, and is still does secretly today.

just some thoughts :)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

doug

#4 Post by doug » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:39 am

Life, death. It's all the same thing. Life is built on death in every sense (there is sound physics behind this). Vegetarians are delusional - I have yet to come across and argument against eating meat that is not fundamentally flawed.

-doug
To join Australian Primitive Archery Mailing List email aus-primitive-archery-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

stace

Firearms

#5 Post by stace » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:26 pm

SUZY BALOGH
our gold medal winner in womens trap nailed it in one on 60minutes when she stated that she knew she was from an unpopular sport because whenever a person was shot with a firearm ALL legal firearm owners suffered BUT when a person drowned the swimmers aren't even mentioned .
I have shot rifles/shotguns since age 7(40 years ), shot AA grade trap ,shot muzzleloaders competitively for a number of years,shot pigs since age14, and am in the process of getting my son his minors licence.
Muzzleloadings a lot like archery a lot of trail and error,experimentation on loads/patches ,caps and mostly ONE shot so you make it count . The sons fist gun will be a SINGLE SHOT probably a muzzleloader,he is already a great shot with a bow and will continue with that as well .
AND like bowhunting whether traditional or compound if you only go out for a kill your missing the point and enjoyment.I have strived for years to get my two girls and now my son to enjoy the outdoors for what it is not for a purpose.
Maybe I am rambling but I feel that the city person needs educating and will try everytime I get the chance
ps heading out the range in the morning to blow a bit of blackpowder away
cheers stace

Buford

#6 Post by Buford » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:37 am

Maybe I am rambling but I feel that the city person needs educating and will try everytime I get the chance
Every time I hear this topic raised, the only logical reason I can think of is that for most (not all) city folk in our country, the only experience they have with firearms is either police, security guards and of course criminal acts. Be it dramatized by the media or from personal experience. With that in mind, I think its quite understandable that they associate bad feelings/ fear with such weapons. I'm in no way against firearms, but as you have said, they require educating on they subject.

just my thoughts

cheers
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

GladstoneCrow

#7 Post by GladstoneCrow » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:11 pm

8) This world is full of millions of ethics and values. Every country to its own. Who are we to be judgementive of them when our own garden is not perfect. Firearms differently have their place on this earth as do bows of course. History shows it as a useful tool if used correctly. Man can kill using a motor vehicle, Should we ban them, no educate the uses. ...............Crow 8) 8)
NIGHT-STALKER....DAY-SLEEPER

Tuffcity

#8 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:46 am

Just east of Vancouver (our largest city in BC) in a smaller community called Abbotsford a gun shop opened and some of the local folks were all in a tizzy. With ignorance breeding contempt, the complaints were made to the local town council and the local rag even did a feature story on the new "shop of death". http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/issues04 ... 04nn1.html

Fortunately they sent a reporter who approached this issue with a fairly open mind. Here is one of her follow up stories: http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/issues04 ... 04nn3.html

Her encounter with Mr. Engh brought about this story: http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/issues04 ... 04nn1.html

I've had the pleasure of meeting Rob, and while he is a bit scary looking, is a genuinely nice guy and real ambassador for the shooting sports.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

erron

#9 Post by erron » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:00 pm

Just east of Vancouver (our largest city in BC) in a smaller community called Abbotsford a gun shop opened and some of the local folks were all in a tizzy
RC, we had the exact same thing in the press here yesterday, when an established gun shop wanted to move near a kindergarten! Can't figure out if parents are worried their kid will get shot, or a liking for guns :?

Erron

Buford

#10 Post by Buford » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:13 pm

:shock:
Would you call that "Targeting a younger market"? :D
Fair enough I suppose :) If I was one of those parents, I would be a little concerned about disciplining my child if his school was next to a gun shop!
:lol:
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Tuffcity

#11 Post by Tuffcity » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:22 am

I think safe firearm training and the cause and effects of gunshot wounds should be taught in schools- similar to the programs they have to dissuade youngsters from drinking and driving. It would probably save more lives than any ban or gun control legislation. It would certainly take the "glamour" out of "bustin' a cap on some homie" if students had to attend autopsys, view crime scene photo's and have survivors relate their stories, but also get them out to a range and take away the curiousity factor.

My wife and I adopted the approach that if you take the curiousity factor out then guns aren't the forbidden fruit. Ever since our kids started asking questions about my firearms I've taken the time to open the safe and show them and let them handle them, using each time as a learning opportunity to instill safe handling practices. They've been in the field when game has been taken and they are fully aware of what "dead" is. For them it's not some cool Hollywood special effect. It's also a good opportunity to discuss what to do if they're at a buddies house and he/she says "want to see my dad's guns" when an adult isn't home.

Erron, those kindergarten kids are more likely to get injured by a soccer mom driving an SUV while talking on the cell phone than being hurt by the shop.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

hubris

#12 Post by hubris » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:33 am

Tuffcity wrote:Erron, those kindergarten kids are more likely to get injured by a soccer mom driving an SUV while talking on the cell phone than being hurt by the shop.
Or (In Melbourne) by the soccer dad's mafia hitman with a shotgun hehehe...

Sorry... couldn't help it... it blows me away what's going on down there with the police and the mafia :roll:
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

pete w

#13 Post by pete w » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:57 pm

Its not the gun, its the man.When I was In Kenya,Africa in 94 guns were outlawed.{3 years in jail for possesing bullets!!!!!!}They have more murders than you can imagine.Mostly people are hacked to death with a panga {machetti}or necklaced with a burning tire.There were many tribal conflicts where the bow was the weapon of choice to settle the score.The Massai prefered spears.
Removing guns only changes the weapon the criminal has when he can not get a gun.He will still kill if he is a killer.
I started handling guns and going with my father when I was a child.It was my job to clean the guns after my father went hunting.It taught me a lot about guns and gun safety.I started shooting at about 6 years old and guns were never a curiosity to me.I knew what they were and what they would do.I learned early to respect them and to handle them properly.

A proper gun education has to be responsible.Things like human shillouette targets do not have any place in a good education program.that conditions the wrong concept.leave those for the Military and the police forces.A Bulseye target is great for practice as is a can.

If we taught our kids to shoot the wrong things with bows they would have learned poor values ,and some would take it to the extreme.