Why is it so....

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Why is it so....

#1 Post by rodlonq » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:59 pm

I had a few shots out of one of the Tully boys Huntsman recurve bows on the weekend. I can fully understand the difference in how the weight builds from brace to full draw, between the recurve and the longbow. What I don't get is that when you hold the weight at full draw, a 60# Huntsman feels lighter than my 47# longbow. Why is it so.....?

discord

Re: Why is it so....

#2 Post by discord » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Maybe it's adrenaline from holding a $1500 bow :biggrin:
HAIL ERIS!

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:18 pm

It could be something to do with the way the draw weight increases differently. The recurve might gain the last few pounds of draw weight more gradually as the recurved limbs start to open up, giving you a false sense of the amount of force required. I think you would have to draw up some graphs to fully understand why it feels that way.

If only the old professor Julius S was still with us. He would know! :smile:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Rod,

This may go part way in explaining the phenomena;

From Wiki;

"If a limb is 'straight' its effective length remains the same as the bow is drawn. That is, the string goes directly to the nock in the strung (braced) position. When the limb is recurved (tip of limb away from the archer), the string touches the limb before it gets to the nock. The effective length of the limb, as the draw commences, is therefore shorter. However, as the bow is drawn, the recurve 'unwinds', the limb becomes effectively longer, and the mechanical advantage of the archer increases."

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

toby

#5 Post by toby » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:45 pm

This is even more noticeable in a super curve type recurve limb like a Border Hex6 or Morrison Max1.
Brace heights on these type of bows are also typically under 7 inches.
Lyonel

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Evening Rod and Daryl.

You may find this an interesting read.

http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49208
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

CraigH

#7 Post by CraigH » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Had a pull of a mates 70 pounder (very nice recurve) the other week. Thought I would struggle, maybe I had my weeties that day, but it was smooth. I wouldn't like to shoot that poundage all day, but it felt lighter than some of my 60 pound longbows or lower end recurves.