Carbon, Wood, Aluminium or Other?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

What materials do you use for your arrows?

Carbon
12%
Wood
64%
Aluminium
24%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 25

erron

Carbon, Wood, Aluminium or Other?

#1 Post by erron » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:58 am

Okay people, what is the MAIN material you use for your arrows: Carbon, Wood, Aluminium or another material (cane, stainless steel :wink: ) whatever?

Sewer Rat

#2 Post by Sewer Rat » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:02 pm

Gotta love the Aluminium..... cheap, easy to straighten, and its everywhere...

Papabear

#3 Post by Papabear » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:40 pm

Dad-gummit - I hate to say this as it hurts so much - I agree with Pellegringo on this - cheap and readily available - extremely so!!!
Beware the Bear!!!

Papabear

#4 Post by Papabear » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:42 pm

Dad-gummit - I hate to say this as it hurts so much - I agree with Pellegringo on this - cheap and readily available - extremely so!!!
Beware the Bear!!!

DiamondD

#5 Post by DiamondD » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:21 am

I like them all.

I really love shooting and building wood arrows and they will always be in at least one of my quivers, but I also love the easy quick set up, and the uniformity of 2020 aluminums and Carbonwood shafts.

If I was restricted to only one kind of shafting, I would have to go with the Vapor Carbonwoods.
Dean Daniel

erron

#6 Post by erron » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:26 am

Interesting to see such a spread in the pattern here. I somehow thought wood would win hands down. (try saying that 10 times fast :) )

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:38 pm

If I voted ten times wood would win Erron :lol:

I use only wood and have no interest in shooting any other shaft material. Wood has a certain feel, a character if you like, that no man made material can come close to duplicating.

If you have your arrows matched to your shooting style and bow then I don't know of any bowhunter that can shoot good enough to show up any difference. Jeff

Mark

#8 Post by Mark » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:17 pm

G'day Jeff,
I seem to recall seeing one (only one I must admit) funny looking alloy thingy with inch marks, skulking around in the dark resesses of your workshop once (you must have known that that one would come back and bite you one day!) :oops:

Serriously though I agree with you on the woods, nothing comes out of a trad bow as quiet and sweet as a well matched and well made wooden arras. The trouble though is that not all of us (namely me) have the skill and perserverance to build them.

Horses for corses though I think. My arrows perform well and consistantly for me in any of the conditions I face given the type of hunting that I do.

Mark K.
www.huntsmanbows.com
Australian hand crafted,
custom, takedown recurves.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:26 pm

G'day Mark,

You got me! Yeah that ugly alloy thingy is still there and is even camo I think. :shock: It is handy having the inch marks on it for weighing bows though.

I agree we all have our preferences and when it comes to arras (for shooting) :D it's wood only for me. Jeff

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:27 am

Wood for me. Is there anything else?

I seem to remember some coot talking about this new fangled deal of arrrows made out of tin or plastic or somesuch. Not sure if I believe it though. Can't see as how a bloke can plane down a bit of aluminium bar stock to make a dowel. I reckon someone's having us on.

Can't say as how I've ever had a problem with my wood arrows going to the exact place they were pointing at the time they left the bow every time, damn it!!! So I can't really complain about 'em.

Glenn Newell

#11 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:31 am

I couldn't shoot anything but wood when hunting just from the humane angle alone...Glenn...

Jackrat

#12 Post by Jackrat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:04 am

Iv,e always shot what ever was eazyest to buy,
Now I have started reseaching wood arrows I am pretty much stuck on em,. At one time I didn,t even like wood that much,but now I think they are probably the most versatile. Parallel,reverse taper,double taper,footed,light,medium,heavy,hard wood,soft wood.
I still want to make some Iron wood shafts,if I can just figuer out how to work it.Maybe if I use my father in laws tools.LOL.
Cheers,,,Jack.

erron

#13 Post by erron » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:10 am

I only shoot wood, but Glenn, what did you mean by your statement regarding the humane angle of using wood?

Erron

Glenn Newell

#14 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:34 am

I knew somebody would ask me to please explain and I don't want to stirr up a hornets nest here but if you believe the hype you read about carbon I just couldn't come to terms with shooting and arrow at an animal that was made of carbon, when you consider the implications to your health if you get a carbon splinter in you and how dangerous it is to eat meat that might have carbon splinters in it from a broken arrow. What then is the recovery rate or more to the point life expectancy of animals that have been wounded by a carbon arrow if it has broken off inside the animal. Does a wound with a carbon arrow mean certian death and if so will it have a long and protracted death.
We all know that animals recover fairly quickly from wounds with wooden arrows and most often with no long term effects that has been proven over and over again, but what I have read about carbon arrows I wouldn't think that would be the case, and I wouldn't shoot an aluminuim or fibreglass hunting arrows for the same reason, they just never seemed natural to me, even though we have fibreglass on our bows, the bows are not the terminal tackle of our equipment but the arrows are, so for me from the humane angle it has to be wood and nothing else. Just my two bobs worth, I might be wrong...Glenn...

cave_canem

#15 Post by cave_canem » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:03 pm

Hi all,

Wood only for me as well. Just love the smell, feel and character of wood.

Hope nobody minds, I just want to give a plug for the Hunter Valley Traditional Archers here in NSW. Top club with a hugh membership. We also have some very fine bowyers and arrowsmiths I'm sure most of you might know.

Thanks

Mickey
"You are the bow from which your children as living arrows are sent forth"

erron

#16 Post by erron » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:52 pm

Mickey,

welcome to the campfires, and good to see you posting.
Wood only for me as well. Just love the smell, feel and character of wood.
- absolutely agree! :)
I just want to give a plug for the Hunter Valley Traditional Archers here in NSW.

- go for it, that's one of the reasons this site was set up : so people could 'network' - yechhy yuppie word that is :o Give me the URL and I'll put it on our links! Also, post any shoots you have in the OZ Traditional Events campfire, we all like to hear what others are doing!

I've heard a lot about the Hunter Valley folks (all good! :) ), and am glad to welcome one of you aboard. Feel free to invite your friends!

Cheers,

Erron

erron

#17 Post by erron » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:54 pm

Glenn,

I realized it was a 'Dorothy Dixer' :lol:

Thanks for the answer. I thought that was what you were referring to, having heard the same myself. Does anyone else know of these reports about carbon?

Erron

MarkP

#18 Post by MarkP » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:49 pm

Absolutely wood...!

Jackrat

#19 Post by Jackrat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:20 pm

Glen, Yes I was also waiting for it.
When I first heard about carbon arrows I also heard about the danger of
carbon injestion from splinters.I did a bit of reserch and this is what I came up with.When Carbon first started being used for hunting shafts the
Competition came up with all sorts of horror storys.On looking into it more I found out that no proven case has yet been recorded.Thinking about it from another angle,,How long would an American company stay in biz,if it did happen.They sue gun makers remember.
Then we have carbon in animals,,Well I don,t have an answer for that one
other than inless infection takes place the body will normaly exspell a foreign object over time.I will talk to my Vet about that as it is a good point.It is of course of intrest only to me now as I will be shooting wood from here on.
Cheers,,Jack.

Jackrat

#20 Post by Jackrat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:27 pm

Erron,,Dorothy Dixer????????? :?

erron

#21 Post by erron » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:10 pm

Jack,

Dorothy Dix was a writer who had a weekly column where she answered letters from people with names like 'Worried from Adelaide" and so on. Quite funny really. Dorothy Dixer is an Aussie Politician term for a question asked in Parliament that begs some response, usually of the type that the questioner wants to hear... :lol:

Erron

MIK

#22 Post by MIK » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:46 pm

gotta be wood with the longbow

but then again its gotta be carbon with the compound - need that speed

i know we are talking traditional ... just had to put the other bit in

cant forget ones roots in archery :)

Mr_X

#23 Post by Mr_X » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:05 pm

alluminium - readily available, sleek and durable.

I also prefer a bare compoundbow, no sights no nothing. a reliable tool that can take some abuse.

Cher

#24 Post by Cher » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:02 pm

The very first hunt I went on with Dr. Ashby....had a lovely shiny compound ....and VERY noisy alluminum arrows! All a-glitter! No animal came within my shooting distance before stopping, staring and then turning tail.
Now it's woods. The bows (longbows and recurves only now for my hunting) are now covered with turtle wax to camo them (works well and wipes off).
Have noticed the silence of my equipment, nothing glittering or noisy to scare away the quary.
Don't have the field experience like some of you guys - but to date I'm totally sold on woods (heavy woods with heavy heads).

Perhaps the one thing that scares some away from woods is the terms used. You've just become used to 1816 etc then you're faced with spine, wood types, etc
It is different, but not as hard to understand as some people make out.....lets face it - even I can work them out!
If you have problems understanding the info (or believing some of the hype).....just keep asking.

Cher
p.s. Being a woman bowhunter may just be an advantage - I'm fantastic at nagging until I'm given the answers I'm looking for he-he :lol:

Silverfox.

#25 Post by Silverfox. » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:35 pm

I love nothing better to sit down a put together a set of well matched, crested and stained set of arras. Must be the carpenter in me! I've made them for mates also, free of charge( you supply the stock :wink: ) they just look right in a quiver with a trad bow.

I had a hard time finding good arras for my Widow, but now I'm right! I have shot the Easton Legecy's , I did like them but a bit on the light side.

Regards Alan M. Kidner. 8)
Hunt hard, keep 'em sharp and enjoy the flight of the arrow.