Photos of Trad Shoots

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Do we want more photos from trad shoots?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Yes lots more pictures please.
57%
Yes about the same amount of pictures as the Gympie Trad Shoot.
27%
Yes but not to many, my wife tells me I spend to much time looking at photos on the net.
14%
No get the camera out of my face.
No votes
Photos what photos I didn't see any photos
3%

Total votes: 37

Scrub Bull

Photos of Trad Shoots

#1 Post by Scrub Bull » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Having taken more photos at the Gympie trad shoot than were taken at the last royal wedding.
I have a question for you all. (yes you to sitting in the background there that never posts anything, all you have to do is press one button) :shock:

The last lot I took up a lot of my time and I didn't get to shoot, not much point me doing this if no one wants to see them.
I mostly like doing this so we can get more photos out there to promote trad archery. Anyone that want to use my pictures to promote trad archery feel free to ask me, I'll most likely say yes.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

little arrows

Re: Photos of Trad Shoots

#2 Post by little arrows » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 pm

I did the survey and selected option 2 (I think, it was a good 2 minutes ago). There were lots and lots of photo's and I guess we all don't need that many to get the gist, by the same token, it was fun seeing the different styles of shooting, and I can only imagine the countless hours of editing.
Just a thought, (yes sit down I know I don't have them very often :biggrin:), would it be possible to set up 1 camera on a short target that can capture archer and target, another head on to capture the antics of the archer, so you can also shoot your bow and then shuffle them around the following day. I'm sure you'll work it out.
We actually took some photo's of our group at the Gympie shoot and somehow managed to capture, archer, arrow and target with our tiny camera, I am embarrassed to put them up though 'cause they always end up tiny.
So good on you Mark for all the hours of hard work you put in for all us the view and share with everyone else. I do hope not too many people gave you hard time.

cheers
sue

dan76

#3 Post by dan76 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:19 pm

I like seeing lots of pictures from the shoots, that being said I don't think we need 36660 photos :biggrin: . I don't think anyone wants to see you missing out on shooting all the time either. I for one am grateful you took the time to show case the gympie shoot so well and I look forward to seeing more photos from other shoots.

Dan

littlejohn59

#4 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:09 am

Hey scrub bull
Great photos. My thoughts and my thoughts only. Yeah its nice to have photos but there needs to be a balance. 20 to 30 is a nice round number picking out highlights and various ppl and targets over the course. I agree with Sue,you too are entitled to enjoy the shoot. Like everything in life there needs to be a balance!

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:41 am

Morning Mark.
Scrub Bull wrote:Having taken more photos at the Gympie trad shoot than were taken at the last royal wedding.
I have a question for you all. (yes you to sitting in the background there that never posts anything, all you have to do is press one button) :shock:

The last lot I took up a lot of my time and I didn't get to shoot, not much point me doing this if no one wants to see them.
I mostly like doing this so we can get more photos out there to promote trad archery. Anyone that want to use my pictures to promote trad archery feel free to ask me, I'll most likely say yes.
Well now you have an idea of how it feels. :-)

My extremely biased view.

. You think that is a lot of photos! Start shooting them in RAW format as well .... now.
. It can be difficult to take photos and you will always miss something - get used to it. Why is there always so much shade/bright sun.
. You are taking photos and you want to shoot as well!!! ROFL
. There will always be someone/something/did not ask that you missed and will be chasing a photo of them ...... sometimes months later...
. It is important to take the photos and keep them. They are the record of the events. May not seem important today but in 10, 20, 50, 100 years how will people feel.

And nothing will annoy you more when some crappy shop on the other side of the earth uses one of your photos to promote their shop and does not even acknowledge that they stole the photo from you.

And welcome to the group of very, very few people who are recording the sport. You are now part of the elite.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 am

Well said Grahame.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Mark. I think the best way to do it would be to takes heaps of photos and then cull the k'jeebers out of them leaving us with the best 100 or so shots. Unless you personally know some of the contestants, shot after shot of the various contestants faces can become a little boring. Perhaps some staged group shots could achieve much the same result as what many individual photos could. I particularly like to see what the actual targets/shots are like and how difficult they might be to shoot and these types of photos are always better with someone actually taking the shot. Usually, each shoot will have some very well designed and creative shots that will test the most complacent of contestants. It's always good to see what the facilities are like too, such as the camping area and the rendezvous areas. Any unusual or interesting equipment will always make an for an interesting photo or two. I suppose we all have our favourite types of photos though.

When it comes down to it, I'm happy if/when someone is willing to forgo some of their best shooting opportunities to take up the camera and share the atmosphere and colour of the trad event with the rest of us. I think Mark has definitely set a new standard with his latest efforts. I enjoyed them immensely.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:45 pm

littlejohn59 wrote:Yeah its nice to have photos but there needs to be a balance. 20 to 30 is a nice round number picking out highlights and various ppl and targets over the course.
I agree with Little John.

Although at times a little bit difficult I believe a photo showing the archer / target relationship gives a better perspective of what trad archery is about rather than dozens of mug shots. By all means put in some ‘expressive’ portraits but limit the numbers.

Social interaction after shooting the rounds can provide some extra photographic opportunities.

Perhaps the host club could organise a club member to take / make a photographic record of the event?

As most people have some form of digital photography at their disposal another option could be that each shoot group take five photographs over the weekend.

If we have eighty shooters put into groups of five that means sixteen groups and a total of eighty photos.

If done in this manner it requires very little effort and gives an opportunity for everyone to appear in at least one photograph.

To take the concept one step further the individuals could email their five photos to a pre arranged email address where the photos could be resized to a common format ready for uploading.
GrahameA wrote:And welcome to the group of very, very few people who are recording the sport. You are now part of the elite.
'elite'?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Mark, et al.
(... yes you to sitting in the background there that never posts anything, all you have to do is press one button) ...
Another $0:02 worth of extremely biased opinion.

You asked the question and got the following views of the question.
tradphotos2.jpg
tradphotos2.jpg (4.99 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
And the following replied.
tradphotos.jpg
tradphotos.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
So of the 133 views 7 people bothered to reply or 5%

Of the 133 views you got 20 who voted. Or 15%.

There are 2060 odd registered users of this site (and there are some who are not active).

Given those sort of numbers take the sorts of photos that please you. Do not even try to please the general public. Equally take photos because you enjoy taking them not because people want them on the forum. Be your own critic - you decide what makes a good photo and don't be swayed by the critics. Just because I or anyone else have an opinion that a photo is good or bad is of nil consequence. To sum it all up do it for yourself.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by kerry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am

Hi Grahame, when you say its 15% of the viewers that voted, it makes me wonder what percentage of the members on here actually go to trad shoots,could it be that possibly is the reason why they haven't voted ? cheers Kerry
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Scrub Bull

#11 Post by Scrub Bull » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40 am

GrahameA
Your numbers are going to be way off.
Why? Every time someone looks at this post it counts as a view, I myself must have 20+ views as I keep checking the results, you have posted here twice so you have had 2 views or more.

Why am I taking these photos?
Jeff wanted more photos on Ozbow. (I think I did that)
To help promote trad archery. (I am working on that with others)
To show others what happens at Trad shoots in Qld. (that is a work in progress)
To test my skills and ideas in taking out of the ordinary shots. (I think I did that, and I have lots more ideas to come)
I love taking photos (only when my brain is in the right place)

Why this poll?
To see what people want.( If they don't vote they get what I put up, that simple)

Those that have replied and voted thank you, it has given me some more ideas.

At hinterland I will be shooting and taking photos. I have a few ideas on how to do this and get just as may photos. ( Yep a few add ons for the cameras to make this happen)
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Mark,
Scrub Bull wrote:Your numbers are going to be way off.
Why? Every time someone looks at this post it counts as a view, I myself must have 20+ views as I keep checking the results, you have posted here twice so you have had 2 views or more.
No, the numbers are good for the time. I did a screen print as as roughly 0830 this morning. The count will continue but at that stage they were the numbers.

If we were doing some serious market research we approach the whole thing differently. Even so when you start looking at things the audience numbers are low.
Grahame.

Ian Turner

#13 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes i like to pictures of the shoots.
The ones that Lycra man took at Rob's at the October 2013 were great.
I also like to see the pics as it shows what to expect if you have not been to that range or area before and also helps to show other people what an event is like.
Cheers
Ian

sina55

#14 Post by sina55 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am

Hi Mark
For people who can't get to the shoots seeing the pictures is the only way to see what is going on.
I feel it also creates interest in either trying to attend a shoot our organising thier own.
Photos a great way of showing how to do something and any body who has a mild interest in doing thier own shoot can certianly benefit from these. Especially photos of targets, courses, facilities and
terrain.

Regards Jo and Gary

bigbob

#15 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Grahame sometimes I wonder if your not being a little pedantic in attitude across a spectrum of postings. I certainly respect your intellect and knowledge but at times there are shades of grey and not clearly delineated black or white answers.Not everything can be neatly pigeonholed and conform to strict parameters. :mrgreen: :smile: No offence meant just an observation.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

cave_canem

#16 Post by cave_canem » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi All,

This is certainly becoming an interesting thread.

As someone who shoots professionally for a stock library and the occasional wedding or commercial assignment, I find that most folks don't want to see thousands of photo's of the same thing. This of course is subject to the requirements of the shoot. For me, I receive a photo brief of what the customer wants / needs. For example, I may shoot one hundred images on the day (swimsuit model), but will provide a selection of five photo's (the best of the shoot) to the customer.

On a wedding assignment I will shoots heaps of photo's, but only show the best work of the shoot, maybe a few hundred images. By the way, I still shoot film - Medium Format / Large Format with some 35mm as well (love Fuji Velvia 50, Kodak Portra 400, Kodak Tri-X 400).

I think Mark has given us an accurate account of the Gympie Trad shoot (which I missed due to work commitments) which is what he intended. (Go digital photography). Well done Mark on the volume of photo's that you have provided for all of us to enjoy.

For me, there are lot's of images of the same thing / situation, just with different people, which is fine if you are recording a detailed photo shoot of the event.

As for your question, do we want more photos from trad shoots ? - Yes Keep them coming. Although, I don't think I would like to go through and edit 36,660 photos for a submission.

Awesome job Mark, well done.
"You are the bow from which your children as living arrows are sent forth"