A simple question

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

cmoore

A simple question

#1 Post by cmoore » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:29 am

I've been pondering this for the past few weeks and I can't seem to put my finger on it, why is it that we bowyers do what do? Make bow after bow after bow, I mean if one simply wants a bow, & wants to craft it themselves then surely upon finishing it they would step back and say 'done', attain some arrows and enjoy using their creation.
Why then does the urge spring up to make another? Why is it so addictive & consuming? From my experience it's almost like a demonic posession that takes over and consumes you & once in a while you take a step back, remove yourself from the process & think...'it's just in essence a bendy stick'.... I guess in the end that perhaps it's more about the journey than the end result? The end result is a given, the journey there is anything but
Set Happens

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A simple question

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi Cam,

I think the main reasons I continue to make bows are;

1. The next one will be made to a higher standard of finish.

2. There are so many styles/types of bows and materials available that there is a constant challenge to master these designs.

3. I love working with timber and hand tools.

4. It keeps the brain active and it is a marvellous hobby that I can enjoy in retirement.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:59 pm

what Daryl said, agree with it all.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

sina55

#4 Post by sina55 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 pm

If you have sex and produce a lovelly child do you never have sex again?
Is not the purpose of the exersize to have satisfaction in producing something so wonderfull?
I have two children (grown up now) and have lost count of the bows i have made.
Enjoy all life has to offer.

Gary

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 am

Ditto to all above. :smile: