does anyone prospect while out hunting?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

does anyone prospect while out hunting?

#1 Post by clinton miller » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:32 pm

hey guys, anyone do any prospecting while out hunting? thinking about carrying a pan with me in some areas and having a go. not sure about the legal side of doing this. any help on that front would be great.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

RobHunter

Re: does anyone prospect while out hunting?

#2 Post by RobHunter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Hey Clinton

This site has a summary of prospecting for each state

http://www.prospectorspatch.com.au/esho ... -Laws.html

I do know that where I used to Shoot 30 odd years ago mineral rights on crown land were all
booked out. If one of the local prospectors ( who owned the rights) found someone with
prospecting gear on there claims a firearm would appear - this was in central Vic, where
they were finding alot of 2 oz nuggets.

Rgds

Rob

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 pm

I did many years prospecting back in N.Q quite some time ago and most property owners then were quite happy to have some one who only carried a shovel,pan and if they knew you a detector wandering about as long as they knew your whereabouts. Why they liked to know who was using detectors was some clowns dug holes all over the property and left them unfilled, perfect traps for any one mustering on horse back. One used to obtain a permit then called a 'miners right' which gave access to a lot of land that wasn't under an ATP[ authority to prospect] by large companies.I am sure things might be vastly different these days regarding required process.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

discord

#4 Post by discord » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Hey Clinton
Quite a few NSW state forests allow fossicking, even some of the R-license hunting approved ones.
http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/v ... fossicking
HAIL ERIS!

texx

#5 Post by texx » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:06 pm

you need a permit in qld cost is 50 odd bucks for a family one think thats what i paid last year . you can get it by mail from a few places ( metal detecting shop southside of brissy ) ( i cant remember bugger all lately, lucky my ute knows the way home )or if you are in toowoomba you can get it from the map bloke and i cant think of his name either . the permit lasts 12 months from the date you buy it . don tknow what a single one costs cos i always get the family one in case the good wife wants to do a bit of panning but that has never happened .

johno

if i remember any names i will add them to the post .
always seems to happen when its least expected most