Curve for a longer draw

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Tyler Atkinson

Curve for a longer draw

#1 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at getting back into shooting a little bit of recurve.
My problem is that I am a 32 inch draw and am having trouble finding a curve that wont stack up on me.
Dad had a cascade golden hawk magnum 48" in 60lb, but he got rid of it cause he was looking at buying something else. I could shoot it well, really should have bought it off him I think.
the cascade and a longbow a mate made up for me and a mates 80lb war bow type thing are the only trad bows I've shot at full draw without them stacking on me.

Not really wanting to spend a fortune on anything.

Thanks for any help
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com
www.tjatkinsonknives.webs.com

little arrows

Re: Curve for a longer draw

#2 Post by little arrows » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Tyler,

If this sentence of your post - (Dad had a cascade golden hawk magnum 48" in 60lb, ) is written correctly, then at your lengthy draw a 48" bow would be horrific to draw and yes it would stack.
I would suggest perhaps you look at a 62" recurve and perhaps one of the Sage range of bows may suit your budget. This link will give you some information and rough price ideas then you could check the Trad shop sites on the ozbow front page to see which bows they also carry - http://search.3riversarchery.com/buy/bo ... curve-bows

cheers
sue

Tyler Atkinson

#3 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi little arrow,
sorry the magnum was 52" not the 48". It is the only recurve bow that hasn't stacked on me.
I've shot some of the longer samicks and they still stack up on me.

Thanks
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com
www.tjatkinsonknives.webs.com

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:36 am

Tyler, Stacking is a result of the String Angles on a Bow approaching 90 degree's. Assuming proper Tiller a short Bows String Angles generally approach 90 Degree's before a Longer Bow so I am puzzled why a 62" Bow would Stack more than a 52" Bow for you. I have shot expensive 62" Recurves that Stacked due to poor Tiller and $150 62" Recurves that where smooth to Draw due to great Tiller. Please don't dismiss a Bow based on Brand or Price Point, shoot the individual Bow before Buying if possible.

Shorter Recurves also generally have higher Brace Heights and therefore shorter Power Strokes than longer Recurves. The longer Power Stroke a Bow has the more energy it imparts to the Arrow. Despite being dead sexy short Bows are a poor choice in my view for longer draw Archers. You must be a Tall Lad with Long Arms and Broad Shoulders if your Draw Length is 32" with a Trad Bow. In my view even a 62" Recurve is too short for you. If your Draw Length when you shoot a Compound is 32" your Trad Bow Draw Length will be as much as 2" Shorter.

I'd recommend you look about for a minimum Bow Length of 66" as they are smoother to draw and more forgiving of Form errors. The Bow will still be shorter than you and you will be surprised at how tight cover needs to be to prevent a shot with longer Bows. The problem with 66" though is limited choice in Budget to mid price Range Hunting Weight Recurve Bows this long other than ILF Bows. They are available in a wide range of longer Riser lengths and 3 Limb Length options at Budget Prices. Hunting Weights are readily available. ILF Bows tend to get a few Folks about the place a bit exited about not being Trad.

If fitting into Trad without controversy is important to you and considering you have a limited Budget look for a 64" Recurve or preferably a 68" straight limbed or Deflex Reflex Bow like Samick or the Internature Brand. I've owned a couple of the Internature Vipers and they are a reasonable Deflex Reflex Bow for the money.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

wal

#5 Post by wal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Here's what a 52" Golden Hawk Magnum looks like stretched out to 31, the smoothest sweetest bows I've shot, the brush hawk longbows are beautiful . Shows what a bloke can come up with when he wants to design and build magnum bows with high end performance, Steve Gore apparently set out with that in mind and thats what he is generally credited with achieving, great reputation in the staes.

Tyler and the Cascade

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:15 pm

I agree with Wal 100% as I have three Cascades now and have had six in total and one of those was the one Tyler is drawing in the pic. Admittedly my draw length is a lot shorter than Tylers but all of my Cascades draw so smooth even when knuckle draggers :biggrin: have a shot with them.
Keep your eye on US Ebay or Stickbow Tyler as I got my latest Cascade of Stickbow for $560 Au delivered and it is
a 58" Whitetail Hawk 52# at 29" and came with Neet take down soft case and not a mark on either.
cheers
Matt

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Tyler,

Here is a useful rule of thumb based on draw length from the wooden bow days and is still useful with modern materials - Minimum bow limb length should be 2x draw length PLUS handle (not riser) length. Longer is better and not necessarily slower. The second rule of thumb which is still useful is that if you cannot hold the drawn bow at your full draw for at least 10 seconds without stress, then the bow is too heavy for you.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.