AGAINST THE ANIMAL RIGHTS PHILOSOPHY

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Dennis La Varenne

AGAINST THE ANIMAL RIGHTS PHILOSOPHY

#1 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:40 pm

To those of you interested in matters philosophical, I recently, I came across this article whilst looking up the publications by the British philosopher, Roger Scruton, who has been giving some talks on ABC radio. The article at this site was first published in the New Statesman newspaper as a critique of Peter Singer's latest book at that time entitled "Fourth Estate" ISBN 1841155500.

Scruton points out some very intersting inconsistencies in Singer's argument on animal 'rights' and his reasons.

At any rate, here is the URL - http://www.ukapologetics.net/antisinger.htm

Roger Scruton has also published a book on hunting - "On Hunting - a Short Polemic". This book deals principally with Fox Hunting as practised in the UK, so I do not know if there are any arguments relevant to hunting as it is practised in Australia. When I receive my copy of his book, I can let members know more.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

jindydiver

Re: AGAINST THE ANIMAL RIGHTS PHILOSOPHY

#2 Post by jindydiver » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for sharing that Dennis :biggrin:
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln