WOOD. 3rd most important thing to man?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

cmoore

WOOD. 3rd most important thing to man?

#1 Post by cmoore » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 am

The thought occured to me the other day just how important and crucial wood has been to mans survival. In my mind I've placed it up there as being as important as food & water! Just a bit of food for thought :lol: whats everyones opinion on this one?

Cheers
Set Happens

morganp

Re: WOOD. 3rd most important thing to man?

#2 Post by morganp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:34 am

Interesting train of thought mate. Especially when you think of wood as shelter and tool.
I think I prefer a non-hierarchical connection though, less what is first, second, third in importance and more like the interconnected circle of life.
NO NOT the greeny, fantasy one, my circle of life includes predation as a major theme!

Flatliner

#3 Post by Flatliner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:10 pm

I agree cmoore,,, maybe not the third but it's definitely up there in the top 10.
I find it a little surprising that when listing the most critical things needed for survival most people seem to forget clean air, which is obviously the single most important thing, I mean you have literally about 4 minutes to live without it.
But I guess it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing too cause if we didn't have the trees we wouldn't have the clean air.

Just a thought, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

cmoore

#4 Post by cmoore » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Bam!, good thinkin Rob :mrgreen: didn't even think of that myself! :oops: ....God bless them trees
Set Happens

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:26 pm

I suggest wood was crucial to the evolution of Homo Sapiens.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

perry

#6 Post by perry » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:57 am

While Wood has proved very important throughout our evolution I don't think it's essential, It's just so convenient and versatile. Maybe if you expand the subject to Plant Fibre[ Grasses, Bamboo and the like !! Look at how some Peoples of the Artic regions survived without a ready supply of Wood, Plant Fibres etc and substituted entire Animals in it's place to make Shelter, Bows, other tools and Fat for Fuel. It is hard to imagine how we would have evolved, developed Fire etc without it though.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:36 am

without trees and green plants life for mammals as we know them [and other animals] would not have started on this planet as they converted C02 to O. so the 4 minute thing without clean air goes to equal number 1. The only mechanism to trap and store the suns energy until the advent of solar cell systems were found in plants. All our plastics and 2000 other important products are derived also from plants even fossil based fuels like oil. gas and coal, so too timber/wood fibre as a fuel. This is before you consider food, shelter, paper, books and learning and do not forget weapons. The misuse is also possibly the mechanism of our destruction. Even modern weapons need the use of wood fibre to some degree during their production in the micro or larger scale/view.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.