Why deal with Australian based suppliers?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

longbowinfected

Why deal with Australian based suppliers?

#1 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 pm

I posted this at another site but it is important to give praise where it is deserved.

One of the young blokes in our club Mountain Archers was given a Martin Longbow by his Dad. This kid is very responsible and looks after his gear. This kid is very mature and can be trusted to act as field captain. The bow is his pride and joy. Then it de laminates. He is dismayed. We recommend that his Dad drop Abbey in Castle Hill, Sydney a line. Even though Martin's current situation is a bit up in the air we tell him Abbey is a fair dealer and Martin a quality product. We lent him another longbow which had been provided to me by another supplier [John McDonald of AMSO 128] to loan to newcomers/folks just getting started/folk with problems/hardship. Kid can keep shooting.
Abbey dealt with this promptly and kept him informed all the way. Bow has been issued a passport, done a trip, been repaired and now back in the hands of a very happy young man. He is a bit embarrassed about all the attention too.

I am sure all of the other Australian suppliers would go to the same trouble. We rarely see praise, many are quick to drop a bucket on suppliers.
This story underlines why it is good to deal with local suppliers. This grows our local support by making sure materials and support are available. In this case the young archer would be very loyal to archery itself. No one bagged anyone and no one had a negative comment throughout the whole process.

Well done Abbey. Well done John.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Ian Turner

Re: Why deal with Australian based suppliers?

#2 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Kevin,
I have to agree; both Abbey and John have been of excellent service to me and both go out of their way to help.
Cheers
IAN

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks for sharing Kevin. It is good to see the larger stores looking after Trad, as well as John and Tradbits.

cheers
sue

morganp

#4 Post by morganp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Unfortunately a lot of the bad stories are true and suppliers and manufacturers these days are working to a different bottom line. It is not just nostalgia to say things are worse today; there have been many bad dealers over many years as human nature includes nasty people but the percentage these days, certainly in my experience in many different things, is worse.

It isn't always money that counts, I get many different goods from abroad and on eBay because of budget constraints and because often the goods in stores are sourced in the same factories. I find the service and even backup from the much reviled Chinese companies is in many cases superior to homegrown. So it is especially important we hear these good stories and recommendations so we know who to support locally and where to go when we purchase.

When I can, and when quality is important, I buy local. Abbey are now in my bookmarks (JCM has been for ages).
Thanks for that.

rmcpb

#5 Post by rmcpb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 am

Great outcome Kevin. Abbey proved themselves in this matter, it would have been relatively easy for them to duck.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:25 am

Great outcome indeed. I strongly suspect Abbey have a loyal customer for years to come. Does your lad want the longbow back?
When he does give us a yell. It was great that you guys passed on the loaner bow. Lot of sharing goes on in archery. it is great to see.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi all,
I think an important point we all need to keep in mind is that money we spend in Australia on Australia made or even just with Australian retailers helps to keep Australians in work and anyone who has tried to find a job recently and anyone who has kids and grandkids who are trying to find work will know how had it is now and will appreciate where I am coming from here.

Lets make jobs for ozzies a priority people in other countries certainly look after there own its about time we did here in Australia.

OK i am off my soapbox now.

Cheers
Ian

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 pm

I go to the same church Ian, I was made redundant over a year ago. Lot of people I know at my age just in my own club have had this experience. If you cannot buy Australian, at least buy from a company that employs Australians.

Kevin